1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

Let's be real...

Discussion in 'Syracuse Football Board' started by longislandcuse, Jan 10, 2017.

1. o'sully33

o'sully33 2nd String

Agreed, ACC was the best conference this year.

SEC while still fun to watch has no doubt been on the decline the past few years. I think a lot of it is the head coaching talent has fallen off. Petrino, Urban, Les & Richt (hot seat for couple years so hands tied), Franklin, Spurrier when he was still trying, etc. Those guys can run high quality programs and have all seen their respective schools take a dip after they bounced/when they were on their way out. Their replacements for the most part aren't going to or haven't been able to sustain success.

I wonder how much Bama's run has hurt the rest of the conference too. If I'm a big time coach why would I opt in to go against that machine every year when there are plenty of other good programs in other P5 conferences?

It's funny how Ole Miss has given Bama so many problems lately. They run tons of vertical routes and throw jump balls for chunk plays to their big strong receivers and Bama for whatever reason is awful defending those (see Mike Williams last night).

Crusty and longislandcuse like this.
  2. Hoo's That

Hoo's That All Conference

Totally agree. There were some hits by the Bama D that bordered on being flat-out dirty play. I half-seriously said on our board last night that it was part of the Big XII's getting revenge on the ACC for not imploding.

Crusty and RMH44 like this.
  3. Chip

Chip Living Legend

It's kind of comforting to see that even Alabama has depth issues.

By the 4th quarter, those guys were tired, and Saban/Pruitt didn't have any answers.

It's what Dino ball will do to teams in the 4th quarter of games. Pitt game was a preview.

Dino ball just needs to get a few more hundred stops on D. And I think they will when they get more experienced.

4. bcubs9497

bcubs9497 All Conference

And some more third down conversions, and fewer false starts, and a better blocking OL.

TheCusian likes this.
  5. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Living Legend

fun game to watch.

enjoyed seeing WRs actually catch the ball, I didn't think that was possible after what I witnessed on sunday.

ACC football needs to be taken seriously.

it was a long draught for Championships '99-'13, but Clemson legitimized it here in '16.

a 3rd and 4th team will need to step up for real, but its good to see where theyre heading.

6. Chip

Chip Living Legend

Ok, settle down, a little harmless humor. No need to take it so personally. We're all swimming in the same boat here.

Doc5120 likes this.
  7. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Living Legend

theres a guy on D whom the coaches think could make the league as an OL...

8. bcubs9497

bcubs9497 All Conference

I know...

9. longislandcuse

longislandcuse Living Legend

Need someone from the other division to become a power. Hopefully Richt does that with Miami.

10. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

I don't know--I thought that the Alabama defense was completely legit. To be honest, I think that the game hinged on a couple of catches that Mike Williams made--uber athletic plays that nobody else on the field would have been able to make. Those plays extended drives and set up TDs. Most teams / players don't make those plays, so I don't view it as a breakdown on Alabama's part of them getting exposed--sometimes great players just make great plays, and no defense is impregnable.

Hats off to Clemson, they deserve all the credit in the world.

chakka3421, HOFCeluck and Finwad32 like this.
  11. longislandcuse

I'm definitely not saying Bama isn't the best defense. I'm just saying that the chasm between there defense and say, Clemson's, isn't that far off.

Bama played two high powered offenses all year. One scored 35 and the other, 43.

Finwad32 likes this.
  12. Finwad32

Finwad32 All Conference

There's as much talent on the 'Bama D as anywhere in the Country. That being said, that doesn't make them an All-Time Defense.

The way everyone felated them last night, you'd have thought Mike Singletary was directing the GD '85 Bears around.

Most talent in the country, not one of best defenses of all time.

RF2044 likes this.
  13. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

Hey--I was the one yesterday in the prediction thread who expected Clemson to rise to the occasion. I knew that they could hang with them on both sides of the ball, and I liked Watson vs. Bama's defense more than Hurts against Clemson's. Also heap in Clemson having been in the NC game last year, and this year not fazed by the hype / the moment too big, and I figured that they had a great chance.

Just think about how the score might have been different if Clemson didn't give Bama a short field by running wide and failing to convert that early 4th and 1.

CuseFaninVT likes this.
  14. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Living Legend

i was busy yesterday (I know, hindsight 20/20) but I was in on Clemson too. I figured last year gave them a 'Giants-pats in 07' moment of clarity and proved to them they could win.

RF2044 likes this.
  15. BuffOrange

BuffOrange Starter

When the team with the defense wins, "defense win 'ships".
    When the team with the offense wins, "meh that defense was never that great".

16. longislandcuse

It was great. Welcome to football in 2017 where Offense >>>>>>> Defense.

All we're saying is that they may have been overhyped due to the weak offenses they played all year. Overhyped doesn't mean "not great", it just means "not the greatest".

17. RMH44

RMH44 All American

Details, details...

bcubs9497 likes this.
  18. Hoo's That

Hoo's That All Conference

The quick way to accomplish an upgrade to the Coastal is to swap VPI for Louavul.

19. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Living Legend

ive been trying to figure out a way to type that, best I could come up with is lullvil.

Hoo's That likes this.
  20. Moontan

Moontan All American

Beany Cook always pointed to a certain defense from 1959 as the best. :)