LaVar: Homeschooling LaMelo; 'no distractions' | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LaVar: Homeschooling LaMelo; 'no distractions'

Different locations I'm sure can have different assessments and I'm sure you're right where you are. But if you look at other areas, specifically places I've lived, the schools just suck. Syracuse the schools are awful in the city, almost the entire state of Florida and here in Vegas they're absolute crap. I'm sure they're quite solid in VT but the public school system is just failing in many other areas.

Solid, but looking at our second teacher strike in 3 years, so ask me again tomorrow how I feel. The teachers in our district are the highest paid in the state and they are planning on striking tomorrow. Because we only pay 80% of their health benefits.

You told the truth you believe.

I'm not playing your reindeer race games today. I could care less who anyone marries. Have at it. Come join the joyous members of our club.

But that's not why people say mean things about LaVar. He's a misogynist. He's arrogant beyond his abilities. He may actually be hurting the development of his younger kids. Those are the truths I see.

I'll remind you of some of the things that were said about the Balls, if you like. Or maybe some of the things you've said to me. They're in the same category. But I know you don't want facts to get in the way of your feelings.

Last edited:
I'll remind you of some of the things that were said about the Balls, if you like. Or maybe some of the thing you've said to me. They're in the same category. But I know you don't want facts to get in the way of your feelings.

I'd love to have you tell me what you think I've said about you. Please, fact away.

I'd love to have you tell me what you think I've said about you. Please, fact away.
What, is your memory shot? How convenient. I'm sure you can recall your own racial ishposting about me and mine, Mr. button pusher. We can take this to PM, if you like. Send me a message, I'll answer it.

What, is your memory shot? How convenient. I'm sure you can recall your own racial ishposting about me and mine, Mr. button pusher. We can take this to PM, if you like. Send me a message, I'll answer it.

Done, let me have it.

If his sons choose to play in college they will have coaches lining up for their services. Not a fan of the Dad, and not as enamored with his oldest son's game as the experts, but the kids in the interactions I have seen with them in the media seem very well adjusted. The reaction the Ball family receives reminds me of when Richard Williams was putting the tennis world on notice, and Venus and Serena also seem to be fine.
Nobody is lining up for the middle kid. No real size or talent. LaMelo remains to be seen...

Nobody is lining up for the middle kid. No real size or talent. LaMelo remains to be seen...

Well, he's already on UCLA's team. That said, he is by far the worst of the three.

Well, he's already on UCLA's team. That said, he is by far the worst of the three.
I'm not impressed by either of the 2 youngest Balls. Still not completely sold on Lonzo having sustained success in the nba. He has a terrible looking stroke. I also think guys are going to go extra hard on him due to daddy's big mouth.

Shot 41% on almost 200 attempts last year.

Still has a terrible looking stroke. I posted about Ingram the other day. He shot well in college with an ugly stroke, and shot very poorly as a rookie. Lakers overhauled his form this summer.

Will be interesting to see if they do with Ball, too.

I'm not impressed by either of the 2 youngest Balls.

WC7YPmZ-2.png

Still has a terrible looking stroke. I posted about Ingram the other day. He shot well in college with an ugly stroke, and shot very poorly as a rookie. Lakers overhauled his form this summer.

Will be interesting to see if they do with Ball, too.

I don't think papa will allow them to change it. I've always been in the mindset that if it works, don't change it.

Solid, but looking at our second teacher strike in 3 years, so ask me again tomorrow how I feel. The teachers in our district are the highest paid in the state and they are planning on striking tomorrow. Because we only pay 80% of their health benefits.

You sound a little, dare I say, fiscally conservative. :D

I don't think papa will allow them to change it. I've always been in the mindset that if it works, don't change it.

We’ll see if it works at that level. I’m skeptical.

I remember Josh Wright hit a lot of 3’s in high school, but he shot from his chest. He wasn’t much of a 3 point shooter in college.

An elite athlete and player making shots at a lower level doesn’t always translate. Hope it does, but we’ll see.

It is awfully tough to change it that late with years and thousands and thousands of shots worth of muscle memory built up, so I agree...if he shoots the ball well, it’s probably best to leave it alone.

We’ll see if it works at that level. I’m skeptical.

I remember Josh Wright hit a lot of 3’s in high school, but he shot from his chest. He wasn’t much of a 3 point shooter in college.

An elite athlete and player making shots at a lower level doesn’t always translate. Hope it does, but we’ll see.

It is awfully tough to change it that late with years and thousands and thousands of shots worth of muscle memory built up, so I agree...if he shoots the ball well, it’s probably best to leave it alone.

If his shooting goes away, his driving and passing still puts him at another level.

If his shooting goes away, his driving and passing still puts him at another level.

I haven’t seen him drive much in preseason. His passing is next level, and in transition he’s great. Love the way he looks up the court.

IIRC, in most states, you can't just claim "homeschooling". There are certain basic curricula available to follow, especially for areas where you (as the instructor parent) have no expertise. There is testing you must pass in order to receive a diploma from some accredited for- or non-profit body. I would imagine that LaMelo would still have to take the SAT/ACT and submit the scores to the NCAA clearinghouse in order to be eligible to play in college, assuming he doesn't play overseas for a year and then enter the draft.

If I'm a college coach, regardless of how good, bad, or indifferent a player LaMelo is, I want absolutely less than no part of him because I don't want his father in my building unless he's bought a ticket. LaMelo is just not worth the trouble that's irrevocably attached to him.

In your defense, Virginia wouldn't be able to sniff a recruit of his caliber anyway.

I don't have a problem with someone being home schooled. Justin Jackson and Tim Tebow were home schooled ICYMI. This new coach is trying to change everything that has worked for Chino Hills through the Lonzo to Melo era. Even when Gelo was hurt last year, they only lost one game. Going to a radical shift in philosophy when Chino isn't a school that pumps out D1 talent is a big deal and if it can hurt someone who can play at most major programs in the country, why stay?

He's on UCLA for one reason only. He is not D1 talent, but his brother(s) are.

This is pure hate. Melo is already better than Gelo, still has two years of high school left and is still growing. He'll probably be a legit 6'7" when its all said and done. Gelo is the one who will need multiple years at the college level and even then likely won't play in the NBA.

This might be where Magic explains to papa where the door is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom