LeMoyne College to join Div 1 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LeMoyne College to join Div 1

I hate this move for LeMoyne. Watching Queens get blasted this season. It's a long haul transition and you'll never be much more than an also-ran. I'd rather see them compete for D2 titles.

Sheehan's pay bump must be enormous.
An alum friend of mine is furious about this. But he also blames not seeing a future for DII lacrosse. The appeal with recruits now is that you compete for championships and play on memorial day weekend. Think they would still grab some quality local talent and Sheehan is a great coach (as well as a hard asz). But going from the very top tier to the very bottom is going to hurt them a ton in the short term.

An alum friend of mine is furious about this. But he also blames not seeing a future for DII lacrosse. The appeal with recruits now is that you compete for championships and play on memorial day weekend. Think they would still grab some quality local talent and Sheehan is a great coach (as well as a hard asz). But going from the very top tier to the very bottom is going to hurt them a ton in the short term.

The appeal for recruits is to compete for championships on memorial day weekend. Not directed at you but that's just crazy talk. That weekend is regulated for a few select schools. For the Bellermines, Mercers, Manhattans, Detroit Mercys, Merrimacks, now Lindenwood and Queens etc, those schools are just for kids to say they 'play D1'. The truth of the matter is that the FF is an elite club for select members and we all know it. LeMoyne will never sniff the FF. See Hobart (15 losing seasons since joining D1 give or take.)

By the way, the D2 Championship is in the same venue on the same weekend ;-)

I hate this move for LeMoyne. Watching Queens get blasted this season. It's a long haul transition and you'll never be much more than an also-ran. I'd rather see them compete for D2 titles.

Sheehan's pay bump must be enormous.

Lemoyne's in for a rude awakening. I hope they realize what they are getting into.

The appeal for recruits is to compete for championships on memorial day weekend. Not directed at you but that's just crazy talk. That weekend is regulated for a few select schools. For the Bellermines, Mercers, Manhattans, Detroit Mercys, Merrimacks, now Lindenwood and Queens etc, those schools are just for kids to say they 'play D1'. The truth of the matter is that the FF is an elite club for select members and we all know it. LeMoyne will never sniff the FF. See Hobart (15 losing seasons since joining D1 give or take.)

By the way, the D2 Championship is in the same venue on the same weekend ;-)
My bad I was not clear. I meant the appeal of joining Lemoyne as a DII school is that they compete for championships/memorial day weekend. Agree that it goes away if they are in D1. Have seen the DII championship a couple times on that wonderful weekend. Once in Foxborough and once in Baltimore.

They do. It’s about college visibility and marketing, not seeking a bigger challenge.

But with that come expectations and Lemoyne isn't Canisius or Siena or St. Bonaventure, they have been used to top 5 rankings, championships and at least final four appearances. The jump to D1 is absolutely enormous and NYS is already overcrowded with teams. If Lemoyne was down south or even a mid-atlantic college this move might make sense but how do they plan to try and recruit at the D1 level and compete with teams like Albany, Army and even Hobart much less Syracuse. I get everyone wants to be D1 but I am not sure there gonna love the visibility the first time they play SU and lose 25-8.

But with that come expectations and Lemoyne isn't Canisius or Siena or St. Bonaventure, they have been used to top 5 rankings, championships and at least final four appearances. The jump to D1 is absolutely enormous and NYS is already overcrowded with teams. If Lemoyne was down south or even a mid-atlantic college this move might make sense but how do they plan to try and recruit at the D1 level and compete with teams like Albany, Army and even Hobart much less Syracuse. I get everyone wants to be D1 but I am not sure there gonna love the visibility the first time they play SU and lose 25-8.
As an alum, I hate the idea. I don't know where the money is going to come from to build out the facilities needed for D1 for all sports.

And they're not going to come up expecting to be a national power. They're going to go to the MAAC and try to be competitive there. I don't know what that nets them in the long run, but there's no grand designs on Onondaga County superiority.

My bad I was not clear. I meant the appeal of joining Lemoyne as a DII school is that they compete for championships/memorial day weekend. Agree that it goes away if they are in D1. Have seen the DII championship a couple times on that wonderful weekend. Once in Foxborough and once in Baltimore.

Copy that.

And I would tell any non Blue Blood D1 kid who'll listen to go to a top D2 or D3 school and have a real chance to get a ring.

Has to be better for baseball, and maybe basketball?

Yup. Me too. And also in College Park in the 90's.

LIU was a top D2 program and did the same a few yrs back. The goal becomes win a conference championship and make the tournament. Those schools will never compete for a NC at the D1 level. It does give local kids not wanting to go away the opportunity to still play D1. I mean realistically there is 10 D1 programs now out of what 75 that can compete for FF wknd and less for a NC. Some kids would rather play D1 and maybe make the tournament one yr out of 4 then win a D2 Natty. Also I think with the transfer portal now kids believe if they do well at a lower D1 school they might be able to get an opportunity to play at a top school. Some kids reach there potential a little later or get overlooked. Look at Merrimack star Charlie Bertrand who transferred to Virginia and now is a PLL star. Logan McGovern is having a heck of season at UNC after transferring from Bryant. Will Mark made a name for himself at LIU and now is a top goalie in the ACC. I get what you guys are saying but I also get why it's not a bad thing either. There is more talent now spread thru out college lacrosse. Like you said they can join the MAAC and compete for a conference championship and get to experience playing in the NCAA tournament. Kids dream of that there whole childhood. U are seeing schools compete now like St Joes, Deleware, Jax exc. More talent is playing at lesser name schools these days. The sport is growing.

MAAC is what Le Moyne has courted in the past, but I think the most likely opening is in the NEC. Look at Merrimack in basketball; that's a conference where Le Moyne can be competitive quickly.

LIU was a top D2 program and did the same a few yrs back. The goal becomes win a conference championship and make the tournament. Those schools will never compete for a NC at the D1 level. It does give local kids not wanting to go away the opportunity to still play D1. I mean realistically there is 10 D1 programs now out of what 75 that can compete for FF wknd and less for a NC. Some kids would rather play D1 and maybe make the tournament one yr out of 4 then win a D2 Natty. Also I think with the transfer portal now kids believe if they do well at a lower D1 school they might be able to get an opportunity to play at a top school. Some kids reach there potential a little later or get overlooked. Look at Merrimack star Charlie Bertrand who transferred to Virginia and now is a PLL star. Logan McGovern is having a heck of season at UNC after transferring from Bryant. Will Mark made a name for himself at LIU and now is a top goalie in the ACC. I get what you guys are saying but I also get why it's not a bad thing either. There is more talent now spread thru out college lacrosse. Like you said they can join the MAAC and compete for a conference championship and get to experience playing in the NCAA tournament. Kids dream of that there whole childhood. U are seeing schools compete now like St Joes, Deleware, Jax exc. More talent is playing at lesser name schools these days. The sport is growing.
More scholarships available due to minimum funding requirements

Could potentially open up a spot for LeMoyne in the NEC. They would just have to find a home for the Lax program.
America East would have the teams closest to them.

Fvx51r8XgAA9aEG

Kinda cool. A kid who started with me at the youth level here in FL had an official visit to Lemoyne this week. Pretty excited for him. I guess St John's is also an option.
Swish be sure to mention to him the ACC road trips are better than BE road trips

LeMoyne has some solid majors too.

I've done my sell job already, probably overdid it. Dad sends me a text they are there. I send him 10 extolling the awesomeness of Syracuse, NY.
Chatted with the dad. Asked where they ate. 'The Gem' for breakfast. 'Tully's' for lunch. Decision within a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom