Leave it to Schiano to come with something this stupid | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Leave it to Schiano to come with something this stupid

I love how it's a bad idea because Schiano came up with it instead of it being a good idea because it eliminates the most violent play in the game. Does it really make sense to have players get a 40+yd running start to ram into people that are standing still? What other sport does something like this as a part of the game? Bracing for the hit or not, it's still violent. With the pending litigation against the NFL as it relates to long-term health, the League has to be more proactive. There will be no more kickoffs 10 years from now.
It's a bad idea because it's a bad idea. I don't care who came up with it.

It would be awesome against WVa. We might go a whole half and never give the ball up.

This weeks si theres an article on Roger Goodell and the future of the NFL. Some of it re safety and in it was Schianos proposal to get rid of all kickoffs to which Goodell is giving a long listen.

Instead of kicking off the scoring team would take the ball on their own 30 with an artificially created 4th and 15 yards to go situation. THey can either punt or go for it. I mean seriously? Ridiculous. I'm all for safety and good with current changes but just move the kick off to the 40 or something.

you need to give your arms rest...kid,I posted this about 5 days ago.

This weeks si theres an article on Roger Goodell and the future of the NFL. Some of it re safety and in it was Schianos proposal to get rid of all kickoffs to which Goodell is giving a long listen.

Instead of kicking off the scoring team would take the ball on their own 30 with an artificially created 4th and 15 yards to go situation. THey can either punt or go for it. I mean seriously? Ridiculous. I'm all for safety and good with current changes but just move the kick off to the 40 or something.

Why not just make it an artificially created 1st and 30? I mean, why essentially force a team to punt without even taking a legitimate shot at a possession?

And no, I am not suggesting it.

Team A gets the ball back on it's own 30 yard line, only it's 4th and 15.

Team A can elect to punt, or it can elect to run a play.

There would be no more kickoffs or on-side kicks.

Can you imagine this during that year Brady threw 50 td's? It would be: Touchdown to welker. 4th & 15 - 60 yd td to moss, 4th & 15 - 60 yard td to moss. i'm not sure i want that.

Couple of ideas:

1) Why not on the kickoff only, the players where flags and play flag football. That would eliminate all hitting.

2) On the kickoff everyone runs backwards except the kick returner and the kicker. Or if you remember or played crab football/soccer in elementary school; everyone has to go down the field on all fours.

3) If your a WR you are not allowed to catch the ball if your about to get blasted.

4) If your a RB and about to get crushed because your linemen didn't block, you have to do a QB slide.

5) If your a defensive player and your about to knock the out of the QB, right before the hit you stop and throw a Red Cross flag up in the air which will stop the play.

If you don't like them then you are meatheads who don't want football to resemble some other game that nobody currently plays and you didn't grow up with.

I love how it's a bad idea because Schiano came up with it instead of it being a good idea because it eliminates the most violent play in the game. Does it really make sense to have players get a 40+yd running start to ram into people that are standing still? What other sport does something like this as a part of the game? Bracing for the hit or not, it's still violent. With the pending litigation against the NFL as it relates to long-term health, the League has to be more proactive. There will be no more kickoffs 10 years from now.
hey Spaz where are you, here's one all served right up for you, have at em :)

Teams have converted 4th & 15 at a 22% rate since 2000. That doesn't take field position into account. Most teams would punt from their own 30 unless the game was on the line.

hey Spaz where are you, here's one all served right up for you, have at em :)

I would hate to see the NFL go away from kickoffs and the violent hits will be there regardless but there needs to be some consideration of the health consequences for the players. My sons best friend is a former NFL player's father who is involved in the lawsuit against the NFL. The stories he tells about himself and other players are downright scary. I myself had a bad concussion (wakeboarding) that took nearly 4 months to get over and feel normal. I can't imagine having multiple concussions of that nature and concluding it doesn't have long term health consequences. I was one who used to think a concussion was no big deal and 'part of the game.' Not saying I agree with the kickoff replacement concept laid out, but I can understand the league changing the rules for health reasons. Life is more important than a game.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Couple of ideas:

1) Why not on the kickoff only, the players where flags and play flag football. That would eliminate all hitting.

2) On the kickoff everyone runs backwards except the kick returner and the kicker. Or if you remember or played crab football/soccer in elementary school; everyone has to go down the field on all fours.

3) If your a WR you are not allowed to catch the ball if your about to get blasted.

4) If your a RB and about to get crushed because your linemen didn't block, you have to do a QB slide.

5) If your a defensive player and your about to knock the out of the QB, right before the hit you stop and throw a Red Cross flag up in the air which will stop the play.

If you don't like them then you are meatheads who don't want football to resemble some other game that nobody currently plays and you didn't grow up with.
yep good stuff. Last week I was on the other side of one of these safety arguements preaching against the full speed blind side hits that can more times than not injure a guy vs. this when injury happens much less often, if you're smart about the way you play. You can control what happens by your actions vs. the blind side hit when it's out of your control and a total surprise.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/holy-ship-anyone-see-that-hit-in-the-nebr-wiscy-game.38010/

Anyone ok with that type hit better not be for this radical change to the game. I can't believe for the life of me that so many are ok with fundementally altering a big part and nature of the game that would in effect wussify and partially change the character of the game. Change up some of the rules for kick offs sure, as discussed elsewhere in this thread, to make it safer, but to get rid of such a big part of the game would be complete overkill.

When you're a player you live for special teams and to be able to be a part of this unit and be the wedge buster. You just gotta be smart when you do it, serve yourself up but not in a way to leave yourself open to injury. It can be done, I did it, loved it. Such a huge part of the game that I can't imagine not being a part of it anymore, heres a vote for change but not this radical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom