Lawrence announced as Clemson starter / Bryant transferring | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Lawrence announced as Clemson starter / Bryant transferring

I would be concerned about that from a depth perspective. He's basically 1A on their depth chart and now it appears he won't even suit up. And Clemson doesn't have a single other QB that's thrown a ball in a game other than Lawrence.

Reminds me of when Dungey was option 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, and then there wasn't much after that. Not saying their depth chart doesn't have talent but you’re basically 1 injury away from having a QB in the game that's either a RFR or True Frosh who's never thrown a ball in a college game.

Last edited:
I do think the turmoil, if nothing else, will be a distraction to keep people from playing their most focused. If Bryant doesn't suit up for Saturday it also would cause some issues with the psyche of the team if anything goes wrong on offense. There is no doubt that there are some upperclassmen over there loyal to Bryant that will not be happy about things.

Well this is good for us. Any inner team turmoil is a net positive for us and if it's true he's missed practices there's gonna be sides taken with this situation being a MAJOR distraction and that means the potential for internal dissension within the team. Regardless with all this going on it will result it a misdirection of energy on their part and at least a partial lack of focus on us. Awesome.

Add this to our vast improvement on both sides of the ball, 12 noon start with a hoped for a sleep walking team and fan base initially, the team knowing they beat them last year with essentially the same personnel, the feeling of being dissrespected and given no chance by pundits, etc with the no respect 21 point spread, well all this bodes well for us, or at least improves our odds for success.

Preseason I gave us a 0% chance of winning this game, earlier this week I gave us a 10% chance of an upset, now with all this going on that's up significantly. Catch them flat footed out of the gate, smack down the young qb a few times early, force or get an early turnover and it's game on.

This is gonna be interesting...

Edit: ohh yeah, just read their board, it's already causing major turmoil and dissension over there. Yeah baby my % for our success just went up to 40+%!
Might as well just cancel the game now...

I had thought KB was being spoken of in very high regards for how well he's taken the situation? Is this part of the path that was discussed? Guess we'll find out from Dabo tomorrow.

Obviously no insight to anything beyond what's reported, but if he's graduated and he lost his starting job, why wouldn't he bounce, use the redshirt rule and just prep to go wherever he can showcase his talents next year? There are going to be a lot of teams that are a solid QB away from competing for real.

Just wondering out loud, if KB isn't dressed, does that help (no looking over his shoulder) or hurt (I'm no longer QB2 - aka everyone's favorite qb) TL for next game?

Bryant is better off transferring if hes not in line to get drafted this year.

Just wondering out loud, if KB isn't dressed, does that help (no looking over his shoulder) or hurt (I'm no longer QB2 - aka everyone's favorite qb) TL for next game?[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY my thoughts on this...and I can make an argument in either direction. If this is "real" then I guess we will get our answer on Saturday.

(I think it has more potential to favor us than hurt us, personally)

I didn't realize that Bryant had already graduated. That does make the situation "interesting". I think Clemson still has to release him if he wants to transfer.

It’s our policy not to restrict players who are transferring. We had one kid get second thoughts about leaving home and he went to South Carolina. Former 5* DL. KB is able to go anywhere he wants and I hope the best for him and his family... tough decision for sure as he is a high character kid who is a leader in the locker room

Gotta say - I love Dabo. Players must go through walls for him. If I was a 5* in the South - why would I choose a guy like Saban over Dabo?

(I think we have a similar guy in Dino by the way - just starting to bear fruit)

That view would be supported down South as well... Have had many discussions on comparisons between Dino and Dabo. Both just remind me of great people who you would want to be influential in your sons life. They just happen to be really good football coaches.

Dabo finished with a losing season in his second year... your time is coming, the signs are there.

That view would be supported down South as well... Have had many discussions on comparisons between Dino and Dabo. Both just remind me of great people who you would want to be influential in your sons life. They just happen to be really good football coaches.

Dabo finished with a losing season in his second year... your time is coming, the signs are there.

Dabo is a class act. He was gracious in defeat last year and he was gracious despite Shafer’s antics a few years back. Probably my 2nd favorite college football coach :)

Dabo is a class act. He was gracious in defeat last year and he was gracious despite Shafer’s antics a few years back. Probably my 2nd favorite college football coach :)
Any rules against “the enemy” starting a thread? I’d like to have some discussions with y’all on key match ups from your side, concerns and where you think you can exploit us? I was very curious as to general perceptions y’all ha e on joining the ACC and it’s benefits but from what I have read so far most are very pleased with the conference and glad to play the caliber of teams in the ACC. The one thing I saw though was a desire to play some of the old BE members more such as Pitt, Miami and VT...

I would be concerned about that from a depth perspective. He's basically 1A on their depth chart and now it appears he won't even suit up. And Clemson doesn't have a single other QB that's thrown a ball in a game other than Lawrence.
The new QB2 is Chase Brice (freshman, 4* recruit) who has played in every game except TAMU. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a good situation, but he does have experience and talent.

It’s our policy not to restrict players who are transferring. We had one kid get second thoughts about leaving home and he went to South Carolina. Former 5* DL. KB is able to go anywhere he wants and I hope the best for him and his family... tough decision for sure as he is a high character kid who is a leader in the locker room
It has nothing to do with restricting transfers. The New Grad transfer rule eliminates any school from restricting where a player goes. But all players have to be released first.

Last edited:
Any rules against “the enemy” starting a thread? I’d like to have some discussions with y’all on key match ups from your side, concerns and where you think you can exploit us? I was very curious as to general perceptions y’all ha e on joining the ACC and it’s benefits but from what I have read so far most are very pleased with the conference and glad to play the caliber of teams in the ACC. The one thing I saw though was a desire to play some of the old BE members more such as Pitt, Miami and VT...
No y'all are welcome to start threads. Just remember that you are guests here and as long as the conversation remains respectful you are all welcome. If not the "after three days the fish stinks" rule will go into effect.

Well this is good for us. Any inner team turmoil is a net positive for us and if it's true he's missed practices there's gonna be sides taken with this situation being a MAJOR distraction and that means the potential for internal dissension within the team. Regardless with all this going on it will result it a misdirection of energy on their part and at least a partial lack of focus on us. Awesome.

Add this to our vast improvement on both sides of the ball, 12 noon start with a hoped for a sleep walking team and fan base initially, the team knowing they beat them last year with essentially the same personnel, the feeling of being dissrespected and given no chance by pundits, etc with the no respect 21 point spread, well all this bodes well for us, or at least improves our odds for success.

Preseason I gave us a 0% chance of winning this game, earlier this week I gave us a 10% chance of an upset, now with all this going on that's up significantly. Catch them flat footed out of the gate, smack down the young qb a few times early, force or get an early turnover and it's game on.

This is gonna be interesting...

Edit: ohh yeah, just read their board, it's already causing major turmoil and dissension over there. Yeah baby my % for our success just went up to 40+%!

Having Lawrence work with the 1's all week by himself is a good thing for the Tigers but if they lose KB it'll put more pressure on him as well. If I were Dabo I'd have my gameplan and my X amount of plays I'd want Lawrence to go with to get him in a flow, passes he knows he'll make vs the SU D.

It's kind of funny that both these teams in orange have had a little interesting thing going on with a senior QB and stud freshmen.

I just wish the Virginia teams were broken up so the Orange could play there more often than once a decade.

Definitely seems to be our best "advantage" in this situation -- kid is a blue chipper, but not highly experienced and making his first start. Have to bring it, and hope that our DL can disrupt him from getting into a rhythm.

I don't know what he did the entire time against GT (13-18 is pretty good but it's GT) there were a few shoulder shrugs. One TD pass was an easy throw to a wide open WR because the GT db completely blew the coverage looking in the backfield. We wont' do that.

His INT was a forced throw into triple coverage = bad decision. Coverage looked to be a zone.

He had a shovel pass TD and one really nice roll out and strike in the endzone. that was a pretty pass.

He can run but doesn't want to. Our DL gets lots of hits on QBs. If we hit this kid, get a lot of pressure and make him uncomfortable who knows what will happen. This will be a different test for him that's for sure. Will he be pedestrian or Jake Fromm. Million dollar question.