Let's Be Clear: $$$$$$$$$$$$$ with ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's Be Clear: $$$$$$$$$$$$$ with ACC

Only 1 OOC game? Well, there goes Rutgers' chance at a bowl.

Lot of contracts are going to have to be broken. I'm sure most of them have at least 2 OOC games booked even if it is Hampton and East Bum St. I guess those couple of top teams rutgirls was going to play will be out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Lot of contracts are going to have to be broken. I'm sure most of them have at least 2 OOC games booked even if it is Hampton and East Bum St. I guess those couple of top teams rutgirls was going to play will be out.

You know what? Rutgers.

Oh dear god.

Greg Auman@gregauman
Big East commissioner Mike Aresco says every conference team will play all 11 others in 2013-14. No fixed cross-division games 1st 2 years.

Only 1 OOC game? Well, there goes Rutgers' chance at a bowl.

They are playing 5 games against the other teams in your division every year, and 3 rotating games against the other division. They're still playing 4 OOC games every year.

Over a two year period in 2013-2014, you will see everybody from the other division once. You will NOT have a fixed cross-division opponent in 2013 & 2014.

And Scarlet Nation wept

Okay, so the Orange Bowl may not have the ACC against a champion from the B1G, SEC, Big12, or PAC 12...of course in the semi rotation it could be two of those conferences in the Orange Bowl-that the ACC owns TV rights too regardless--and ACC champion goes to another bowl if not in the semi-finals.

Now let's discuss the other important/impact issue: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The ACC is part of the new BCS big boy table (the BE etc make-up the Group of 5 that are not at the big boy table). It is estimated that the yearly TV rights for the new BCS is valued at around $500,000,000/yr for next 12 years (thank you ESPN). The top 5 conferences (ACC, B1G, Pac 12, SEC, and Big 12) will share EQUALLY A BASE AMOUNT while the group of 5 will get a smaller share to divide as they see fit among those conferences making up the group of 5...this means take their smaller payout and share it among 5 conferences with 40+ teams---ouch!

My NCState source indicates that what the ACC is looking at its shared base amount to be somewhere between $60-$75 million not counting revenue from the TV rights from Orange Bowl (ACC controls media rights even if a semi final game and an ACC team isnt in) to additional payouts based on academic excellence, # of teams selected in access bowl and the final NC. It is potentially possible that the each of the 14 team ACC may be hit with up to an additional $4,500,000-$6,000,000 per year. That of course does not include take from the Orange Bowl TV media rights which the ACC owns.

Bottom line: If all goes according to thought at this point...the ACC (including the addl game payout from having Notre Dame football play 2-3 games at ACC stadiums (including neutral site games called ACC home games) the $$$$$$$$$$ (minimally per team is projected at):
$25,500,000-$28,000,000/yr per ACC team (14 teams) including the Orange Bowl payout projected at only 50% of the media rights expected to be $55,000,000 or more.
The ACC move appears to have everything that 'Cuse could hope for:
1. Very good academic conference
s loas the $ issue is understood as king we arewinners . I believe winning the $ side is important but so is the winning on the field/court side of the equation.I don't want to be the bottom feeders in any of the glam sports FB,BB or lax.Also give the women their due in the ACC as well.
3. Good football conference--that will get better with these additional dollars
4. More $$$$$$$$ than any of us believed possible.

Discuss!

Like I said in a previous thread...we're getting paid, but the path to a BCS game will be easier as a Big East member, fwiw.
If the BE survives it will be because of quality mangement in the member schools not the conference leadership which was a joke and may continue to be so. Forthem not to have seen forward enough to avoid losing the departed schools would earn them Fs in management 101.Gross was smart enough to see the gold and go for it by getting out when he did or we might be hoping the CUSA would look at us . It didn't come to that fortunately.;)

Exactly!
Let them rot. They will cheer our loses as they occur and tell themselves they are on the road to greatness when they get a 3 star recruit to verbal in their favor. Let them come to the Dome hat in hand!:blah:

OK, but can we at least laugh at their fans?

“It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.”

- Jack Handy

Okay, so the Orange Bowl may not have the ACC against a champion from the B1G, SEC, Big12, or PAC 12...of course in the semi rotation it could be two of those conferences in the Orange Bowl-that the ACC owns TV rights too regardless--and ACC champion goes to another bowl if not in the semi-finals.

Now let's discuss the other important/impact issue: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The ACC is part of the new BCS big boy table (the BE etc make-up the Group of 5 that are not at the big boy table). It is estimated that the yearly TV rights for the new BCS is valued at around $500,000,000/yr for next 12 years (thank you ESPN). The top 5 conferences (ACC, B1G, Pac 12, SEC, and Big 12) will share EQUALLY A BASE AMOUNT while the group of 5 will get a smaller share to divide as they see fit among those conferences making up the group of 5...this means take their smaller payout and share it among 5 conferences with 40+ teams---ouch!

My NCState source indicates that what the ACC is looking at its shared base amount to be somewhere between $60-$75 million not counting revenue from the TV rights from Orange Bowl (ACC controls media rights even if a semi final game and an ACC team isnt in) to additional payouts based on academic excellence, # of teams selected in access bowl and the final NC. It is potentially possible that the each of the 14 team ACC may be hit with up to an additional $4,500,000-$6,000,000 per year. That of course does not include take from the Orange Bowl TV media rights which the ACC owns.

Bottom line: If all goes according to thought at this point...the ACC (including the addl game payout from having Notre Dame football play 2-3 games at ACC stadiums (including neutral site games called ACC home games) the $$$$$$$$$$ (minimally per team is projected at):
$25,500,000-$28,000,000/yr per ACC team (14 teams) including the Orange Bowl payout projected at only 50% of the media rights expected to be $55,000,000 or more.
The ACC move appears to have everything that 'Cuse could hope for:
1. Very good academic conference
2. Best BBall conference
3. Good football conference--that will get better with these additional dollars
4. More $$$$$$$$ than any of us believed possible.

Discuss!

I have a friend who questions the math of the new deal being so high Can someone help me with a line item comparison of existing revenue estimates and the total line items making up the $25,5 to $28 million here?

I see in the post an incremental boost of:

* BCS payout = $4.5 to $6 million
* Orange Bowl media rights = $2 million give or take

So that is $6.5 to $8 million. So is each school getting an estimated $19.5 million for the new ACC TV contract with Notre Dame in the mix?

Thanks.

Cuse and Pitt fans are lucky. But this will not go over well at all with the fanbases at FSU, Clemson, Maryland, Georgia Tech, etc.

This was simply horrible negotiation by Swofford, horrible. First true misstep by him I've seen since the bungled ACC expansion in 2003.

Cheers,
Neil
Yup...can't beleive they settled for that...they basically are starting behind $5-6M per team behind the SEC/B10. I hope ACC#2 gets hooked up with the Peach Bowl and can net $1-2M extra for the ACC.

Yup...can't beleive they settled for that...they basically are starting behind $5-6M per team behind the SEC/B10. I hope ACC#2 gets hooked up with the Peach Bowl and can net $1-2M extra for the ACC.

If no specific accommodations were made to the Pac-12 or Big 12 for a "soft" guaranteed slot, I highly doubt the ACC will get one either.

Cheers,
Neil

Cuse and Pitt fans are lucky. But this will not go over well at all with the fanbases at FSU, Clemson, Maryland, Georgia Tech, etc.

This was simply horrible negotiation by Swofford, horrible. First true misstep by him I've seen since the bungled ACC expansion in 2003.

Cheers,
Neil

Ugh. This is going to fire up the portion of the FSU and Clemson fan bases that want out of the ACC. Ultimately I don't think Clemson ever leaves but FSU is only bidding time.

From day 1 I have questioned the numbers tossed out by some here and the notion that the ACC teams were going to be even close to on par with the others. Great for SU and Pitt from where we were, not so much for the rest.

The ACC just doesn't have the appeal other conferences do. Never have, never will. But as an SU fan, it's all good.

Ugh. This is going to fire up the portion of the FSU and Clemson fan bases that want out of the ACC. Ultimately I don't think Clemson ever leaves but FSU is only bidding time.

The 55 mill number has been out there for months. This isn't going to take them by surprise.

The 55 mill number has been out there for months. This isn't going to take them by surprise.

The split will, especially since a huge deal was made out of the ACC having "sole" rights to the Orange by Swofford himself. The thinking was that an even split is what you do when two conferences share the rights equally, not when one has the "sole" rights.

Cheers,
Neil

Does anyone have a projected annual revenue for each ACC school? The projections in this thread used the $55 million and 50% split so is the estimates of $25.5 to $28 million still what is projected?

Also if anyone has a simple revenue by source projection (ACC TV Contract per school =$X, BCS =$X etc.) that would be appreciated.

Does anyone have a projected annual revenue for each ACC school? The projections in this thread used the $55 million and 50% split so is the estimates of $25.5 to $28 million still what is projected?

Also if anyone has a simple revenue by source projection (ACC TV Contract per school =$X, BCS =$X etc.) that would be appreciated.

This is completely speculative on my part but my understanding is that it would break down as follows:

ACC ESPN contract: $18 mill (maybe a tad more w ND now involved)
ORange bowl: $2 mill (55/2/14 teams)
ESPN BCS deal: this is still TBD dependent upon how much of the cash is given to the big 5 (to split evenly) and how much goes the G5. According to the linked article, the ESPN deal is worth $608 mill/yr, but that number includes the $215 mill allotted for the bowl payouts (80 for rosé, 80 for sugar, 55 for orange). That leaves 393 mill. Is it safe to assume that 200 mill will go to the big 5 to be split evenly? If so, that's 40 mill a conference, which wold mean about $3 million per team.

Bottom line, I can see the number being around 23-25 mill for ACC teams. Less than the other 4 conferences, but light years ahead of what the G5 wll get.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...0-million-per-season-tv-rights-contract-bowls

Well, final numbers will be hard to give you since we don't know yet what the Event $$$ will be and how they will be precisely distributed.

However, I think arbitragegis' post is in the ballpark of between $25 million - $28 million per team. Although I think it will be closer to the lower end in terms of TV and Football playoff $$$ and closer to the higher end when all conference revenue is accounted for (such as non-Event bowls and NCAA unit monies).

Which is great for SU and Pitt. But programs like FSU, Clemson, GT, VT, MD, etc will be looking at SEC and BiG $$$ where the low end is likely going to be higher than the ACC's high end before even taking into account the additional Football event playoff $$$ for additional at-large selections, other bowl revenue, and NCAA units.

What will be, will be.

Cheers,
Neil

This is completely speculative on my part but my understanding is that it would break down as follows:

ACC ESPN contract: $18 mill (maybe a tad more w ND now involved)
ORange bowl: $2 mill (55/2/14 teams)
ESPN BCS deal: this is still TBD dependent upon how much of the cash is given to the big 5 (to split evenly) and how much goes the G5. According to the linked article, the ESPN deal is worth $608 mill/yr, but that number includes the $215 mill allotted for the bowl payouts (80 for rosé, 80 for sugar, 55 for orange). That leaves 393 mill. Is it safe to assume that 200 mill will go to the big 5 to be split evenly? If so, that's 40 mill a conference, which wold mean about $3 million per team.

Bottom line, I can see the number being around 23-25 mill for ACC teams. Less than the other 4 conferences, but light years ahead of what the G5 wll get.

While we can take both enjoyment and some relief from this fact, I think we shouldn't just look back. We need to look ahead as well.

After all, while a member of the Big East, did any of us truly take comfort in the fact that BE $$$ was light years ahead of C-USA $$$?

No, of course not. We knew we weren't getting what the others ahead of us were getting and we knew that made the Big East vulnerable.

And I write this not to suggest that "The Sky is Falling", because it most certainly is not. But it's not all "Heaven on Earth" either. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Which is great for SU and Pitt. But programs like FSU, Clemson, GT, VT, MD, etc will be looking at SEC and BiG $$$ where the low end is likely going to be higher than the ACC's high end before even taking into account the additional Football event playoff $$$ for additional at-large selections, other bowl revenue, and NCAA units.
From our perspective, I will paraphrase the Monty Python sketch dealing with penguins' brains.

If we compare the size of the penguin's brain to that of the man, we see that it is smaller. But if we increase the size of the penguin so that it is the same height as the man, we see that it is still smaller. But, and here's the point, it is bigger than it was.

I actually think that fan support will be the bigger factor in the long run. There is a limiting factor with money - there is only so much you can do before having more money really doesn't matter. We'll still have a competitive disadvantage against the factories given they pack 70K+ into the stadium, versus our more modest numbers.

I guess non-revenue sports could be an issue, but if it comes down to a FSU wanting out because an extra $5M per year would fund a lot of tiddlywinks, well, good for them.

According to McMurphy, the ACC keeps the lions share of the Orange Bowl payout if Nd is the opponent. Does this mean we need to root for ND now?

Yes it has as was the $80m for the other bowls. But the sharing was explained much differently.