Leadership, Mental Toughness, Discipline | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Leadership, Mental Toughness, Discipline

When people can't explain what is happening on the field, they resort to talking about concepts like "leadership" and "mental toughness." It's easy to talk about things that aren't falsifiable.
You think he doesn't have an understanding of what is happening on the field?

Yeah I hear Adams is super soft spoken though and he really is too nice on the field. Believe u me, if I was 353 at his height u would see bodies laying everywhere. Mo I agree with.

Maybe we just need some Sandra Bullock type mom to grab a 'big ugly' by the face mask, yank him over to his QB lying on the ground and say...see your QB on his arse, he's "La Familia!" ;):)

Welp Dino said last night they voted on permanent captains. We'll see who the chosen team leaders are.

I have lots of thoughts on doing this and doing this now, but the decision to vote captains mid season all but solidifies it for me the team lacks leadership and the staff is doing what they can to right the ship.

This board has made him into a legend. A good leader does allow his side of the ball to fold when the QB gets hurt.

His teammates made him into a legend when they named him captain as a freshman. But he was a defensive captain. he's not going to make up for the loss of a quarterback.

Floyd Little today on the local ESPN radio was adamant that this team has better pieces than last year’s, however we do not have the leadership.

Though I don’t believe the coach’s should be left off the hook, this could explain a number of things. The stupid penalties, the moping, the outbursts from wideouts, the difficulty building a run game or blocking forward. My favorite, the social media individual highlights following nationally televised embarassments.

I think a number of board personality’s may have been right, the O lacks a leader. Potentially the whole team does.

Perhaps the hype got a little to the kids heads. I hope someone in the locker-room steps up and holds a players “kumbaya” meeting.

Dino’s the epitome of discipline, but disunity in the locker room, or lack of a leader can derail a season.

He's not wrong but old players tend to see everything in terms of mental fortitude. Sometimes there are players who aren't physically up to it.

You think he doesn't have an understanding of what is happening on the field?
I think he probably does (certainly more than me). I would prefer to hear what he has to say about that.

I think he probably does (certainly more than me). I would prefer to hear what he has to say about that.
I don't think he would cross that line with regards to specifics out of respect to the coaching staff.

He's not wrong but old players tend to see everything in terms of mental fortitude. Sometimes there are players who aren't physically up to it.
I could see that being the case if he didn't specifically say he thought the team had more ability this year. He compared both the mental and physical to last year.

Welp Dino said last night they voted on permanent captains. We'll see who the chosen team leaders are.

I have lots of thoughts on doing this and doing this now, but the decision to vote captains mid season all but solidifies it for me the team lacks leadership and the staff is doing what they can to right the ship.

But this timing of not doing it at the beginning of the year has been typical for Dino.

October 11 2017

November 6 2018

Maybe we just need some Sandra Bullock type mom to grab a 'big ugly' by the face mask, yank him over to his QB lying on the ground and say...see your QB on his arse, he's "La Familia!" ;):)
Good one and yes

Neal, Adams, and Riley are the seniors there. It starts with them.
This.

Haven't posted in a while, but go back to the post Clemson articles - Riley had a comment that drove me nuts then. Basically, he said "we practiced all off season for this game and we didn't win".

Made the Maryland loss make sense and the season as a whole.

Bunch of individuals playing a game (and living off the hype of last year) and not being a team with leaders.

Lost in some of this discussion is that there is still not a winning "culture" here. When such a culture exists, players step into the idea that the program will be successful and it drives attitude. This starts with recruiting players that have a winning attitude and a fire in their belly ALONG with the skills and athleticism. I look for a winner first, and the other stuff after. This team appears rudderless on the field...its plain as day

Lost in some of this discussion is that there is still not a winning "culture" here. When such a culture exists, players step into the idea that the program will be successful and it drives attitude. This starts with recruiting players that have a winning attitude and a fire in their belly ALONG with the skills and athleticism. I look for a winner first, and the other stuff after. This team appears rudderless on the field...its plain as day

Excellent point.

there is no question this team lacks leadership. Some like to say winning takes care of(and losing causes) the whining and moping and all that, but we were 1-0 when we went down to College Park, looked entitled/non-caring/pathetic and got absolutely crushed by a bad team. the attitude has sucked all year, the leadership has lacked all year. combine that with maybe the worst Oline in the P5 and there is your (half)season in a nutshell

According to Coach Babers, you will now starting at tonight's Pittsburgh game you will see the teams elected captains for the 2019 season come out for the coin toss. No more different game captains each week. Let us all see if this changes the attitude of this team. It's way past the time of this team nutting up. Go Orange!!!!!!

According to Coach Babers, you will now starting at tonight's Pittsburgh game you will see the teams elected captains for the 2019 season come out for the coin toss. No more different game captains each week. Let us all see if this changes the attitude of this team. It's way past the time of this team nutting up. Go Orange!

Any guesses on who they are? I'll say Moe, Hof and Coleman.

Any guesses on who they are? I'll say Moe, Hof and Coleman.

Ding, ding, ding!

I thought the exact same thing, and we were both correct.

AND - Servais is in there as the wildcard, apparently?
I didn't know they'd have FOUR captains, as it's more traditionally 3.

Ding, ding, ding!

I thought the exact same thing, and we were both correct.

AND - Servais is in there as the wildcard, apparently?
I didn't know they'd have FOUR captains, as it's more traditionally 3.

I swear to God, I didn't know it was announced. I thought it was some big "reveal" tonight when they walk out to midfield. Servais seems like a leader, from afar anyway, so I'm good with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom