Leadership, Mental Toughness, Discipline | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Leadership, Mental Toughness, Discipline

A step in the right direction would be Tommy getting really pissed off when we don’t move the ball. He needs to show some passion — not anger toward his teammates but frustration with not doing better. That’s a start

Disagree. And this is giving me flashbacks to the “Marrone is too stoic on the sidelines. Gotta go nuts! Get the boys pumped up!” days.

Frankly this is the kind of stuff that only gets talked about when the team sucks.

I still can’t believe this season is happening like this.
Me either. Nobody is more puzzled than I am. They have 6 games left to turn it around. I'm just hoping leaders emerge to get these guys motivated. Go Orange!!!!!!

Frankly this is the kind of stuff that only gets talked about when the team sucks.

I still can’t believe this season is happening like this.
Agreed. And the stereotype tough guy who tells everyone to straighten up or else is a myth. Leadership comes from adults recognizing the trait, nurturing it, and putting person in a place where they can demonstrate it.

All the eggs in one basket. Not a criticism of TD but it appears we have no back up plan if TD needs to be replaced for injury or other. Dungy erased alot of Oline mistakes with his legs and his heart. Devito has proven he can throw it but cant do the things that Eric did. Not many can. Having said that Im still 100% in Dinos corner and looking for big game from them Friday night.

Kendal Coleman is clearly a leader in my view.
I agree but u also need that guy who controls the team on the field. We didn’t have it on defense last year too much but we had ED who demands 100% from everyone even if he doesn’t say it but by doing it. That team fought hard because he fought hard. We don’t have that clear leader this year and that’s on coach not investing time and energy into building that. What’s GBo say every year is a new year and the first we teach is leadership. Apparently it must work. Every year u have to identify who might be the alpha s and work it’s them to help and lead team. I never thought about Cordy being a leader cause he left the team for a bit and it s hard to lead when u don’t even know if u wanna play. Nothing against him just saying. Maybe if bear was in there he could be more of a leader don’t know. We definatly need it though.

I agree but u also need that guy who controls the team on the field. We didn’t have it on defense last year too much but we had ED who demands 100% from everyone even if he doesn’t say it but by doing it. That team fought hard because he fought hard. We don’t have that clear leader this year and that’s on coach not investing time and energy into building that. What’s GBo say every year is a new year and the first we teach is leadership. Apparently it must work. Every year u have to identify who might be the alpha s and work it’s them to help and lead team. I never thought about Cordy being a leader cause he left the team for a bit and it s hard to lead when u don’t even know if u wanna play. Nothing against him just saying. Maybe if bear was in there he could be more of a leader don’t know. We definatly need it though.
Out of the potential candidates on O you have Adams, Serva, Tommy, MO. My choice would be Adams, and MO.

A step in the right direction would be Tommy getting really pissed off when we don’t move the ball. He needs to show some passion — not anger toward his teammates but frustration with not doing better. That’s a start

His WRs are beating him to it.

But didn’t he do this in the 3rd quarter of the Western Michigan game? (Or maybe Holy Cross).

People getting mad isn’t going to help. Everyone focusing on doing their job and being on the same page will.

Out of the potential candidates on O you have Adams, Serva, Tommy, MO. My choice would be Adams, and MO.

If leadership is being chosen by the fans, we’re screwed.

Some guys have it and some guys don’t. None of us has a clue who that is.

Not everyone needs to be a leader. We need good soldiers too.

I mentioned the lack of leadership the other day as the biggest thing that's missing from this team. That was Dungey's greatest quality - natural born leader and mentally tough.

If leadership is being chosen by the fans, we’re screwed.

Some guys have it and some guys don’t. None of us has a clue who that is.

Not everyone needs to be a leader. We need good soldiers too.

We can turn this into a nurture vs nature discussion of development and leadership. ;)

I want to know what players on our roster would feel comfortable grabbing Cordy by the facemask (after his ridiculous personal foul against NC State) and give him a verbal dressing down, and the other players would watch that and say "damn, so-and-so means business, I need to be more disciplined because I don't want to get laid into either.

Whoever those guys are should be our captains.
That's just the point. No one is doing that. A few guys leading with their play, imo. Those guys need to start challenging everyone to put up. Time is running out.

Tommy needs to lead with his play. He's in no position to talk at this point.

The offense has a s*** sandwich on the leadership front. The most obvious field leaders are playing like dogs***. That kind of puts a damper on your ability to call somebody else out. I think Trishton and to a lesser extent Mo are the guys who have a pot to piss in right now. Would like to see Evan Adams go HAM and start chirping, but my read him is he's unlikely to get mouthy.

This board has made him into a legend. A good leader does allow his side of the ball to fold when the QB gets hurt.
What are you referring to? Is it when the whole defense was the walking wounded the last half of the year because we had no depth and everyone was playing a million plays a game?

Yeah I hear Adams is super soft spoken though and he really is too nice on the field. Believe u me, if I was 353 at his height u would see bodies laying everywhere. Mo I agree with.

i wasn't old enuf to remember floyd here at syracuse. i do remember him with the broncos. great great player.
if he says it there's more than an ounce of truth. i too think we do lack leadership and discipline. #44.

i wasn't old enuf to remember floyd here at syracuse. i do remember him with the broncos. great great player.
if he says it there's more than an ounce of truth. i too think we do lack leadership and discipline. #44.
What a shock it is to hear an 80 year old complaining about the discipline and mental toughness of 20-somethings.

What a shock it is to hear an 80 year old complaining about the discipline and mental toughness of 20-somethings.
He wasn’t complaining, he was more expressing frustration because he knows what they’re capable of. Floyd loves Moe like a son

He was comparing two teams that are one year apart, not commenting on an entire generation of athletes.
When people can't explain what is happening on the field, they resort to talking about concepts like "leadership" and "mental toughness." It's easy to talk about things that aren't falsifiable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom