less kids will play football | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

less kids will play football

. We're both better than Baby Boomers though, that generation was flat out awful. ;-)

How old do you think tipphill was when he graduated college in the late 60's? Or what age do you think baby boomers are?

How old do you think tipphill was when he graduated college in the late 60's? Or what age do you think baby boomers are?

Perhaps my trolling has not been clear to all.

I'm sure that most of the injuries are not life-altering - they involve sprains, internal derrangement of the knee - etc.

Football injuries can be life threatening and life altering.

Very different in my opinion.

In high school? You think there's a high percentage of life threatening and life altering injuries in high school football? That sound like hysteria to me.

Concussions are very prevalent in soccer. Have you ever headed a ball coming full speed on a cold, northeastern night?

I think people should do whatever they think is best for their kids, so I'm not really trying to persuade you or anything.

I just think comparing professional athletes who have sustained thousands of hits at extremely high speeds against gigantic competition to high school football players is a bit of a stretch.

Perhaps my trolling has not been clear to all.

Sometimes I think that outrageous statements like "the worst generation" are designed to bait others into equally outrageous statements.

In my case that bait missed the mark as I'd agree that the baby boomers, who became the young adults of the 1960's, are cetainly candidates for the "worst generation" title.

I don't think so.

There already is plenty of holding - the calls are inconsistent and hard to figure.

Just get rid of the penalty - allow it - protect the QBs and protect the linemen.
That would never work leave the game how it is. My suggestion is just boot kids for 3 games if they are hitting helmet to helmet that how the majority of those injuries happen

It has become a brutal game.

I love it, but with what we are now learning and with what we have seen in terms of the damage the game causes to world class athletes, I truly hope that they figure out a way to make the game safer.

My ideas: (1) put a weight limit on players - no need for 300 pound football players; (2) get rid of the 20 pound helmets - they cause more injuries than they prevent; (3) re-establish the bump and run - slow the play down in the secondary; and (4) allow offensive holding - reduce the speed of play on the OL.

Thank you for reading.
weight limit was my initial thought but so many of the concussions are coming from guys that aren't anywhere near 300 lbs. it's the 250 lb guys with such remarkable speed.

i don't know what to do about it. i'd start with the mark kelso helmets. (some SF lineman wore it) simple, cheap, nobody has to unlearn anything. i think that could help. but these meatheads will have to be forced to do it because they don't look cool enough.

when i was a middle school kid, soccer goalies had to wear foam helmets and mouth guards. I looked like a complete fool but my friends didn't, they got to wear cool uniforms and here i am with a foam helmet, mouthguard, and oven mitt gloves on. so when i was a freshman in high school, screw that i wasn't going to wear them. already looked goofy enough, I didn't need help. so what happens? i cover up the ball and some idiot kicks me in the head. wake up with my friends hovering over me. concussion, what's that? and i didn't come out of the game because that's not cool either.

gotta make everyone do it.

weight limit was my initial thought but so many of the concussions are coming from guys that aren't anywhere near 300 lbs. it's the 250 lb guys with such remarkable speed.

i don't know what to do about it. i'd start with the mark kelso helmets. (some SF lineman wore it) simple, cheap, nobody has to unlearn anything. i think that could help. but these meatheads will have to be forced to do it because they don't look cool enough.

when i was a middle school kid, soccer goalies had to wear foam helmets and mouth guards. I looked like a complete fool but my friends didn't, they got to wear cool uniforms and here i am with a foam helmet, mouthguard, and oven mitt gloves on. so when i was a freshman in high school, screw that i wasn't going to wear them. already looked goofy enough, I didn't need help. so what happens? i cover up the ball and some idiot kicks me in the head. wake up with my friends hovering over me. concussion, what's that? and i didn't come out of the game because that's not cool either.

gotta make everyone do it.

Ah yes, the emotional scars from having to wear uncool clothes.

In high school? You think there's a high percentage of life threatening and life altering injuries in high school football? That sound like hysteria to me.

Concussions are very prevalent in soccer. Have you ever headed a ball coming full speed on a cold, northeastern night?

I think people should do whatever they think is best for their kids, so I'm not really trying to persuade you or anything.

I just think comparing professional athletes who have sustained thousands of hits at extremely high speeds against gigantic competition to high school football players is a bit of a stretch.

I have played and coached soccer at fairly high levels.

I have headed many a ball in my lifetime - still do. I have never suffered a concussion and have never seen a player suffer a concussion. I'm sure they occur when the ball is not struck correctly, but I suspect that it is not a real issue.

Comparing soccer to football in terms of the injury factor is pointless - there is no comparison.

Ah yes, the emotional scars from having to wear uncool clothes.
maybe nike can come up with some ridiculous big head air helmet for oregon to wear that all the kids will want and all the old guys will complain about how dumb it looks

I have played and coached soccer at fairly high levels.

I have headed many a ball in my lifetime - still do. I have never suffered a concussion and have never seen a player suffer a concussion. I'm sure they occur when the ball is not struck correctly, but I suspect that it is not a real issue.

Comparing soccer to football in terms of the injury factor is pointless - there is no comparison.
my own concussion notwithstanding, this is obviously right. it's a silly comparison.

messi would die in a football game

found this interesting

While high school baseball has a relatively low rate of injury compared to other sports -- Comstock and Collins are in the midst of comparing nine different sports -- it has the largest proportion of fractures (even more than football) and second-largest proportion of injuries that resulted in a time loss of more than seven days (trailing only boys' soccer).

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/health/article/Living-Well-Youth-baseball-injury-stats-Ouch-1275020.php#ixzz1uO7ovFuW

I hate that we as parents overthink things, Football is a tough sport and sure you can get hurt but I certainly would let me kids play, I worry more about my kids getting hurt on skaetboards and bikes racing down a hill than playing organized sports, speed kills

maybe nike can come up with some ridiculous big head air helmet for oregon to wear that all the kids will want and all the old guys will complain about how dumb it looks

My dad forced me to wear break-away glasses when I played CYO basketball.

I still bear the emotional scars from the looks and laughs.

I know it will never happen and is probably counter intuitive, but I think college and pro football should return to the old 1960s helmets.

I have one from 1966. It weighs about one quarter of what a modern helmet weighs - no comparison -and it has the old Johnny U facemask.

Because that helmet was so light, players didn't use it to spear opponents as much as they do nowadays - the helmet was much less a weapon back then.

So, go back to the old helmet and reduce the number of helmet to helmet hits.

According to the analysis of some people here, my son is going to be f$cked!
He plays football, hockey and lacrosse. Helmet design is so much better than when I played. I bought him a Cascade M11 hockey helmet for hockey and he uses it for lacrosse. It is proven to help reduce concussions significantly according to information that is out there. $160 for some peace of mind is worth it to me. Football helmets for Clay Panthers were updated a couple of years ago and from what I hear, Ridel will be offering helmet designs inline with the pros.

My dad forced me to wear break-away glasses when I played CYO basketball.

I still bear the emotional scars from the looks and laughs.

I know it will never happen and is probably counter intuitive, but I think college and pro football should return to the old 1960s helmets.

I have one from 1966. It weighs about one quarter of what a modern helmet weighs - no comparison -and it has the old Johnny U facemask.

Because that helmet was so light, players didn't use it to spear opponents as much as they do nowadays - the helmet was much less a weapon back then.

So, go back to the old helmet and reduce the number of helmet to helmet hits.

erik dickerson might've been able to pull off rec specs but i sure couldn't