Let the rampant speculation on Fab Melo begin! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Let the rampant speculation on Fab Melo begin!

?

• Poll choice...

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yeah Drummond played like he didn't care in HS and college. I'M SURE the light will go off in the NBA!

And LOL at caw's rationalisation that because there's precedent that it's wouldn't be a stupid decision. Cmon man you're better than that.

How many games of Drummond's did you watch in high school? I seriously want to know, I saw about 10-12. He did coast (or at least looked like it) because it was so obviously easy for him. I don't think that's the same as not caring.

How many games did you see in college? I really hate the argument that Drummond "didn't care". He has many flaws to his game and is needs to learn a lot of skills. To say he doesn't care, that is just a horrid argument to make about Drummond. Tell me he doesn't know how to box out properly, tell me he doesn't have a post up game, tell me he can't shoot foul shots. Those are at least things based in some factual plane, not some psuedo-psychoanalysis you either have made yourself or are parroting from others who are making guesses to the fact.

I think that is a perfect fine argument based on precedent, I have more examples if you like. Let's go with drafting Adam Morrison before Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay. I'm just saying drafting Drummond ahead of Robinson wouldn't make one a poor GM in this draft. This is a huge crapshoot draft, even moreso than most. I personally would probably draft Robinson (depending on the team) but I wouldn't fault someone from wanting to go after Drummond. I probably would have also drafted Okafor, and that would have been a huge mistake.

Based on their respective bodies of work last year, Fab was the better player. Period. Saying Drummond wasn't happy doesn't matter. When you have a player with those physical skills playing for such an underachieving team, why do you think the light will suddenly go on for him?

I read somewhere in the last day or two that of every college player who defended at least 75 post plays, Drummond had the lowest points-against average by a significant margin

Big man with no big men skills, with no motor. Someone is going to draft him way too high because OMGPOTENTIAL.

Uconnbots in spin mode. As usual.

I read somewhere in the last day or two that of every college player who defended at least 75 post plays, Drummond had the lowest points-against average by a significant margin

I've seen you write nice things about Jim Calhoun and now you present this undocumented propaganda. I'm beginning to wonder about you.

I've seen you write nice things about Jim Calhoun and now you present this undocumented propaganda. I'm beginning to wonder about you.

ESPN Stats and Info tweeted it a few days ago. It was of the 125 players who defended at least 75 post-ups last year. He had the lowest Points Per Possession scored against him.

Big man with no big men skills, with no motor. Someone is going to draft him way too high because OMGPOTENTIAL.

Uconnbots in spin mode. As usual.

So #9 too high?

Don't know that that's any more indicative of Fab's character than, say, showing up for his freshman season overweight and unprepared demonstrates a poor work ethic. To say nothing of what - regardless of what got him suspended - spending the majority of his evenings at bars in a semester marred by academic struggles suggests about his work ethic.

No easy way to make generalizations about Fab's character or drive based on a snippet of his behavior. More reasonable to suggest that he was an important part of his college team but a limited center who will need to improve by leaps and bounds to contribute to an NBA team.
My original post was tongue in cheek. I declined to mention anything about the suspensions. He's got a long way to go physically, but more important, mentally.

I think Fab could possibly play some NBA 4 once he gets use to the physical nature of the NBA. Maybe not in a zone like ours but his footskill and blocking power shows some potential in m2m D packing the paint.

Hes shown a great jump in his conditioning if he ever did that to another degree and learned to get off the floor quicker off a second bounce he could be one of the best defensive NBA fours out there(Birdman comes to mind).

Plus his jumper may continue to round out while his backdown game never developes. And he might show the occasional low post advantage and on the boards as a four instead of a 5 at the next level.

Not predicting or counting on it it but I think with the right teamate next to him at center some will dismiss the idea ignorantly. If widebody guys like Nene or Blair make it as PF's and skinny guys like Warrick can no reason to think Melo couldn't if he shows the lateral movement needed. Keep in mind hes been our best center or PF to take charges in the last ten years and easily.

So #9 too high?

Not really.

Though I thought it was funny when uconnbots universally trashed Boston for taking Fab when they did while lauding Detroit at teh same time. But that's why you're uconnbots I suppose.