Legal perks on campus | Syracusefan.com

Legal perks on campus

GooseMutt

All Conference
I really believe that nowadays basketball facilities are important to elite recruits. Since you can not pay student athletes you can maybe entice them with luxury and comfort legally. The Melo center is nice but our locker room is small and doesn't have lounge chairs, pool table etc. A modern tricked out player dorm would probably help. We need an awesome film room. I know they are doing Dome renovations but they better be to the level of Kansas if we want to recruit like them( prob never gonna happen). Point is the program makes a ton of money for the school( wherever the heck it goes I don't know) and the more tricked out the facilities are the better recruits we will get and the more successful the program will be making more money. When you interview for a job you always wear your best suit. Desperate for solutions

I really believe that nowadays basketball facilities are important to elite recruits. Since you can not pay student athletes you can maybe entice them with luxury and comfort legally. The Melo center is nice but our locker room is small and doesn't have lounge chairs, pool table etc. A modern tricked out player dorm would probably help. We need an awesome film room. I know they are doing Dome renovations but they better be to the level of Kansas if we want to recruit like them( prob never gonna happen). Point is the program makes a ton of money for the school( wherever the heck it goes I don't know) and the more tricked out the facilities are the better recruits we will get and the more successful the program will be making more money. When you interview for a job you always wear your best suit. Desperate for solutions

You complain a lot.

Take out your checkbook and put your money where your mouth always is.

You complain a lot.

Take out your checkbook and put your money where your mouth always is.

GooseMutt might complain often but he has a good point here. Renovating a locker room is not a huge financial undertaking and the athletic department should have addressed the Dome locker rooms years ago; they're pretty pathetic. Unless they've changed since I was there in 2009, I remember thinking the locker room looked like what you'd find at a poor high school. Donations shouldn't be needed to fund something like this, the profits from the sports programs would more than cover reasonable renovations.

I know renovating the locker room is part of the future plans for the Dome, but this is something that should be addressed sooner than later.

GooseMutt might complain often but he has a good point here. Renovating a locker room is not a huge financial undertaking and the athletic department should have addressed the Dome locker rooms years ago; they're pretty pathetic. Unless they've changed since I was there in 2009, I remember thinking the locker room looked like what you'd find at a poor high school. Donations shouldn't be needed to fund something like this, the profits from the sports programs would more than cover reasonable renovations.

I know renovating the locker room is part of the future plans for the Dome, but this is something that should be addressed sooner than later.

Ditto... this point is legit to me

Have you ever seen the locker rooms at Duke?

They're 75 years old.

But it doesn't matter, since the players don't hang out there all day long. They spend 95% of their time across the street at the Michael W. Krzyzewski Center.

IMO it's a waste of money to put in new lockers that are only used for a few hours a year. Not when everyone lives at the Melo Center, and the new Football and Lacrosse Player Lounges at Manley.

They're 75 years old.

But it doesn't matter, since the players don't hang out there all day long. They spend 95% of their time across the street at the Michael W. Krzyzewski Center.

IMO it's a waste of money to put in new lockers that are only used for a few hours a year. Not when everyone lives at the Melo Center, and the new Football and Lacrosse Player Lounges at Manley.

They don't need to be Kentucky level, just not so crappy. I don't know exactly when the players arrive at the Dome on game days, but I'd imagine they don't walk (drive/ride) over to the Dome just an hour before tipoff. If I'm wrong, correct me. That means they probably spend a few hours in the locker rooms every gameday, not a 'few hours a year'.

I don't care what Duke does or doesn't do with their locker rooms.

They're 75 years old.

The locker rooms at Cameron Indoor are very nice. The building may be old and they do what they can to keep the "charm" but the lock rooms, coaches offices, even hallways from the floor to the locker room are very well kept and nice.

Have you ever taken a tour of Manley / Melo / Ensley?

As one who has, that stuff is pretty nice and it's where the players spend almost all their time.

I understand about prioritizing spending and locker rooms, in the grand scheme of functionality are probably low on the list, but I do think it matters in a recruiting context. And in all honesty, what would take to freshen up the dome locker rooms to look like that Duke picture there (which is all that is needed)? Like $300k maybe? That should be couch cushions money for a program like this. Speaking of couch cushions, when you see post game interviews in the locker rooms and the players are on those absolutely awful couches that look like were found on the side of the road - yeah we need to spruce it up at least a little.

They're 75 years old.

When attempting to compare Syracuse to Duke...scroll to 2:30. ;):)

Have you ever taken a tour of Manley / Melo / Ensley?

As one who has, that stuff is pretty nice and it's where the players spend almost all their time.
No I have not and wish I could. I've been in San Jose 30 yrs. I hate to be perceived as being a complainer but so be it. I just want Syracuse to be competitive on every level of recruiting and see other programs investing in really nice facilities. I believe bells and whistles are important to today's recruits. They are knocking down the doors in Kansas to join but Kansas doesn't give them the level of competition the ACC does to prepare for next level( my opinion). Those facilities are crazy nice. Got to be a factor ( again my opinion) I mean no insult to our university

Saying it doesn't matter is ridiculous. Everything makes an impression, and impressions can be cumulative. Obviously, a kid isn't going to make a decision based on this. But, if you want to portray yourself as a class outfit, you should have your fly zipped and your nose free of goblins, even if you think you're looking smart in your Pierre Cardin suit.

They don't need to be Kentucky level, just not so crappy. I don't know exactly when the players arrive at the Dome on game days, but I'd imagine they don't walk (drive/ride) over to the Dome just an hour before tipoff. If I'm wrong, correct me. That means they probably spend a few hours in the locker rooms every gameday, not a 'few hours a year'.

I don't care what Duke does or doesn't do with their locker rooms.

When my dad and I got to park in the "dome" parking lot, we got there a couple hours early. About an hour and a half before tip is when we started seeing players roll into the dome.

C-BzBcRVoAAQM5L.jpg

It's 2017. We have metal lockers.

When my dad and I got to park in the "dome" parking lot, we got there a couple hours early. About an hour and a half before tip is when we started seeing players roll into the dome.
Maybe because there is no player lounge setup. Who wants to sit on a metal folding chair in front of a metal locker for too long. If they had leather recliners. Tv s. Pool table. Couches snack area. I don't know but I would hang out there

Maybe because there is no player lounge setup. Who wants to sit on a metal folding chair in front of a metal locker for too long. If they had leather recliners. Tv s. Pool table. Couches snack area. I don't know but I would hang out there

You want them getting ready to play, or ready to take a nap?

We need to take it up a notch because our appeal is clearly slipping. Recent recruiting results tell us all we need to know. Thousands of tushies in the seats was one of our big selling points. ESPN, ESPNU, cable and streaming have diminished the importance of one of our main selling points. You no longer have to have fannies to get exposure. We need not only updated ancillary facilities but also an over-the-top residential facility with all the bling. This is big business. It needs constant reinvestment. Whether we like it or not we are in a facilities arms race and ignoring it will not make it go away. People are pointing a finger at Duke to argue that facilities do not matter. Only in a fantasy world do they not matter. If we are going head to head with the royalty we better have something special to offer.

Sure, there are other factors at work such as coach issues but that is all the more reason for us to step it up and have complete facilities second to none.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom