Lawrence announced as Clemson starter / Bryant transferring | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Lawrence announced as Clemson starter / Bryant transferring

Wow. Interesting stuff going on this game week. If their new QB1 goes down they are going to have some real problems on the national scene moving forward.

Hasn't gotten a fair shot? He's been the starter every game and a lot of last year. If the other guy is producing more than you he should get the spot.

Does it really matter though? Cant blame the kid for being upset. Id hope he has confidence in himself that he deserves the starting job. Thats what you want in a player...

Hasn't gotten a fair shot? He's been the starter every game and a lot of last year. If the other guy is producing more than you he should get the spot.

Indeed! Clemson is a top tier program, and at that level (any college level really) it's about who gives you the best chance to win now. Last year means diddly. It's no different than what JB says/does, the best players play, and whom he feels gives SU the best shot at winning, period!

Came in after Watson and was expected to replicate the success. Hunter Johnson also transferred because the writing was on the wall. Clemson is extremely thin at QB going forward.

This is a very interesting situation. Basically Bryant lost the job and ran to a newspaper to get his feelings out, which is just raw emotion and not smart on his part. A little weird. The fact that he says he wasn’t given a fair shot after starting a whole season and given a chance to out shine Lawrence at the beginning of this season is more than fair. But what needs to be said is that this is big time college football, you are at one of the best college football schools in the country...fair shot or not, talent always plays. It’s clear that Lawrence is the more talented player now and in the future. Now this can go one of two ways.

1) this becomes a distraction for Clemson, they lose some focus and it gives us more than a punchers chance. Yes Lawrence is a stud but he hasn’t really been knocked around a bunch. This is only his 5th game and the first he will start/play the whole game. They don’t have an experienced back up so he is option A-Z. This could backfire on them but I don’t think t will. Bryant running to the newspaper did no good for the team and the players that are close to him. This could cause some division which could translate to the field.

2) People are thinking that there is a little turmoil in the clemson program right now and Clemson wants to come out and prove a point this weekend to show this was the right move. They come out fired up after this move and after last year’s loss and take it to us. Yes Lawrence is a freshman but like I said he is a stud, he has confidence and moxy. I think this move elevates his game. Also Dabo is too good of a coach, this team is to veteran to let them lose significant focus.

Lawrence is either going to be a world beater Saturday or have his worst game of the year, no in between in my opinion. I think this game will be interesting. Here’s hoping our defense can hold their own and get to the Freshman QB to knock him around and pick off some passes. Our offense will get it’s points with Dungey under center, we just need to execute and we will have a chance. Should be a good game. GO CUSE!

Does it really matter though? Cant blame the kid for being upset. Id hope he has confidence in himself that he deserves the starting job. Thats what you want in a player...
I have no problem with Bryant transferring and believing he's good enough to play. But saying you didn't have a fair chance is ridiculous and shows a lack of self awareness(?).

The better question is why the hell am i reacting to this news like i'm a Clemson fan?

I have no problem with Bryant transferring and believing he's good enough to play. But saying you didn't have a fair chance is ridiculous and shows a lack of self awareness(?).

The better question is why the hell am i reacting to this news like i'm a Clemson fan?
Because Clemson has got you punked.

The new QB2 is Chase Brice (freshman, 4* recruit) who has played in every game except TAMU. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a good situation, but he does have experience and talent.

Thanks. I was looking at the player profiles and didn't see stats so I thought that Lawrence was the only one that had played. Better situation, and I'm definitely not comparing talent level of Syracuse's depth chart of 2-3 years ago with Clemson's now. I know how well you guys recruit.

Lawrence scares the crap out of me and he was the one QB I was hoping we wouldn't have to face this year. I was hoping you'd bring him along a little slower!

The era of the 3 Seasons with Bryant at the helm would have to be considered the most successful era in Clemson football history by the numbers. He definitely has flaws in his game but how does a team and coaching staff make such a decision. Regardless of talent this is a bad human / team / recruiting move.

Every team in America is going to use this against Clemson in recruiting regardless of what the injury/talent/team dynamics truth is with Bryant.

"Want to make it to the NFL? Come to SCHOOL X not Clemson they'll sabotage your prospects as a Senior if they get some young stud player, no matter how good you are!"

The era of the 3 Seasons with Bryant at the helm would have to be considered the most successful era in Clemson football history by the numbers. He definitely has flaws in his game but how does a team and coaching staff make such a decision. Regardless of talent this is a bad human / team / recruiting move.

Every team in America is going to use this against Clemson in recruiting regardless of what the injury/talent/team dynamics truth is with Bryant.

"Want to make it to the NFL? Come to SCHOOL X not Clemson they'll sabotage your prospects as a Senior if they get some young stud player, no matter how good you are!"
Well last year was actually the first year with Bryant as a starter

Even including QB... if there was one unit i’d want a “big game” to rely on, its Chris Slayton and his mad dogs on the edge.

Things are slowly looking brighter.

I just wish the Virginia teams were broken up so the Orange could play there more often than once a decade.

Has that been an area where y’all have a heavy recruitment focus or is there another reason?

No y'all are welcome to start threads. Just remember that you are guests here and as long as the conversation remains respectful you are all welcome. If not the "after three days the fish stinks" rule will go into effect.

Understood and thanks... BTW, I like the format of your boards. Different than what I am use too (in a good way) and very user friendly. The search Feature tends to work well.

Has that been an area where y’all have a heavy recruitment focus or is there another reason?
Recruiting, lots of alumni and upstate New Yorkers there and a reasonable drive to go to an away game.

Bryant was QB1 at Clemson for one season. He had a solid but not spectacular year.

This year he has again been solid but not spectacular. He’s been very obviously second best on the team. Both the stats and the eye test bare that out.

He has virtually no shot at being a NFL QB.

If anything, I think this helps recruiting. It shows that even at Clemson, freshmen will play if they are good enough. What stud recruit doesn’t want to hear that?

Bryant was QB1 at Clemson for one season. He had a solid but not spectacular year.

This year he has again been solid but not spectacular. He’s been very obviously second best on the team. Both the stats and the eye test bare that out.

He has virtually no shot at being a NFL QB.

If anything, I think this helps recruiting. It shows that even at Clemson, freshmen will play if they are good enough. What stud recruit doesn’t want to hear that?
Hard to argue with any of that.

Understood and thanks... BTW, I like the format of your boards. Different than what I am use too (in a good way) and very user friendly. The search Feature tends to work well.
Thank you. It is very user friendly. Glad the search option works well for you...sometimes our posters can revive threads from years and years ago. Who knows, sometime in the future this thread may see new life. ;)