LaVar: Homeschooling LaMelo; 'no distractions' | Syracusefan.com

LaVar: Homeschooling LaMelo; 'no distractions'

I have stopped clicking on all ESPN or other website related articles on the Balls. Just sick of them for the faux fame. Like the Kardashian family. I don't mind clicking here though, big brother not watching my clicks.

How are his grades judged by the NCAA?

Of course if he profits from his own shoes, he'll be playing in Europe anyway.

As an aside, why have we let this narcissistic buffoon become worthy of one column inch of attention? :noidea:
IIRC, in most states, you can't just claim "homeschooling". There are certain basic curricula available to follow, especially for areas where you (as the instructor parent) have no expertise. There is testing you must pass in order to receive a diploma from some accredited for- or non-profit body. I would imagine that LaMelo would still have to take the SAT/ACT and submit the scores to the NCAA clearinghouse in order to be eligible to play in college, assuming he doesn't play overseas for a year and then enter the draft.

If I'm a college coach, regardless of how good, bad, or indifferent a player LaMelo is, I want absolutely less than no part of him because I don't want his father in my building unless he's bought a ticket. LaMelo is just not worth the trouble that's irrevocably attached to him.

I love LaMelo's quote in there, rejoicing about the end of "book work". The shackles are off--now he can truly LEARN, without all those stupid books bogging him down!

No distractions!!...except LaVar himself, who is a giant, walking distraction.

If his sons choose to play in college they will have coaches lining up for their services. Not a fan of the Dad, and not as enamored with his oldest son's game as the experts, but the kids in the interactions I have seen with them in the media seem very well adjusted. The reaction the Ball family receives reminds me of when Richard Williams was putting the tennis world on notice, and Venus and Serena also seem to be fine.

IIRC, in most states, you can't just claim "homeschooling". There are certain basic curricula available to follow, especially for areas where you (as the instructor parent) have no expertise. There is testing you must pass in order to receive a diploma from some accredited for- or non-profit body. I would imagine that LaMelo would still have to take the SAT/ACT and submit the scores to the NCAA clearinghouse in order to be eligible to play in college, assuming he doesn't play overseas for a year and then enter the draft.

If I'm a college coach, regardless of how good, bad, or indifferent a player LaMelo is, I want absolutely less than no part of him because I don't want his father in my building unless he's bought a ticket. LaMelo is just not worth the trouble that's irrevocably attached to him.

You are exactly right.

Home school curriculum still needs to be approved by whatever school district he is living in, and to a higher level the state in which you are in. You can't just claim "homeschool" and do whatever you want. There is a lot of red tape that needs to be crossed first. Add on top of that the NCAA clearing, SAT's and his dad, and you're right..."Get Out While You Still Can!!!!!"

If his sons choose to play in college they will have coaches lining up for their services. Not a fan of the Dad, and not as enamored with his oldest son's game as the experts, but the kids in the interactions I have seen with them in the media seem very well adjusted. The reaction the Ball family receives reminds me of when Richard Williams was putting the tennis world on notice, and Venus and Serena also seem to be fine.

Hmmm, I wonder why that is. There's been some really despicable comments made about Lavar and his family on this board.

Hmmm, I wonder why that is. There's been some really despicable comments made about Lavar and his family on this board.

Just stop. Completely unnecessary.

I don't know if Lavar truly is doing this for his kids or his family, but it sure seems like he's doing it for himself. The ultimate living out his dreams through his kids. I hope the kids come through it well in spite of dad, not because of it.

I've seen the comments about him (many of them I agree with), but have there really been them about the kids too?

Just stop. Completely unnecessary.

I don't know if Lavar truly is doing this for his kids or his family, but it sure seems like he's doing it for himself. The ultimate living out his dreams through his kids. I hope the kids come through it well in spite of dad, not because of it.

It's too bad the truth bothers you so much.

What should I stop? I told the truth. Some people on this board have said some awful things about the Balls. That is a fact. Why do you take issue with that statement?

You told the truth you believe.

I'm not playing your reindeer race games today. I could care less who anyone marries. Have at it. Come join the joyous members of our club.

But that's not why people say mean things about LaVar. He's a misogynist. He's arrogant beyond his abilities. He may actually be hurting the development of his younger kids. Those are the truths I see.

Everything I've seen LaVar do is for his kids. In a society that seems to have far too many absentee fathers it's a shame this guy gets blasted the way he does.

I personally do not have any kids but have been involved in children's lives for years and one thing I can say is that homeschooling seems like a far better option than public schools.

The last thing I think Papa Ball would do is put his kid in a bad situation or a situation that would hurt his future. This guy cares about his kids.

Everything I've seen LaVar do is for his kids. In a society that seems to have far too many absentee fathers it's a shame this guy gets blasted the way he does.

I personally do not have any kids but have been involved in children's lives for years and one thing I can say is that homeschooling seems like a far better option than public schools.

The last thing I think Papa Ball would do is put his kid in a bad situation or a situation that would hurt his future. This guy cares about his kids.

I do have a kid, and let's say I disagree with your assessment.

I do have a kid, and let's say I disagree with your assessment.

Different locations I'm sure can have different assessments and I'm sure you're right where you are. But if you look at other areas, specifically places I've lived, the schools just suck. Syracuse the schools are awful in the city, almost the entire state of Florida and here in Vegas they're absolute crap. I'm sure they're quite solid in VT but the public school system is just failing in many other areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom