Lead column on Grantland right now: | Syracusefan.com

Lead column on Grantland right now:

great article.
Many "writers" have caled it just a 2-3 or simple zone- lets hope it just gets better!

awesome article. Amoeba is the thing that comes to mind to me as well. The CBS graphic where they plot each player in the zone and make a shape of it as they move with the red fill between the plots is really cool. Its really amazing to watch the chemistry and anticipation of both the front and back line players.

awesome article. Amoeba is the thing that comes to mind to me as well. The CBS graphic where they plot each player in the zone and make a shape of it as they move with the red fill between the plots is really cool. Its really amazing to watch the chemistry and anticipation of both the front and back line players.
I found that funny too, that's the exact word I used when they showed that graphic.

I disagree that Burke has been the player of the tournament by a wide margin. MCW's been just as good, if not better.

Michigan fans think that they're just going to shoot over it. Most are not concerned at all.

I disagree that Burke has been the player of the tournament by a wide margin. MCW's been just as good, if not better.

It looks better whenyou make a huge 3 to tie then play well in OT. They forget that your team was losing the whole game and you hadn't played all that well until then. Conversely we haven't had to worry late because MCW has been so good on both sides of the ball.

Michigan fans think that they're just going to shoot over it. Most are not concerned at all.

Lets hope Beilein and the players think that as well. LOL

It looks better whenyou make a huge 3 to tie then play well in OT. They forget that your team was losing the whole game and you hadn't played all that well until then. Conversely we haven't had to worry late because MCW has been so good on both sides of the ball.
Agreed.

The rebounding from MCW has been a huge part of why the defense is working so well.

Almost all of MCW rebounds have been defensive in the tourney and every one has mattered.

Wow, great article. I especially enjoyed the discussion of the psychological aspect. The analysts always talk about how Louisville's press wears you out mentally but rarely talk about how teams unfamiliar with the zone so often go into panic mode when they can't figure out how to get clean looks. My wife, who has a psychology background, is always watching the opponent's body language. I know we're in good shape when she says "we just broke their spirit."

tumblr_ly0uvywQSg1r2hpuao1_500.gif

tumblr_lbqg10tZyq1qbwtq5o1_500.jpg

There are too ways I want to enter the final four. Feared or underestimated.

I like that mention in the article about Michigan possibly looking at the zone and thinking, "what's the big deal?" It's just not a normal zone. It puts so much pressure on teams to execute and if you haven't seen it? You haven't seen it.

grantland sucks. so many words, so many random digressions, so little actual content. that article is par for the course

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

grantland sucks. so many words, so many random digressions, so little actual content. that article is par for the course

The Titus article is such fn garbage. Unfunny, Simmons wannabee...the latest Paul Shirley. Can't wait for him to go away

Here's the section in his column today
"4. Syracuse played Marquette.
No, it's true. They really did play each other Saturday. I couldn't believe it either. All I remember is a two-hour nap before the Wichita State–Ohio State game, the Buckeyes getting dominated, and The Ten Commandments airing on ABC for half of an eternity. When Michigan beat Florida on Sunday, Steve Kerr mentioned the Wolverines will play the Orange in the Final Four. But get this — Syracuse didn't beat Indiana to go to the Final Four. Come to find out, it was that game against Marquette that punched its ticket to Atlanta. Crazy, huh? With the stakes so high, I'm sure it was a thrilling game. I wonder why more people aren't talking about it."

LOLOLOLOL! Did they even play???AMIRITE GUYS??

The Titus article is such fn garbage. Unfunny, Simmons wannabee...the latest Paul Shirley. Can't wait for him to go away

I said the same thing the other day. Writes exactly like Simmons & backpedaled like a little b!tch on the bogus Craft charge. Those were the first & last two articles I'll read from him, Adios.

with a few exceptions, Grantland is usually no better than Bleacher Report. This column is not one of the exceptions, except for those SU fans who are looking for something to rub one out to.

I want my "Damn Amoeba" shirt.
the Amoeba Defense title is already taken - it was the defense that Jerry Tarkanian employed on his great UNLV teams. I don't remember enough about it to say how similar it is to the current Syracuse Zone, but regardless, we don't need to steal someone else's term.

What board do Michigan fans use the most?

If you squint when you look at Otto the Orange he looks like an amoeba.

the Amoeba Defense title is already taken - it was the defense that Jerry Tarkanian employed on his great UNLV teams. I don't remember enough about it to say how similar it is to the current Syracuse Zone, but regardless, we don't need to steal someone else's term.

To each his own I guess. I just envision a graphic with John Thompson's ugly mug with a word bubble that says "It's like a damn amoeba!" ... And to be fair - I'm guessing there are not a lot of people waxing poetic about Tarks defense from 20 years ago.