Latest on Hopkins situation is... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Latest on Hopkins situation is...

I hope not, guy is very likeable but he doesnt recruit too well and his team always chokes in march. I would almost prefer Jamie Dixon the king of chokers lol.
Wright went to the Final Four in '09 - lost to eventual champions North Carolina. I don't know why you think he can't recruit. He's very good at it and is particularly good at recruiting guards.

i've heard it all now. there must be some godwin's law for people invoking holocaust denial as being similar to things that are much more debatable

It's usually two sides of the same coin: Hitler/Holocaust.

They are always out early in every tournament except the one you referred to just like Pitt. He is awesome at recruiting guards, but he usually struggles with recruiting bigs. Don't get me wrong Jay Wright is awesome, but I would rather have some like Shaka Smart.

I hope not, guy is very likeable but he doesnt recruit too well and his team always chokes in march. I would almost prefer Jamie Dixon the king of chokers lol.

Anyone can recruit here. He has no pitch for guys going to Nova. They are second class. We are first class. Saying his teams always choke in March is silly.

Anyone can recruit here. He has no pitch for guys going to Nova. They are second class. We are first class. Saying his teams always choke in March is silly.

Villanova Season By Season Results
SEASONW-LRESULTS
20130-1Lost to North Carolina in first round, 78-71
20110-1Lost to George Mason in first round, 61-57
20101-1Defeated Robert Morris in first round, 73-70
Lost to Saint Mary's in second round, 75-68
20094-1Defeated American University in first round, 80-67
Defeated UCLA in second round, 89-69
Defeated Duke in regional semifinal, 77-54
Defeated Pittsburgh in regional final, 78-76
Lost to North Carolina in National Semifinal, 83-69
20082-1Defeated Clemson in first round, 75-69
Defeated Siena in second round, 84-72
Lost to Kansas in regional semifinal, 72-57
20070-1Lost to Kentucky in first round, 6

Doesnt seem like that great of results to me, especially since they have been favorites the past few yrs

Jay Wright will jump knowing he is much more likely to win championships here.

Shaka Smart already refused a bunch of good schools and I don't think we can afford the kind of money it would take to bring him. He will either go to a blueblood (UK, Kansas, UNC, Duke) or the NBA.

If Roy Williams can go from being a longtime UNC assistant to head coach at Kansas and then back to UNC as head coach, then Hopkins can go from Syracuse to BC and back to Syracuse. I don't see why Hopkins would suddenly be dead to Syracuse if he accepted a PROMOTION to head coach somewhere. Presumably he'd still want to come back as a head coach when Boeheim retires. He'll be taking on some risk, as if he tanks as a coach Syracuse's interest would wane. But if he does well, Syracuse would reap the benefit of a Hopkins who has already worked out some of the new head coach kinks.
And Roy even turned down the UNC job once before accepting it the second time around.

Villanova Season By Season Results
SEASONW-LRESULTS
20130-1Lost to North Carolina in first round, 78-71
20110-1Lost to George Mason in first round, 61-57
20101-1Defeated Robert Morris in first round, 73-70
Lost to Saint Mary's in second round, 75-68
20094-1Defeated American University in first round, 80-67
Defeated UCLA in second round, 89-69
Defeated Duke in regional semifinal, 77-54
Defeated Pittsburgh in regional final, 78-76
Lost to North Carolina in National Semifinal, 83-69
20082-1Defeated Clemson in first round, 75-69
Defeated Siena in second round, 84-72
Lost to Kansas in regional semifinal, 72-57
20070-1Lost to Kentucky in first round, 6

Doesnt seem like that great of results to me, especially since they have been favorites the past few yrs

You are missing the point man, no biggie. Wright has gotten to the Dance a bunch with ok players at best. Give him the guys we have and he will win early and often. If Jay Wright left Nova, they would turn in to Providence or BC overnight.

I get what your saying, just saying recruiting will pick up because he is going from Villanova to SU i dont buy. If you put Hopkins at Villanova he will pull major talent out of the area, Jay Wright has a problem doing that. He couldnt grab Roberson and he could offer him lots of PT right from the getgo. Dont get me wrong Jay Wright is an awesome guy, class act, i just think if Hopkins leaves, this will be a premier destination that can get a candidate that can recruit slightly better than Jay Wright.

I get what your saying, just saying recruiting will pick up because he is going from Villanova to SU i dont buy. If you put Hopkins at Villanova he will pull major talent out of the area, Jay Wright has a problem doing that. He couldnt grab Roberson and he could offer him lots of PT right from the getgo. Dont get me wrong Jay Wright is an awesome guy, class act, i just think if Hopkins leaves, this will be a premier destination that can get a candidate that can recruit slightly better than Jay Wright.

I don't agree. Jay Wright does not have the Dome, campus visits to games with 30K fans, nor a school that was going to be in ACC conference to sell to recruits. That's like saying Hopkins would pull the same talent if he was at St. Bonaventure as he does at SU.

If Hop leaves I hope they can get a candidate who can recruit as well as he.

Hop can leave and we get Jay Wright in 2 years. I'd be down for that.

Not specifically asking you Zeek, but I just can't believe that Wright is a legit option. He must be very comfortable at Nova, and he has no ties to Syracuse besides respect for the school. He's also gotta be in his late forties, why would he want to move up the thruway and follow a HOF? I get the ACC thing, 30k, blah blah, blah... Not enough IMO

My gut feeling is that he stays or waits for a better oppertunity.
7ba0207e4fb7394b714a39530055ab32c6ed997fea7590673af08c36d8ea8591.jpg

Jay Wright is not coming to Syracuse, neither is Brad Stevens, you people need a reality check

gilardino said:
Hopkins in talk with cuse right now. The longer this goes the better the chances Hop reamains at cuse. Holwand will go to Cali
What are they talking about? Jesus?

gilardino said:
Hopkins in talk with cuse right now. The longer this goes the better the chances Hop reamains at cuse. Holwand will go to Cali

Of course he's in talks with SU. BC gave him a timeframe. Probably 48-72 hours.

Howland is a weird dude.

Don't you this disturbing? Shouldn't Hopkins know his status vis a vis Su by now? What about Boeheim? Hasn't he made it know to Hopkins and SU what the future is? Doesn't he feel that Hopkins would've the best going forward and give Hopkins some idea of what his future is?soundslikeHopkins is frustrated and needs assurances or more $. Are we Togo through this every year til boeheimannounceshis farewell tour?

Don't you this disturbing? Shouldn't Hopkins know his status vis a vis Su by now? What about Boeheim? Hasn't he made it know to Hopkins and SU what the future is? Doesn't he feel that Hopkins would've the best going forward and give Hopkins some idea of what his future is?soundslikeHopkins is frustrated and needs assurances or more $. Are we Togo through this every year til boeheimannounceshis farewell tour?
There won't be a JB farewell tour. Not his style. He will announce his retirement after the season. What season that is, remains to be seen.

And none of us know what he has told SU/Hop/Juli/anyone.

Well it appears he has told Hopkins shat! And gee good luck!

Doesn't sound like a happy family. Regardless not a good turn of events for as U especially if recruits see Hopkins one foot out of the door.

Last edited:
I think JB was suppose to have retired by now but he hasn't and Hopkins is simply tired of wating I can't say I blame him. I wonder what happens to the program if Hopkins leaves. I don't think it will be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom