Let the rampant speculation on Fab Melo begin! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let the rampant speculation on Fab Melo begin!

?

• Poll choice...

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
JB essentially said that Melo wasn't suspended from the NCAAT due to academic issues.

A GM who takes AD over Trob doesn't deserve to be one.

I'd love to know your thoughts circa 2004 on the Okafor vs Howard debate?

For reference:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2004/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=1821692

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1032313/index.htm

Orlando made the correct call (not that it has really gained them anything) and drafted Howard. Similar situation Robinson/Okafor vs Drummond/Howard.

Thomas (18/12/1) and Okafor (18/12/4) vs. Drummond (10/8/3) and Howard (26/18/8)*

*Howards high school stats, for true comparison Drummond averaged 20/17/7

You could make the argument (based on high school stats) that Howard was a better offensive player compared to Drummond, however I would also argue Okafor was the more dominant junior compared to Robinson. As a matter of scale I'd say this is a similar comparison.

EDIT: I'm not saying Drummond should be taken over Robinson, I'm just saying there is precedent for it.

If the Bobcats can make the wrong pick, they will. MJ needs to keep his nose out of those decisions. He has proved too many times he is not a good owner/manager/coach or anything else except a player.

If the Bobcats can make the wrong pick, they will. MJ needs to keep his nose out of those decisions. He has proved too many times he is not a good owner/manager/coach or anything else except a player.

It seems Rich Cho has been in charge since he started last year. I'm a fan of what he has done so far.

In my mock draft, I'm predicting he goes to Houston at 18. I'm expecting Houston to trade 14 and 16 away, and pick up Fab at 18.

With Houston trading away Dalembert today, Fab would be a solid (and cheaper) replacement.

Arent they trying to stockpile and get better picks to trade for Howard?

That appears to be the case. And if that deal falls through (which seems likely), Houston is going to need a center one way or another.

Did the Bobcats pee in your Cheerios or something?

Did the Bobcats pee in your Cheerios or something?
When you live near enough to keep track of what has happened with that franchise, you can get a little paranoid about how they do things.

Rich Cho may do good things, but he has to have his hands full listening to MJ.

When you live near enough to keep track of what has happened with that franchise, you can get a little paranoid about how they do things.

Rich Cho may do good things, but he has to have his hands full listening to MJ.

Born and raised in Charlotte. Jordan has bombed many drafts but Gerald Henderson has turned out well so far. Time will tell on last year. Cho has helped greatly. I think they can turn a corner now.

Ok - back to Fab Melo stuff. Sorry, guys :)

I believe he will attempt to sign a contract of a higher drafted player.

It seems Rich Cho has been in charge since he started last year. I'm a fan of what he has done so far.

He's off to an impressive start.

you are assuming that Fab is a legitimate NBA center . . . I don't think he is and I don't think he will be for a few years. Star centers indeed are rare, but you can pick up rotation bigs who will be more productive than Fab in the remainder bin, while using your pick on someone who is more ready to contribute.

of course, there is a reason why I am not a GM, but I think teams tend to overvalue size in the draft

He's a better player right now than Drummond is. We only lost one game with him last year. He had a lot to do with that.

He's a better player right now than Drummond is. We only lost one game with him last year. He had a lot to do with that.
I'm not sure about that. I don't think Drummond was happy with his team, UConn, whatever, last year. He seemed to be going through the motions too many times. I believe you will see a more committed Drummond in the NBA. Fab---who knows. He showed several sides of himself while at Syracuse. Does he really want to be a solid NBA player? Stay tuned.

He showed off what was obviously a great work ethic prepping for last season.

Don't know that that's any more indicative of Fab's character than, say, showing up for his freshman season overweight and unprepared demonstrates a poor work ethic. To say nothing of what - regardless of what got him suspended - spending the majority of his evenings at bars in a semester marred by academic struggles suggests about his work ethic.

No easy way to make generalizations about Fab's character or drive based on a snippet of his behavior. More reasonable to suggest that he was an important part of his college team but a limited center who will need to improve by leaps and bounds to contribute to an NBA team.

I'm not sure about that. I don't think Drummond was happy with his team, UConn, whatever, last year. He seemed to be going through the motions too many times. I believe you will see a more committed Drummond in the NBA. Fab---who knows. He showed several sides of himself while at Syracuse. Does he really want to be a solid NBA player? Stay tuned.

Based on their respective bodies of work last year, Fab was the better player. Period. Saying Drummond wasn't happy doesn't matter. When you have a player with those physical skills playing for such an underachieving team, why do you think the light will suddenly go on for him?

Yeah Drummond played like he didn't care in HS and college. I'M SURE the light will go off in the NBA!

And LOL at caw's rationalisation that because there's precedent that it's wouldn't be a stupid decision. Cmon man you're better than that.

Yeah Drummond played like he didn't care in HS and college. I'M SURE the light will go off in the NBA!

And LOL at caw's rationalisation that because there's precedent that it's wouldn't be a stupid decision. Cmon man you're better than that.
Well, the NBA gurus think otherwise, because I believe you'll see Drummond picked about 15-20 slots ahead of Fab.

Yeah Drummond played like he didn't care in HS and college.

And yet in spite of this, Drummond still easily outplayed Fab over the course of their 3 meetings. Fab must really stink.

And yet in spite of this, Drummond still easily outplayed Fab over the course of their 3 meetings. Fab must really stink.

3 wins. "Easily outplayed".

3 wins. "Easily outplayed".

I mean, I don't know about "easily," but it's hard not to watch those three games and come away with the idea that one of those centers is better than the other. And the better one wasn't Fab.

Difficult to compare offensive numbers, but Drummond sure looked better head-to-head.

Southerland, however, looked better than all of the above.

Sweet strawman. Point out where I compared Fab and Drummond.

Sweet strawman. Point out where I compared Fab and Drummond.
It was a joke man. I don't actually think Fab stinks. Just poking fun at your assertion that Drummond played like he "didn't care", which is idiotic in my opinion.

Right. Because no one has ever criticized his focus or consistency.