Legal perks on campus | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Legal perks on campus

Our locker room is at Melo for hoop and when the players get on the court they are playing in from of 25K plus fans for any conference game and usually on national TV.

But that doesn't mean the Dome can't get a more modern looking locker room. They're not mutually exclusive. All sports use the Dome locker room, so it wouldn't be redundant to make it nice.

But that doesn't mean the Dome can't get a more modern looking locker room. They're not mutually exclusive. All sports use the Dome locker room, so it wouldn't be redundant to make it nice.

Sure, fine...but in the scope of things that ail us, it's not that big a deal. The handwringing seems a bit much considering the lack of use. Guys take a bus in, change, play, shower, leave. The real stuff is at Manley/ Melo / Ensley. I can speak from seeing it some years ago many things were really a problem there. Those have been largely addressed, but more can be done.

We also offer opportunities that others don't.

Stinks how? You don't think the facilities there matter to recruits. What is the Oregon draw now? Their basketball legacy? Is it purely the coaching? I love when people on here who don't believe it is a real issue tell me to personally pay for it. My OP was not to bash the university but to have a discussion about how we might improve our recruiting/program. These updated facilities would compliment our iconic dome. The dome alone isn't drawing in 5 stars right now. Some folks on the board have a real sense of entitlement feel everyone should be clambering to play here. If we don't adapt to the times we will be left behind.

Public school. UNBELIEVABLE donors. You think they're going to have the absolute best of the best facilities? Obviously. Imagine if Phil Knight went to Syracuse instead.

Here's how Syracuse improves the program - donors.

I am also for changing the locker rooms. I get it. It is getting addressed but why only put lipstick on the pig when you can upgrade the whole facility? (Although I am still holding my breath on renovations)

Every single Power 5 conference gets (insert conference here) money. Why doesn't every single power 5 school have a state of the art practice facility, new or newly renovated stadium, and have top notch everything?

Donors.

Sure, fine...but in the scope of things that ail us, it's not that big a deal. The handwringing seems a bit much considering the lack of use. Guys take a bus in, change, play, shower, leave. The real stuff is at Manley/ Melo / Ensley. I can speak from seeing it some years ago many things were really a problem there. Those have been largely addressed, but more can be done.

We also offer opportunities that others don't.

That's a utilitarian way of looking at it. I'd argue a game day sanctuary would be appreciated by the athletes. But what do I know.

Most of the schools that you are drawing comparisons to are state institutions, not private universities. Funding is different, alumi bases are larger. Oregon has the Nike money, so they are probably never a good point of comparison. Doesn't mean we can't be better than they are, just probably not going to be when being better is directly measured by the amount of money we are able to spend.

This is a big headwind that I hope we can get creative in countering. The arms race in P5 athletics is getting crazier and crazier and we just don't have the same donor profile that many other programs have. Just repairing/maintaining the roof alone is going to take a substantial effort and cost in terms of time, resources, "trips to the well", etc. and realistically it's just for upkeep. It's not really something that players, coaches, boosters, recruits can "use"or "see". It's a lot of money that doesn't deliver a real exciting message to say "Hey, look at this upgraded roof."

Most schools when they go through big funding campaigns like what the Dome roof will cost then turn it around and use it to upgrade locker rooms, scoreboards, practice facilities, fan experience in seating and so on. These are all things that can inject excitement into a program. I hope the ACC money helps in this area and we don't exhaust some of our better fundraising resources. It's a lot to ask the same people over and over again to keep helping out.

The Melo Center is awesome. The locker rooms don't have to get to that level but, like a lot of us have said, something that at least resembles a 21st century setup would be nice. The Melo Center isn't all that close to the Dome. If players are relaxing in the Melo Center before gameday in early February, they have to then walk out into 20 degree snowy weather to get to the Dome where they're greeted by uncomfortable chairs and bare, metal lockers. They don't even get a personalized locker. I know it's a multi-use locker room, but some level of removable personalization so a player can feel like he has his own locker would be an easy thing to add. It'd be better than the strip of athletic tape with Scoop's name written in Sharpie that I saw in there.

Respect to the Melo center but how can you relax knowing you have to leave one building for another if we are speaking in practical terms I guess this is ok. If we are trying to swoon top recruits maybe a little more investment at Dome so they can lock in there and maybe feel spoiled. Many people argue whether college athletes should be paid. The revenue they generate is high per player at Cuse( my understanding) Show the love

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of a recruiting target saying he's not going to Syracuse (or any other school) because he didn't like the facilities there?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of a recruiting target saying he's not going to Syracuse (or any other school) because he didn't like the facilities there?

No I haven't. The only negative thing I have heard recruits reference is they don't want to play 100 percent zone

No I haven't. The only negative thing I have heard recruits reference is they don't want to play 100 percent zone
I,m glad that you are not in charge of facilities. we would be moving back to manley or archibold? Facilities matter. If they do not matter why do schools spend millions on new and upgraded facilities? Are kentucky, az, kansas oregon, virginia, louisville, etc run by idiots?

I,m glad that you are not in charge of facilities. we would be moving back to manley or archibold? Facilities matter. If they do not matter why do schools spend millions on new and upgraded facilities? Are kentucky, az, kansas oregon, virginia, louisville, etc run by idiots?

Me? I'm the one that began the thread to advocate facilities to appeal to top recruits. If I was in charge we would be the east coast Kansas. I'm confused by your comment

Did not mean you. I meant the person immediately before you, colonel Bleep, that said that facilities do not matter. My apologies.

No...they're run by people who can boost their own status and power by boosting their teams'.
Although...as great a coach as Rick Pitino is...he may be an idiot if he really didn't know about the hookers.

Every single Power 5 conference gets (insert conference here) money. Why doesn't every single power 5 school have a state of the art practice facility, new or newly renovated stadium, and have top notch everything?

Donors.

Wish we had more donors, but I can't complain.

I'll settle for some cushioned chairs though, for now. The AD could throw less than 5 grand into the locker room, and make it so much more appealing. Hell, raise the price of beer a 50 cents for a season, and we're good to go.

No...they're run by people who can boost their own status and power by boosting their teams'.
Although...as great a coach as Rick Pitino is...he may be an idiot if he really didn't know about the hookers.
I see;
1) Rick Pitino built Yum, and
2) He did it to boost his power, but
3) the new facilities do indeed boost the teams. "boosting their teams" as you just said.
4) All the teams I mentioned that are in the facilities arms race are simply the product of individuals that are power hungry for their own benefit, but
5) as you originally said players are not influenced by facilities.
Which is it? Do you really think that new facilities are created by just a few individuals in order to just boost an existing team with no regard to recruiting future teams?

Living quarters are the number one perk that most students look at. Build amazing apartments for the players and that will trump any other on campus perk.

But he's right! How much have you donated to Orange Club? Just wondering.

Oh I should foot the bill because I bring up something that may be hurting our recruiting. I paid for 4 years of education at Cuse and I should pay more . What have you done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom