LeMoyne College to join Div 1 | Syracusefan.com

LeMoyne College to join Div 1

I know LeMoyne had a baseball team that played D1, but I don't recall their LAX team being somewhere other than NE-10 for a long time.

Right in early 2000s when I was there it was Mens Baseball and Womens Lax for DI

Rest was D2. Sounds like they want to transition everything to DI. Bold move.

The LeMoyne administration has unrealistic visions of grandeur (athletics and academics). This is just a really bizarre decision. AD (Beretta) was a St. Bonaventure guy so the schools are comparable I guess. I don't think this is great news for the LeMoyne lacrosse team - have to believe this is a basketball related decision and that's where the dollars will be flowing.

The LeMoyne administration has unrealistic visions of grandeur (athletics and academics). This is just a really bizarre decision. AD (Beretta) was a St. Bonaventure guy so the schools are comparable I guess. I don't think this is great news for the LeMoyne lacrosse team - have to believe this is a basketball related decision and that's where the dollars will be flowing.

Lacrosse is about to get a rude awakening. NY has to many D1 programs as it is and Sec 3 is in the worst elite talent level drought in 30 years. Good luck.

Lacrosse is about to get a rude awakening. NY has to many D1 programs as it is and Sec 3 is in the worst elite talent level drought in 30 years. Good luck.
Everyone with Lemoyne lacrosse knows that and is not loving the news.

It makes more sense for them to join the MAAC over the NEC. We will see how this plays out. I believe the schools in the MAAC are closer and would have less travel than the schools in the NEC.

It makes more sense for them to join the MAAC over the NEC. We will see how this plays out. I believe the schools in the MAAC are closer and would have less travel than the schools in the NEC.

The NEC isn't really an option as they have folded as a lax conference. The only real option is the MAAC that even remotely makes sense. Maybe America East.

It would be more compelling for a school like RIT to move up to D1 considering their pedigree and the amount of high school talent in the Rochester area. But yeah NY has too many D1 teams; they could have their own tournament lol

It would be more compelling for a school like RIT to move up to D1 considering their pedigree and the amount of high school talent in the Rochester area. But yeah NY has too many D1 teams; they could have their own tournament lol

RIT would be interesting but again your going from a big fish in a relatively small pond to a minnow in the ocean. Any NY school thinking of jumping to D1 for lax should take a look at Siena, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, Bingo etc who if their lucky will have one winning season maybe two a decade with maybe 1 NCAA tournament appearance where they will lsoe by 15 to UVA or Maryland or Duke. Michigan had every potential advantage you can have when they moved to D1 and they still haven't sniffed an NCAA tourney berth and wouldn't even make the conference tourney if the B10 didn't open it up to every team.

Declaring you've initiated the process to move up to D1 is all well & good, but I'm skeptical that a 1-AAA conference is actually looking to add new members at this point. This is all tied directly to conference-level revenue generated via March Madness "unit" payouts so expansion only reduces the distribution for current members. Can someone suggest a logical argument for why a school in the NEC/MAAC would vote to accept a new member at this point?

Declaring you've initiated the process to move up to D1 is all well & good, but I'm skeptical that a 1-AAA conference is actually looking to add new members at this point. This is all tied directly to conference-level revenue generated via March Madness "unit" payouts so expansion only reduces the distribution for current members. Can someone suggest a logical argument for why a school in the NEC/MAAC would vote to accept a new member at this point?
Both of these conferences have lost members recently and are actively looking for new schools/members. Three new members of the the NEC were in the same conference that LeMoyne presently are in, Bryant, Merrimack and Stonehill, all of those schools have made the jump to Division 1 sports.

The next Saint Peter's.

The NEC isn't really an option as they have folded as a lax conference. The only real option is the MAAC that even remotely makes sense. Maybe America East.
I believe the NEC members have other conferences affiliations for lacrosse. Hobart and St. Josephs play in the A10, LIU plays in MAAC, Fairfield in the CAA and Merrimac will be playing in the America East. This is not like Football or Basketball where everyone is completing over TV revenue so I don't see that as a barrier. This is just about scheduling. I think the MAAC makes the most sense from a travel perspective - a lot of day trips to fill out your schedule in conference: Canisius, LIU, Marist, Manhattan, Siena. Plus a lot of other possible opponents close by in Binghamton, Colgate, Albany, Lehigh, Army, Bucknell, Hofstra, etc...

The NEC has dropped mens lacrosse as a sport beginning next season...LIU, Sacred Heart and Wagner will play in the MAAC Lacrosse for the next two seasons. Bryant will be playing in the America East conference. Obviously, these two conferences are in a state of flux, which enables LeMoyne to jump right in and compete, the only downside is they will not be allowed to compete in the NCAA's even if they win the conference as they would have to wait 4 seasons, as that is a rule sanctioned by the NCAA.

Maybe they can be the 6th member of the ACC!!!!!

:rolleyes:
I'm holding out for one or more of Texas, Texas A&M, and Georgia when they wake up to the fact that there are good players and HS teams in their state.

I'm holding out for one or more of Texas, Texas A&M, and Georgia when they wake up to the fact that there are good players and HS teams in their state.
The texas schools are hindered by the HS coaches locking down players. HS coaches do not generally allow their players to participate in other sports. Plus, most sports are year round participation. My daughters' volleyball totalled 9-10 months of the year between the season and off season training, with a breakmbetween each. A friend's son was on the state championship swim team two years in a row, they had a similar schedule. And coaches knew if kids missed "voluntary" workouts as well as played other sports such as intramural sports.

I think once the dam breaks, lacrosse will spread like wild fire because you don't need to be a freak of nature to excel. To the contrary, lacrosse is better suited to average size people who are athletic and versatile. More people can play and there are less concussions (football), more scoring (soccer), and faster paced (baseball).

Could potentially open up a spot for LeMoyne in the NEC. They would just have to find a home for the Lax program.

I hate this move for LeMoyne. Watching Queens get blasted this season. It's a long haul transition and you'll never be much more than an also-ran. I'd rather see them compete for D2 titles.

Sheehan's pay bump must be enormous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom