LAX Action for Apr 8-10 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for Apr 8-10

UVA vs Duke coming up on Thursday. Very interesting after today's games.

I just flicked on to Trinity Pawling vs Brunswick and apparently Andrew Greenspan F/O is a Syracuse Commit.

Recruits are just kids who haven't committed to us yet. :D

Rankings on Monday should be interesting. Duke, UNC lose, UVA wins, Maryland gives up 12 to Michigan. Maybe Lehigh should be number 2 :cool:
Looks like Maryland will be #1.
I don't know that a team sweats giving up 12, if they score 18.
I would expect Notre Dame to be #2.

I figure it will probably look like
#1: MD
#2: ND
#3: Duke
#4: UVA
#5: UNC
I go with ND as #1 - reason being that they just completely dominated 2 ACC teams back to back including the #1 team. But I'm not doing well in weekly pics so what do I know...
I agree with your #3-5. Lehigh will remain in the top 10 until the Patriot tournament as they have an extremely soft schedule until then. Rutgers is probably overrated not having challenged Maryland, but have run up scores on PS and the others.

I just flicked on to Trinity Pawling vs Brunswick and apparently Andrew Greenspan F/O is a Syracuse Commit.

Woody, I’m curious, was this shown on a graphic or something the announcers mentioned? I ask because Greenspan is widely considered to be the top FO prospect in the ‘23 class & one of the better FO prospects in recent years. Obviously coaches can’t contact ‘23s until 9/1/21 but we have a relationship with his club coaches at Primetime.

Last edited:

NIKE/USL TOP 20 SCORES​

No. 2 Maryland 18, Michigan 12
No. 4 Virginia 18, No. 3 North Carolina 16
No. 5 Notre Dame 13, No. 1 Duke 8
No. 6 Rutgers 22, Penn State 10
No. 7 Denver 17, Villanova 10
No. 9 Army 12, No. 12 Loyola 7
No. 11 Georgetown 10, Marquette 8
Drexel 12, No. 13 Delaware 9

OTHER SCORES

Bellarmine 11, VMI 9
Boston U 14, Colgate 10
Hartford 8, Binghamton 7
Jacksonville 11, Air Force 5
Merrimack 12, Mount St. Mary’s 11
Robert Morris 15, Cleveland State 7
Saint Joseph’s 13, Hobart 12 (OT)
Quinnipiac 13, Manhattan 12 (2OT)
Vermont 16, UMASS Lowell 5

Hes a 2023, don't think he's committed anywhere yet.

Woody, I’m curious, was this shown on a graphic or something the announcers mentioned? I ask because Greenspan is widely considered to be the top FO prospect in the ‘23 class & one of the better FO prospects in recent years. Obviously coaches can’t contact ‘23s until 9/1/21 but we have a relationship with his club coaches at Primetime.
It was the Video announcer that said he was a Syracuse committ after he scored! It was if he had a list of commits on the roster sheet as he mentioned other players and where they would be playing at next level.

Blake Borges also scored a nice goal in this game!

Last edited:
I go with ND as #1 - reason being that they just completely dominated 2 ACC teams back to back including the #1 team. But I'm not doing well in weekly pics so what do I know...
I agree with your #3-5. Lehigh will remain in the top 10 until the Patriot tournament as they have an extremely soft schedule until then. Rutgers is probably overrated not having challenged Maryland, but have run up scores on PS and the others.
The logic used by some, like those at inside lacrosse, would make Maryland a better team if they lost this coming weekend at OSU. OSU would then have an over .500 record and a high quality win over Maryland making them a much, much better team. Rutgers would then have 2 wins over this much, much better OSU team with an over .500 record, making Rutgers a much, much better team. Maryland would have 2 wins over this much, much better Rutgers team and a win over this much, much better OSU team and thus be a better team.

As a Terp fan I don't buy this, but feel the Terps will show themselves to be a better team by winning as many games as they can, and thus will be rooting strongly for the Terps to beat OSU this weekend.

The logic used by some, like those at inside lacrosse, would make Maryland a better team if they lost this coming weekend at OSU. OSU would then have an over .500 record and a high quality win over Maryland making them a much, much better team. Rutgers would then have 2 wins over this much, much better OSU team with an over .500 record, making Rutgers a much, much better team. Maryland would have 2 wins over this much, much better Rutgers team and a win over this much, much better OSU team and thus be a better team.

As a Terp fan I don't buy this, but feel the Terps will show themselves to be a better team by winning as many games as they can, and thus will be rooting strongly for the Terps to beat OSU this weekend.
Yep - losing is never better.

Yep - losing is never better.
Hopefully the next few weeks will help clarify some of the rankings. I really think the "eye test" will be important as well the scores of individual games. If you take Maryland for example, they wore down Rutgers both times they played and the eye test clearly suggests that Rutgers is a tier below. My eyes or gut tells me that Maryland belongs on the top 5 or 6. Cuse is an interesting case as we basically played even with Duke and had lopsided games with UVA and ND. The score of the Cuse Duke game should not be discounted in the eye test.

Likewise, Notre Dame has now dominated both Duke and Cuse which justifies an elevated position for them. I think the polls are correct in putting Maryland up with the big boys based on how they have "looked". Objectively however, it is hard to place Maryland ahead of ACC teams who have been severely battle tested and scarred. I could see Maryland being ranked anywhere from #2 to #7 in the absence of any head to head with the ACC or even Denver.

After watching Duke/ND yesterday, I have no reason to believe that Bernhardt and Wisnauskas would do any better than Sowers, O'Neill and Co. did against the ND defense. And what do you make of Michigan getting 12 goals against the vaunted Maryland defense? All great questions.

And one more...Lehigh is a wild card. I don't honestly think that they should be ranked ahead of Cuse, Georgetown etc. based on a powderpuff schedule and no games against ACC, Denver or Maryland. Sure they have a tremendous fogo and solid defense but how would that defense and goalie hold up against the big boys??? I wouldn't be placing bets in Vegas on Lehigh.

Maryland is 2-0 against top 10 teams.
Notre Dame is 2-1 against top 10 teams.

I don't know that ND's 3 games against ACC opponent's makes them look severely battle tested and scarred.

Your "objectively" seems rather "subjectively" to me.

Respectfully, Maryland's 2-0 is against the same team - Rutgers who is currently ranked #8.
Notre Dame just beat the team that was ranked #1 and beat Cuse who was ranked #4 at game time. Their loss was by only 1 goal to another top team in UVA that was ranked #6 before yesterday and will likely move up to the top 4 by Monday. So, Notre Dame has beaten higher ranked teams and been tested through one more game than Maryland.

I call that objectivity!

Respectfully, Maryland's 2-0 is against the same team - Rutgers who is currently ranked #8.
Notre Dame just beat the team that was ranked #1 and beat Cuse who was ranked #4 at game time. Their loss was by only 1 goal to another top team in UVA that was ranked #6 before yesterday and will likely move up to the top 4 by Monday. So, Notre Dame has beaten higher ranked teams and been tested through one more game than Maryland.

I call that objectivity!
It's a shame that Maryland isn't getting some strong out of conference games this year. I don't think anyone doubts that they're a great team but cannot be objectively confirmed without playing the other top teams. Maybe Maryland should have temporarily been put in the ACC for just this season :cool:

Think Lax is being objective but Id also place Maryland at # 1 since they remain undefeated n their two convincing wins over a good Rutgers team register more respect after RU thrashing of PSU. ND might be best right now but Ill place them at two and rank UVA, UNC and Denver before Duke on trend of play.

Posit that Cuse was more competitive on both ends than Duke in the respective games vs ND
Big diff in possessions, hurt by man ups n off day in goal. ND won most every faceoff agaisnt us while losing most to Duke. Our offense was much cleaner and efficient agaisnt ND and clearly blew to score agaisnt ND disciplined D which Duke did not.

Top ten (eleven)

Maryland
ND
UVA
UNC
Denver
Duke
Lehigh
Rutgers
Cuse
Army-Georgetown

I call that objectivity!
I tend to use the coaches poll, which has Rutgers at #7.

That's what makes polls so much fun - we can all have our say. I think we can all agree that Maryland and the ACC are great teams and that Rutgers has become a force this year.

That's what makes polls so much fun - we can all have our say. I think we can all agree that Maryland and the ACC are great teams and that Rutgers has become a force this year.
I wouldn't agree with that statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom