Class of 2024 - LB Jayden Brown (NJ) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (6/23/23) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 LB Jayden Brown (NJ) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (6/23/23)

As much as I love the latest recruits we’re getting, let’s not forget that peer schools are likely saving spots in their class for transfer portal additions. Imo, this is one reason why we are seeing a bump this year.

It also helps that some of our developmental stars are now going to big time factory schools like Ohio State and LSU. We are also starting to put players in the NFL.

Nah…there’s no bump and schools are recruiting as they normally do. 11 of the top 20 schools right now have 17 or more commitments. The top 3 have over 20. #1 Georgia, Michigan, Notredame. Our 12 is actually on the mid to low end.

Bad business to ‘save’ scholarships imo.

His tape is kind of hard to evaluate. Yes, he makes a lot of TFL and is constantly in the bacfield. But a lot of that is because the Don Bosco DL is so big and dominant that OL can’t get to the DB LBs.

That said, it is easy to see he is a really good athlete. Excellent lateral agility. Fights off blocks well. Uses his arms well. Seems very well coached for a junior in HS.

I would say he is a prototypical SU LB for the 3-3-5. Think he will be at least 230 when he reports to preseason camp as a frosh. I see him as a bigger version of Stefon Thompson, and a guy who will likely play most of his college career in the 240-250 range. Perfect for bouncing between LB and the DL.

This is the kind of player Coach Long needs to use the 3-3-5 to full effectiveness.

Love getting players from Don Bosch that BC and Maryland wanted. Have been begging Coach Babers to hire an assistant with strong NJ ties for a long time. He finally did and it is paying major dividends.

I think if we go in a time machine 2 years in the future, we will be pointing back to this off season and the hires Dino made as the key that accelerated the turnaround of the program.

It is an exciting time to be a Syracuse fan.

Last edited:
Nah…there’s no bump and schools are recruiting as they normally do. 11 of the top 20 schools right now have 17 or more commitments. The top 3 have over 20. #1 Georgia, Michigan, Notredame. Our 12 is actually on the mid to low end.

Bad business to ‘save’ scholarships imo.
But honestly, Syrcause doesn't get 12 commits this early on in the calendar year. There have been years where we would be sitting on 3 commits at the end of June. This is a big bump for Cuse recruiting.

His tape is kid of hard to evaluate. Yes, he makes a lot of TFL and is constantly in the bacfield. But a lot of that is because the Don Bosco DL is so big and dominant that OL can’t get to the DB LBs.

That said, it is easy to see he is a really good athlete. Excellent lateral agility. Fights off blocks well. Uses his arms well. Seems very well coached for a junior in HS.

I would say he is a prototypical SU LB for the 3-3-5. Think he will be at least 230 when he reports to preseason camp as a frosh. I see him as a bigger version of Stefon Thompson, and a guy who will likely play most of his college career in the 240-250 range. Perfect for bouncing between LB and the DL.

This is the kind of player Coach Long needs to use the 3-3-5 to full effectiveness.

Love getting players from Don Bosch that BC and Maryland wanted. Have been begging Coach Babers to hire an assistant with strong NJ ties for a long time. He finally did and it is paying major dividends.

I think if we go in a time machine 2 years in the future, we will be pointing back to this off season and the hires Dino made as the key that accelerated the turnaround of the program.

Yeah, doesn't seem to be a coincidence how NJ has picked up.

His tape is kid of hard to evaluate. Yes, he makes a lot of TFL and is constantly in the bacfield. But a lot of that is because the Don Bosco DL is so big and dominant that OL can’t get to the DB LBs.

www.hudl.com

Jayden Brown on Hudl

Watch Jayden Brown's videos and highlights on Hudl. More info: Don Bosco Prep High School - Boys Varsity Football / MLB / Class of 2024 / Ramsey, NJ

www.hudl.com
OFFERED> JAYDEN BROWN 2024 DON BOSCO PREP, RAMSEY, NJ
#8 6' 3" 220 MLB / 40 TIME N/A

15943798_9c085e552321457e8391ad5820c5d8fa.jpg

RB0BncZROL7I8ZFJ

ASSETS PER HUDL FILM JR SEASON:

FAST
QUICK
AGILE
EXC. TACKLING SKILLS
PLAYS ANGRY
IN BACKFIELD TACKLING RB/QB BEFORE PLAY BEGINS
HITS VERY HARD

GREAT OFFER! COMMITTED 6/23/23!

But honestly, Syrcause doesn't get 12 commits this early on in the calendar year. There have been years where we would be sitting on 3 commits at the end of June. This is a big bump for Cuse recruiting.

He wasnt specically talking about our history. But the last 4 years by July we've had 12, 4, 11 and 10 and added another 1 or 2 by July 4. I get what you're saying but we're sort of on track.

I suspect one result of the portal is more HS players feel pressure to commit earlier. Just guessing.

At this point we had 11 commits in 2021. 10 commits in the 2020. 9 commits in 2018. 8 in 2017. The difference is more of the commits now have quality P5 options and are ranked higher. That’s a good thing.

His tape is kind of hard to evaluate. Yes, he makes a lot of TFL and is constantly in the bacfield. But a lot of that is because the Don Bosco DL is so big and dominant that OL can’t get to the DB LBs.

Agree 100% - I’ve been waiting for this early and consistent success with recruiting since the GRob years. I see the comments about we are basically on track but all these recruits have a shot at starting by year two it seems. Possibly year one in some cases. Like the offers by peer schools but love that this is an area of interest and we are doing well there.

I’d love to hear an explanation why New Jersey is so much better for us in recruiting than PA or even MI. We seem to do well recruiting PA for basketball historically but not so many recruits from there for football in the last decade.

Agree 100% - I’ve been waiting for this early and consistent success with recruiting since the GRob years. I see the comments about we are basically on track but all these recruits have a shot at starting by year two it seems. Possibly year one in some cases. Like the offers by peer schools but love that this is an area of interest and we are doing well there.

I’d love to hear an explanation why New Jersey is so much better for us in recruiting than PA or even MI. We seem to do well recruiting PA for basketball historically but not so many recruits from there for football in the last decade.
I think it's because of PSU and Pitt and a few going to ND...

It only took him close to a decade but better late than never.

PSU has never been a basketball school, and Rutgers has never been a football school.

Can we get Jersey Orange to make a guest post about the recent trend of Jersey commits? And the overall State of SU Football?

Despite a heavy load of ratings manipulations by their fan boy boosters, Rutgers is down tp 37th in on3.com’s composite ratings.

The interesting thing is that of their 17 commits, 2 are from NJ. That is all.

I have never heard of either of them. Syracuse was not interested in them. One was only offered by RU UConn and Temple.

No one from the state wants to go to Rutgers. Schiano has destroyed relationships with many of the best programs in NJ, he has burned bridges and is hated by just about everyone.

Despite a heavy load of ratings manipulations by their fan boy boosters, Rutgers is down tp 37th in on3.com’s composite ratings.

The interesting thing is that of their 17 commits, 2 are from NJ. That is all.

I have never heard of either of them. Syracuse was not interested in them. One was only offered by RU UConn and Temple.

No one from the state wants to go to Rutgers. Schiano has destroyed relationships with many of the best programs in NJ, he has burned bridges and is hated by just about everyone.

He can save face in state if he snags Willy Love and a couple other kids (Kaj Sanders might fall in their lap after PSU grabbed two WR). But even Willy appears to be trending away from Rutgers now, as he has had a bunch of downgrades on 247.

Their QB commit from Jersey ranking baffles me.

They've done ok elsewhere, but in NJ, it isn't 2006 anymore.

All momentum he had when he came back seems to be gone.

A lot of the relationships he built back then, those guys moved on. He also has had zero staff stability. His first rodeo he had some surprisingly strong staffs, recruiting wise.

To tie into that, this go around, anyone on his staff or support staff that has shown any potential or skill at recruiting has been poached away from him (by us, PSU, BC, Georgia, etc).

The massive amount of financial support for the program is being misappropriated. He has a huge salary, and he is throwing huge numbers at retread or underwhelming coordinaters.

But he is being stingy with his support staff and they flee once they have their resume updated.

Last edited:
He can save face in state if he snags Willy Love and a couple other kids (Kaj Sanders might fall in their lap after PSU grabbed two WR). But even Willy appears to be trending away from Rutgers now, as he has had a bunch of downgrades on 247.

Their QB commit from Jersey ranking baffles me.

They've done ok elsewhere, but in NJ, it isn't 2006 anymore.

All momentum he had when he came back seems to be gone.

A lot of the relationships he built back then, those guys moved on. He also has had zero staff stability. His first rodeo he had some surprisingly strong staffs, recruiting wise.

To tie into that, this go around, anyone on his staff or support staff that has shown any potential or skill at recruiting has been poached away from him (by us, PSU, BC, Georgia, etc).

The massive amount of financial support for the program is being misappropriated. He has a huge salary, and he is throwing huge numbers at retread or underwhelming coordinaters.

But he is being stingy with his support staff and they flee once they have their resume updated.
Took a look at the guy from NJ who is currently verbaled to RU. His name is AJ Surace.

He is 6 foot tall. No athletic ability. At best, maybe his arm strength is average. Poor accuracy. 56% completion percentage and that is with an offense featuring short easy to complete passes. Only was able to throw for a little more than 1700 yards last season.

His father coaches at Princeton. Claims offers from some decent schools. I don’t see why. I can see why we had no interest.

NJ, like NY and new england, is a pro sports region without a traditional state power in football for kids to care about. They probably grow up rooting for the Giants more than any college teams. Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania all have strong state wide followings, leading to more of the best kids wanting to stay home.

NJ, like NY and new england, is a pro sports region without a traditional state power in football for kids to care about. They probably grow up rooting for the Giants more than any college teams. Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania all have strong state wide followings, leading to more of the best kids wanting to stay home.
I think you hit on a residual importance of putting kids in the league. In the pro-driven NE, the youth learn all about their pro heroes, especially in the absence of a strong college sports experience. The bond formed with the pros living in their area are stronger than the local kids who went away for school. The youth becomes enamored with where their pro heroes went. This is why we struggle to land local “city” kids who have eyes for ND, SEC, and B1G schools. Look simply at how many Wiskey RBs were from NJ. Ron Dayne was a Giant. PSU couldn’t be happier with where Saquon landed.

I grew up knowing SU because as a Giants fan, I knew where Joe Morris went. Heck, I knew where Dave Bavaro went. I also knew where Mark Bavaro and Phil Simms and LT went. My brother became an ND fan as a result. Everyone loved Mark Bavaro. Schiano went to my HS. So did Chris Simms. Greg Olsen was another area great in HS. Schiano went to Bucknell and Sims didn’t go to Rutgers, or his dad’s alma mater, Morehead St. We as SU fans would cry about not landing the legacy recruit, but having seen it through the lens in the other direction, there was no reason for him to have considered it. It was always Texas or Tenn. but Cutcliff went to Ole Miss to ironically coach Eli. Despite Schiano being at Rutgers since 2001, in 2003 Olsen went to ND like Bavaro, and then transferred to Miami, after all, their TE Jeremy Shockey had just been drafted by the Giants.

I’m not saying that’s all that goes into the decision, but it does resonate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom