Least Favorite Actor/Actress | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Least Favorite Actor/Actress

Tom Cruise or Matthew McCounaughey -- I know that both guys have been in some good stuff, but their antics / self-absorption are extremely annoying. Can't stand either one of them.

Kathy Griffin -- and not for her semi-recent political issue, but rather for her collective body of work.

I'm a certified Tom Cruise hater. Loved him in Top Gun, but Far and Away was the worst movie of all time and makes him really punchable...

Actresses - can't think of one right now.

the DUKE? really? i guess if you hate westerns but then you would have to hate most actors from the 40-60s since they were king back then
There are a handful of Westerns that I appreciate. None of them involve John Wayne.

In college, a roommate did some sort of research paper involving John Wayne. We spent a weekend watching five or six of his films (those popularly-regarded as his best). I was amazed at how one-dimensionality was elevated to legendary status. John Wayne films are the epitome of what was wrong with the studio system.

There are many great actors from 40s through the 60s and plenty of films outside of the western genre, thankfully.

his one dimension was to play to what people wanted..
even still these are no where close to the same roles

the man who shot liberty valance
the searchers
stagecoach
red river
the shootist
true grit
she wore a yellow ribbon
fort apache
sons of katie elder
3 godfathers
the cowboys

now if you want to say these played to the same char you are right
el dorado
rio bravo
chisum
war wagon
mclintock
big jake
rio lobo

but then you throw in he had some pretty good depth
the quiet man
the green berets
north to alaska
the longest day
hell fighters
they were expendable
sands of iwo jima

bond/bourne/MI/rocky/rambo are exactly the same and people love them

so do you not read books either because chars are the same in almost every series that is written?

so do you not read books either because chars are the same in almost every series that is written?
I don't find his performances or the films in which he stars to be compelling. That is all. I'm glad you like him.

Mia Farrow irritates the hell out of me.

Also, Tom Cruise is ridiculous. How's that guy a movie star? He was excellent in Collateral, but in everything else his smugness distracts from the performance.

Great topic. The interesting thing about everyone named so far is that I can typically find something I liked them in or they’re in a movie I really liked. For example:

Giamatti - Private Parts. But in Sideways I wanted to punch him in the face.

Cruise - A Few Good Men. But in Jerry Maguire I wanted to punch him in the face.

McConaughy - Dazed and Confused. But most other things I want to punch him in the face.

Carey - Man on the Moon. But lately, very punchable.

I’d probably say Ben Stiller is my least favorite. His Dodgeball part is entertaining. Meet the Parents I want to punch him and especially his on screen girlfriend.

Actress - Probably Juliette Lewis. But I dug her in Natural Born Killers.

This is a great thread. Lot's of people/movies that I like have shown up on other people's list as ones they hate. I'm surprised no one mentioned Woody Allen yet. I'm not, because I love his movies but I can definitely see where people would never give him the time of day.

I will say for my picks Russell Crowe and Kelly Preston. I went to google for this one because there are very few I don't like. I hose Crowe because he has never been in a movie that I liked except for LA Confidential and A Beautiful Mind. Yes I know. Gladiator. I hated it. Sorry.

Kelly Preston is just a strange person to me. She's ok but just weird.

I’d like to change my formal answer.

James Franco
Anne Hathaway

That Oscars hosting fiasco is my Caine/Hackman thesis.

Great topic. The interesting thing about everyone named so far is that I can typically find something I liked them in or they’re in a movie I really liked. For example:

Giamatti - Private Parts. But in Sideways I wanted to punch him in the face.

Cruise - A Few Good Men. But in Jerry Maguire I wanted to punch him in the face.

McConaughy - Dazed and Confused. But most other things I want to punch him in the face.

Carey - Man on the Moon. But lately, very punchable.

I’d probably say Ben Stiller is my least favorite. His Dodgeball part is entertaining. Meet the Parents I want to punch him and especially his on screen girlfriend.

Actress - Probably Juliette Lewis. But I dug her in Natural Born Killers.

Cannot stand Juliette Lewis. Mostly for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. But she's a real peach in Old School as well.

There are a handful of Westerns that I appreciate. None of them involve John Wayne.

In college, a roommate did some sort of research paper involving John Wayne. We spent a weekend watching five or six of his films (those popularly-regarded as his best). I was amazed at how one-dimensionality was elevated to legendary status. John Wayne films are the epitome of what was wrong with the studio system.

There are many great actors from 40s through the 60s and plenty of films outside of the western genre, thankfully.
It's un-american not to like John Wayne. And you really have to remember he was from another generation. But the strong male role hasn't changed much over the years.. McQueen, Eastwood, Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Norris, Willis. And I am sure I missed some.

How about Jack Black?

That guy is totally unwatchable. I more or less feel the same way about Jimmy Fallon. Calm down, guys.

Yes, unfortunately, John Wayne-machismo persists in our culture.
Thank you for reminding me that in 2019 it's not permissible to enjoy a good war/action/cowboy movie.

Thank you for reminding me that in 2019 it's not permissible to enjoy a good war/action/cowboy movie.
I never said it wasn’t permissible. I was expressing an opinion. There is no shortage of war/action/western films these days. Your needs are still being served. Enjoy!

If someone expresses an opinion that is different than yours, it does not mean that they are telling you that you can't do something or that you can't have your own beliefs. Knee-jerk anti-PC defensiveness is worse than political-correctness itself.

Last edited:
How about Jack Black?

That guy is totally unwatchable. I more or less feel the same way about Jimmy Fallon. Calm down, guys.
He was good in High Fidelity and School of Rock. Other than that, I'm not sure I've seen anything else he was in.

Interesting. I might have pegged you as a Hathahater.

I didn’t join a club (knowingly).

I mean if she was single, looking, interested, I’m probably not going to say no.

Name one actor and actress that you despise - for a good reason, or no reason at all, but pretty much to the point where if they're the main player in a movie - you're somewhat likely to avoid it. If they both have, or ever do appear in a movie together, you're definitely going to avoid it.

I'll start, and go with:

Paul Giamatti // Hillary Swank

Will Ferrell- not that funny

1 out of 6-10 roles are funny, and less are funny the first time watched.
Like Jim Carey and Robin Williams, I would prefer to only see him in serious roles.

I’m always amazed at how good comedic-actors are at drama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom