less kids will play football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

less kids will play football

Your points are valid.

But I see what I see in the aggregate. And that's a whole generation of people who seem scared of everything. They are bombarded with fears that have infintesimal probabilities of occuring. And I posit that they are producing children who will be influenced by all this excessive concern for their safety ... all this fear that permeates the airways and the rest of the media. Fear sells.

I obviously think car seats are a good idea because driving in a car is a dangerous thing. It's expecially dangerous if the Mom or Dad is talking or texting on a cell phone while driving ... something I see repeatedly here in DC. They have a Volvo. The kids are in car seats. They are hydrated. They have all the right kinds of snacks. But the Mom is driving with one hand while being distracted by someone on the other end of the phone.
Agree. There are likely people who are excessive in trying to avoid any harm. I also agree that fear sells...but though it sells and is represented as "news", it may not really reflect reality. To most of us, these things are simple changes and done in moderation without hysteria. Sure, out kids will be raised differently...in some ways good, in some ways not as good.

i think it might be better for your case against football if you didn't bring up abductions.

that truly is hysteria. way overblown.

would be a shame if people dismiss concerns about football simply because the concerns are coming from helicopter parents.
I never made a case against football. Not one word.

Also, I was not the one who first brought up abductions. I responded to someone else who did.

I never made a case against football. Not one word.

Also, I was not the one who first brought up abductions. I responded to someone else who did.
sorry about that, i lost track of who's who here skimming

Well, that's just great. You hear that, Ed? Bears. Now you're putting the whole station in jeopardy.

It's not the acute injuries anyones worried about.

That's not what I hear. There's a lot of fear from parents about the potential for acute injuries.

What you are saying is that the new fear is that research is suggesting that there is a problem with cumulative effect of repeated collisions.

If it turns out that this is true and a significnt problem then this will be the death knell of sports like football without significant changes in equipment.

But then you also have to look at all sports. There are more than a few blows to the head in lacrosse as kids learn how to stick check and not slash. How about heading the ball in soccer? Seems pretty jarring to me. Even with the new batting helmets, getting beaned gets your attention. Losing those teeth in hockey comes with some disturbance to the noggin, one would think.

That leaves us with cross country and golf as our national pastimes.

given what is now known re football and the possible catastrophic effects do you think the numbers of kids who would play football will decline,as parental awareness grows? will we sweeping changes to the game to protect players?will we see advanced technological equipment strides to address the issues.would you let your kids play football?

I think that in time - in the future - football could go the way of boxing - where the less affluent are willing to risk serious injury for financial reward.

I suspect that more and more parents of all financial means will push their kids to play soccer, baseball and basketball.

Ultimately, I believe that American soccer will benefit from the news about the effects of football.

That's not what I hear. There's a lot of fear from parents about the potential for acute injuries.

This is not a knock but I think you may be paying too much attention to sensationalized "news" reports and shows which don't really reflect the actual viewpoints of parents out there. You may assume the news is a reflection of the actual sentiment on the topic but it's really not. Parents are concerned and will make reasonable changes to keep kids safer. I'm all for that.

Also, I love cross country even though the injury rate is about 100% :)

What you are saying is that the new fear is that research is suggesting that there is a problem with cumulative effect of repeated collisions.

If it turns out that this is true and a significnt problem then this will be the death knell of sports like football without significant changes in equipment.

But then you also have to look at all sports. There are more than a few blows to the head in lacrosse as kids learn how to stick check and not slash. How about heading the ball in soccer? Seems pretty jarring to me. Even with the new batting helmets, getting beaned gets your attention. Losing those teeth in hockey comes with some disturbance to the noggin, one would think.

The problem is the cummulative trauma every down of football imparts on a body. I don't think that's as avoidable as it is in lacrosse, soccer, baseball etc.

I would have serious reservations about my kid playing football.

1700 kids? Wow.

My expeeince exactly on the pre and post practice injuries.

There is no growing up without risk.

There is no playing sports without risk.

Youth football --- based on my experience --- seems relatively risk free. An 85 lb kid takling another 85 lb kid each with all this equipment on is relatively safe. The weight times velocity equation isn't all that high.

I used to think that too, but recent studies have shown that the force on the brain is the same in the 85lb on 85lb hit as it is on the 250lb on 250lb hit.

I think you are generalizing about this generation way too much. Yes, moms are much more concerned than they used to be, but back in the old days they weren't even allowed to open there mouth about their opinion. The difference is now they can actually voice their concern. Father's are beginning to question it because they see stars athletes tear ACLs all the time in football or they pass out in the middle of a game from a helmet on helmet. No, there aren't that many injuries in Pop Warner because they're all pretty much the same size. I bet the statistics on Modified and JV injuries are ridiculous though.

And don't give me this crap about people being tougher back in the old days because that is false. Have you been over to the sandbox on deployment for a year? I have, I did it right out of high school. I saw and felt crap I hope nobody ever has to see. Parents are beginning to realize that there is more to life than sports like an education so that you can actually get a job. All I'm hearing is stubborn dismissive views from an old time baby boomer. This isn't the 70s anymore, and society has changed for the better. America isn't tougher than anyone else simply because we play football.

The problem is the cummulative trauma every down of football imparts on a body. I don't think that's as avoidable as it is in lacrosse, soccer, baseball etc.

I would have serious reservations about my kid playing football.

I agree with this post.

Concussions are possible in many sports. They happen. Injuries happen

But concussions and injuries are inevitable in football - they are part of the game.

Football is dangerous. I wonder whether I would allow my kid to play.

I would much rather have him play soccer.

I have some strong opinions on this.

First, I served as the administrative officer for a large youth football club in the DC area. We had five teams in various weight classes and about 100 kids. In the five years I did this, we had one serious injury in 200 games and hundreds of full contact practices. This is a "select" league and our "franchise" had dozens of kids who went on to play in college and even some that went to the NFL. . A kid dislocated his hip after being tackled on the part of the field that was baseball infield. The doctors said it ws a congenital weakness in the hip.

But kids were hurt. You wanna know when? The got hurt doing horseplay before and after practice and in their backyards. When they were supervised with equipment there were rarely injuries. Left on their own, there were plenty of injuries ... because they are boys.

Secondly, through the years, it seems to me that the parents who didn't let the kids play football and learn from the experience, produced boys that were less confident and more fearful. The parents let their own fears take over.

Football isn't for everybody. A wise man once told me that a football field was the greatest place in the world if you wanted to be there and the worst place in the world if you didn't. But don't let your --- or your wife's --- imagined fears deny a boy an opportunity to try it and find out if he likes it or not. There's no shame in not wanting to get knocked around if that isn't your thing. But at least have them try it. No pressure.
i dunno about the secondly part though--i know more kids who had more confidence than many football players

Im not sure i will let my future Son play football. I played 9 years from Junior High to Senior Year in college. I only played at the Division 3 level. I'm not sure how many concussions i played with but i suspect at least one. I'm 34 years old and my body feels like a truck hit it on some days. While playing football i suffered the following injuries, (i played OL and DL), Sprained my right knee twice and my left once. I have minisucs torn in both knees, stretched out MCL. Bruised and cracked ribs, torn bicep tendon, hip or groin tear. Needless to say the sport beats you down, however i wouldnt change a thing. I loved playing the game. but damn does it hurt later in life.

I used to think that too, but recent studies have shown that the force on the brain is the same in the 85lb on 85lb hit as it is on the 250lb on 250lb hit.

I'm something of a science , but I seem to recall it's the kinetic energy that gets you. And"velocity" is the big driver. Isn't the formula 1.2 mass x the velocity squared?

I think that in time - in the future - football could go the way of boxing - where the less affluent are willing to risk serious injury for financial reward.

I suspect that more and more parents of all financial means will push their kids to play soccer, baseball and basketball.

Ultimately, I believe that American soccer will benefit from the news about the effects of football.
i agree with the boxing analogy

I agree with this post.

Concussions are possible in many sports. They happen. Injuries happen

But concussions and injuries are inevitable in football - they are part of the game.

Football is dangerous. I wonder whether I would allow my kid to play.

I would much rather have him play soccer.

What's he want to play?

Your fears or his?

This was the first thing that came to mind when I read the OP.

So basically the SEC should be fine.

I'm something of a science , but I seem to recall it's the kinetic energy that gets you. And"velocity" is the big driver. Isn't the formula 1.2 mass x the velocity squared?

I'm no scientist either, but the body and skull absorb and distribute some of the force of the impact away from the brain. Apparently, because a child's body is smaller, it can't absorb as much force as an adult's body. As a result, the impact on the brain is correspondingly the same as with two adults hitting each other. At least, that was the conclusion of a study that I read.

i dunno about the secondly part though--i know more kids who had more confidence than many football players
The other part to that is...e.g. I grew up with 4 brothers and a mother who would not let any of us play organized football. We could play pretty much any other sport but she would not sign for us to play football. Mind you, we could go out without pads, helmets, atc. and play tackle sandlot football all day. We could also beat the crap out of each other with cheapo vinyl kid's boxing gloves with no head gear. That was all fine...but "no football!"

Kids are fearless.

That is the point.

The experience of our boys playing youth and high school football was such a joy to them that denying that to them --- in retrospect --- would seem to me to have been supremely selfish on my part. Allowing my fears to trump their spirit and fearlessness.

The world is full of risk and attempting to shield people from all of it leaves them with a dull existence.

70s-that-how-we-roll.jpg

That is the point.

The experience of our boys playing youth and high school football was such a joy to them that denying that to them --- in retrospect --- would seem to me to have been supremely selfish on my part. Allowing my fears to trump their spirit and fearlessness.

The world is full of risk and attempting to shield people from all of it leaves them with a dull existence.

i got lots of joy from being a lunatic pyro in middle school, doesn't mean i won't try to stop my kid from doing it

The other part to that is...e.g. I grew up with 4 brothers and a mother who would not let any of us play organized football. We could play pretty much any other sport but she would not sign for us to play football. Mind you, we could go out without pads, helmets, atc. and play tackle sandlot football all day. We could also beat the crap out of each other with cheapo vinyl kid's boxing gloves with no head gear. That was all fine...but "no football!"

Bingo, XC84.

You weren't allowed to play in a supervised environment encased in protective equipment ... but you were not prohibited tieing a rope to a tree limb and swinging out from it with an adult in sight.

You might want to check the head injuries out in that sport as well before you get on the Lacrosse soap box. Lacrosse is the number 1 youth sport in Fauquier county that causes head injuries.

Do they not play hockey there? Generally it's 1) hockey 2) football for head injuries