Leadership | Syracusefan.com

Leadership

Shenexon

All American
This may be a troubling issue, but is an important one to frame our issues so far this season and lay out one of our primary issues as we move forward.

I believe we have sufficient talent and coaching to compete with the teams on our schedule. However, we need either the players or coaches to display the necessary leadership to deliver wins.

I'm big on quotes by great people in our past. For those of you that hate quotes, my apologies to your ancestors and descendents. Here's one that describes the task of our coaches:

"Good leadership consists of showing average people how to do the work of superior people." - John D. Rockefeller

We've had seasons where I think they've done that. This season...not so much. Can they deliver through the rest of the season?

We've also had players that have shown great leadership and won games by themselves. So far this year...not so much.

We need players AND coaches to seize the moment to deliver wins if we really want to have success this season. Most of the criticism I've seen leveled at the team is really a leadership issue. Who can or WILL show leadership to make this season successful? Nassib is one of our leaders, but he also has failed to execute when we REALLY needed him to. Who do you look to on offense, defense, and coaching to make THIS season a success?

This may be a troubling issue, but is an important one to frame our issues so far this season and lay out one of our primary issues as we move forward.

I believe we have sufficient talent and coaching to compete with the teams on our schedule. However, we need either the players or coaches to display the necessary leadership to deliver wins.

I'm big on quotes by great people in our past. For those of you that hate quotes, my apologies to your ancestors and descendents. Here's one that describes the task of our coaches:

"Good leadership consists of showing average people how to do the work of superior people." - John D. Rockefeller

We've had seasons where I think they've done that. This season...not so much. Can they deliver through the rest of the season?

We've also had players that have shown great leadership and won games by themselves. So far this year...not so much.

We need players AND coaches to seize the moment to deliver wins if we really want to have success this season. Most of the criticism I've seen leveled at the team is really a leadership issue. Who can or WILL show leadership to make this season successful? Nassib is one of our leaders, but he also has failed to execute when we REALLY needed him to. Who do you look to on offense, defense, and coaching to make THIS season a success?
great, great post. Leadership is one of the intangible variables that can make a good team great or an average squad to above average. In terms of what little you can see during a game and on tape, I see zero leadership coming from the qb position that doesn't have to do with on the field performances. Perhaps it's just not shown, but with other teams and games you catch the now and again shot of guys getting in the grills of their teammates, having moments of exhuberance to pump them up or simply yelling at someone to do better.

Like I said maybe its happening and I've missed it (don't think so), but I think this was what DM was lamenting at a lunch a year or two back that he'd like to see. Some kids just don't have this in their DNA which is too bad for us and I think too bad for him and his teammates as well since I'd imagine being the 5th year senior guy players would look to him for this type thing.

We are recruiting high school leader, maybe the problem is none of them want to follow each others lead. All bosses no workers?

We are recruiting high school leader, maybe the problem is none of them want to follow each others lead. All bosses no workers?

As a high school coach I can tell you 75% of being a leader in high school is based on their level of play. The better players are viewed as leaders whether they really demonstrate leadership or not. It is rare at any level to get a player who leads by both example and with what they say. It's easy to say what a leader would say, it's a whole different thing to add a good work ethic to the words. Teams at any level who find guys who do both have more success than teams that can't find one of those guys.

Huge fan and studier of leadership.

Curious...who really are the leaders of this team? As importantly, who are the Jameel Dumas'? (Hope the answer is none to the latter question).

I guess for Nassib to show leadership, he's got to become RGIII.

Sorry,I don't like John D's quote.

Superior and average people? Sounds like something Tristan would say.

great, great post. Leadership is one of the intangible variables that can make a good team great or an average squad to above average. In terms of what little you can see during a game and on tape, I see zero leadership coming from the qb position that doesn't have to do with on the field performances. Perhaps it's just not shown, but with other teams and games you catch the now and again shot of guys getting in the grills of their teammates, having moments of exhuberance to pump them up or simply yelling at someone to do better.

Like I said maybe its happening and I've missed it (don't think so), but I think this was what DM was lamenting at a lunch a year or two back that he'd like to see. Some kids just don't have this in their DNA which is too bad for us and I think too bad for him and his teammates as well since I'd imagine being the 5th year senior guy players would look to him for this type thing.

Leadership is definitely not "intangible". It is extremely tangible. It is not inherent, it is learned.

Sorry, but people using "intangible" is a sports context makes me crazy, since 99% of the time the thing they are describing is tangible.

If playing stupid illustrates a lack of leadership, them I agree that this team has crappy leadership.

Leadership is definitely not "intangible". It is extremely tangible. It is not inherent, it is learned.

Sorry, but people using "intangible" is a sports context makes me crazy, since 99% of the time the thing they are describing is tangible.

If playing stupid illustrates a lack of leadership, them I agree that this team has crappy leadership.
"Tangible" to me is necessity to play the game...a coach, players, O philosophy, D philosophy, refs, balls, etc.

"Intangible" to me are thing you really don't need to play the game such as this. Just semantics I guess

The leaders that have to step up: Sharmarko, Spruill, Bromley on D. Pugh, Ryan, Alec or Marcus on O. These are your better players. It looks like all have TREMENDOUS (copyright Doug Marrone) work ethics. I need to see one of these seven take over the team. I think it will be Pugh.

What are people looking for (other than a winning streak)?

Marrone isn't going to be a fiery vocal leader on the sidelines. He has his own style - steady, calm -- and has delegated leadership of the offense and defense to his assistants.

Nassib, Macky, Pugh, Lemon are in a position to lead -- are you looking for better performance, or more fire on the sidelines and in the huddle (or no-huddle)? Are you looking for one of these guys to step ahead of the others as the vocal leader? Expecting Nassib to become gregarious on the sidelines?

On defense, Diabate as MLB is in a position to lead; Spruill might be among our better players; Sharmarko is our best hitter; Goggins is the senior in the front 4. Looks like a committee, rather than one player who is going to take command.

I'd like to see Pugh and Sharmarko designated as permanent captains, but not expecting that to happen.

i stated this same concern about leadership a few days ago under the thread of what is our teams identity

"Tangible" to me is necessity to play the game...a coach, players, O philosophy, D philosophy, refs, balls, etc.

"Intangible" to me are thing you really don't need to play the game such as this. Just semantics I guess

I get it, you're using the word like most everyone else does in regards to sports. Just a huge pet peeve of mine. Not just because it's definitionally incorrect, but also because it makes it seem like "leadership" is some vague magic that can't be acquired through mortal means. Lots of people learn to be leaders, and in any organization it is a very real thing. No magic.

in·tan·gi·ble

   [in-tan-juh-buhl] Show IPA

adjective
not tangible; incapable of being perceived by the sense oftouch, as incorporeal or immaterial things; impalpable.

not definite or clear to the mind: intangible arguments.

What are people looking for (other than a winning streak)?

Marrone isn't going to be a fiery vocal leader on the sidelines. He has his own style - steady, calm -- and has delegated leadership of the offense and defense to his assistants.

Nassib, Macky, Pugh, Lemon are in a position to lead -- are you looking for better performance, or more fire on the sidelines and in the huddle (or no-huddle)? Are you looking for one of these guys to step ahead of the others as the vocal leader? Expecting Nassib to become gregarious on the sidelines?

On defense, Diabate as MLB is in a position to lead; Spruill might be among our better players; Sharmarko is our best hitter; Goggins is the senior in the front 4. Looks like a committee, rather than one player who is going to take command.

I'd like to see Pugh and Sharmarko designated as permanent captains, but not expecting that to happen.

Agree with this. I think they need a permanent captain. You can have rotating game captains all you want. Marrone doesn't have to be Coach Mac but I would take a player showing some emotion on the field, and getting after teammates after lapses- whether its getting in their face or lifting them up.

I think they need to win football games. This is college football, Marrone is the leader. nassib the leader on offense, the seniors on D. It's football not a fortune 500 company. I find this stuff to be overplayed. Quit making stupid mistakes, improve special teams, offense in the red zone, prssure the QB and quit giving up huge plays on Defense. Leadership- peadership. As I said, this isn't a corporation.

We all know what is at risk, as does the staff. After 4 games, we are already talking about the same stuff as last year. The team is fine, they need to win games by playing better football, not reading leadership one liners.

Lou Holtz once said, "the man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one that dropped it" That is what this team should be worried about and like I said, it appears that they agree

Agree with this. I think they need a permanent captain. You can have rotating game captains all you want. Marrone doesn't have to be Coach Mac but I would take a player showing some emotion on the field, and getting after teammates after lapses- whether its getting in their face or lifting them up.

I hear you...but true leadership is not annointed. In the case of a sports team, it is recognized after already being evident.

Who says heads or tails, to me, is ceremonial. Who rallies the team, gets on people or lifts others up when needed is a leadership trait that is just flat out there or not.

I think they need to win football games. This is college football, Marrone is the leader. nassib the leader on offense, the seniors on D. It's football not a fortune 500 company. I find this stuff to be overplayed. Quit making stupid mistakes, improve special teams, offense in the red zone, prssure the QB and quit giving up huge plays on Defense. Leadership- peadership. As I said, this isn't a corporation.

We all know what is at risk, as does the staff. After 4 games, we are already talking about the same stuff as last year. The team is fine, they need to win games by playing better football, not reading leadership one liners.

Lou Holtz once said, "the man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one that dropped it" That is what this team should be worried about and like I said, it appears that they agree

I know what you're saying IB, but at the same time a lot of what has been plaguing us this year has been self-inflicted. We've played terribly stupid for 4 games. Where's the accountability? That's where strong leaders earn their stripes.

I know what you're saying IB, but at the same time a lot of what has been plaguing us this year has been self-inflicted. We've played terribly stupid for 4 games. Where's the accountability? That's where strong leaders earn their stripes.

The coach has taken the heat, it's all he can do at this point but dumb plays have nothing to do with leadership.. What does Lou Alexander not being a 1a right tackle have to do with leadership? Or Broyld or Nassib fumbling, they are just bonehead plays not examples of poor leaders. Diet Tab will be a kid who I bet will be very succesful in life, smart, hardworking kid and yes will be a leader, doesn't mean he has the size to blay MLB at this level. Comes down to talent and execution, the leadership thing? Not buying it

The funniest was a few years back in the NBA draft when they gave each player a 1 to 10 score for intangibles.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Who do you look to on offense, defense, and coaching to make THIS season a success?

In the context of leadership, there is little that can be done at this point in the season. Leadership has to be consistent and it has to be prevalent during the offseason, imo. The upperclassmen have to take control in the offseason and lead the younger guys in the weightroom, classroom, workouts, etc. They need to have a winning vision and the ability to not only get everyone to buy into that same vision, but to show self-discipline (lead by example) and instill a sound work-ethic in the rest of the team. When there is strong leadership, it tends to be evident when watching how the reserves practice and prepare for games. Strong leadership gets passed down.

I'm not on the team, so I don't know what the leadership situation is. The foundation might be there and we just haven't seen it yet in game situations, even though there have clearly been opportunities. I believe there are leaders on this team because I see an improved team (stronger, faster, more cohesive) from last year even though the record doesn't show it yet.

Perception is also tainted by optimism and pessimism, so my observations may not be the same as others.

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially that leadership is learned. But I disagree in that I think leadership can also be inherent. It is a talent that needs to be practiced, but like all talents, some have a higher innate ability than others.

Back in 2010 you had Carter,Smith,Hogue were the leaders. Whenever a play needed to be made they made it, we don't have anyone on this team who is doing that.

The coach has taken the heat, it's all he can do at this point but dumb plays have nothing to do with leadership.. What does Lou Alexander not being a 1a right tackle have to do with leadership? Or Broyld or Nassib fumbling, they are just bonehead plays not examples of poor leaders. Diet Tab will be a kid who I bet will be very succesful in life, smart, hardworking kid and yes will be a leader, doesn't mean he has the size to blay MLB at this level. Comes down to talent and execution, the leadership thing? Not buying it

I'm not really disagreeing.

I think questioning "leadership" tends to be one of those simplistic crutches that sports fans lean on because they don't understand Xs and Os. You can lump crap like "heart", "chemistry" and "intangibles" in that mix too.

I'm not really disagreeing.

I think questioning "leadership" tends to be one of those simplistic crutches that sports fans lean on because they don't understand Xs and Os. You can lump crap like "heart", "chemistry" and "intangibles" in that mix too.
There's a focus and execution element to playing the game that goes beyond the X's and O's. How do you describe it when players know what to do and when, but some find a way to make the play and others don't? Some players with less talent find a way to execute when more talented players don't.

It may just be the way individual differences in psyche play out on the field, but bonehead plays are made by very talented players who for whatever reason don't execute consistently and "scrappy" players with less talent seem to be in the right place at the right time AND make plays. We've had both over time in football as well as basketball.

Some people just seem to feed on competition and play with greater determination when it really counts. I think we have some of those folks and we need them to elevate their level of play to help others elevate theirs as well. I don't care how you define or label that ability, but we need it in order to win. I do agree with IB that the team is fine but just needs to play better and win, but only the coaches and players can do that and someone has to lead the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom