Let's find out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's find out

Should this be Shafer's last year?

• Yes- fire him now or as soon as the season is over

Votes: 131 69.3%
  • No, give him another year and see if things get better

Votes: 58 30.7%

• Total voters
If they aren't willing to spend the money then they need to Adios. Seriously. This isn't the minor leagues anymore. If they don't start spending money on football then they can kiss fan support goodbye, including mine.

Agreed, you can count me in on that as well. Been a fan my whole life and would continue to watch but I wouldn't spend another dime on tickets or anything else.

Seriously?? After the last 3 games you really think things maybe better for the next 3...not.

I made no predictions for the last 3 games. I don't expect better, but I expect that our AD will will wait til the end of the season before pulling a trigger one way or the other. It ain't over ti the fat lady sings.

And out of those 20 how many will we be directly competing with? 4? Maybe 5? Doesn't matter how many openings there are, it matters where the openings are.
Agree. Out of the 20 or so openings SU isn't talking to the same guys USC is talking too. Or South Carolina is talking too. Or Miami. Or VT. Or even Maryland who has Under Armor money behind them. Those schools will be talking to NFL coaches and the big name college coaches at other programs.

SU will be competing with Illinois and Rutgers and those types of schools. Which there are only a few with openings on that level.

If they aren't willing to spend the money then they need to Adios. Seriously. This isn't the minor leagues anymore. If they don't start spending money on football then they can kiss fan support goodbye, including mine.

They just need to hire a good coach, they are out there. People getting carried away with having to outspend people. We will be fine

And out of those 20 how many will we be directly competing with? 4? Maybe 5? Doesn't matter how many openings there are, it matters where the openings are.

Not disagreeing with you but if the number grows to 30 or more, we stand a chance to not get a top candidate.

There are already some pretty good jobs open and as CL said earlier, more will open.

Maryland
Va Tech
South Carolina
USC
Minnesota
Miami
Illinois
UCF

Where is SU in that pecking order so far and what are we willing to pay for a HC as well as budget for assistants?

If we are going to pay anywhere near where we are now, we will be last and shouldn't bother firing anyone.

Yes, both USC's and Miami will be talking to NFL coaches and the like. We can hire the best of the up and coming coaches from college. Let's get a guy who can coach well(Marrone) and a guy who can and/or just likes recruiting in general(Shafer).

Should be a third choice as well.

C - Keep him if the BOT isn't willing to spend the money on a real HC in hopes that he learns from this year.
This x1000 - what the heck is the point of even trying to hire another coach on the cheap? Go ahead and try it again and I'll finally give up after the new HC's second or third mediocre year.

I am just tired of all the losing and not even close losing . Something is so wrong when one of the few bright spots on the team is still in at end of a losing effort with a history of head injuries. As a person he is a great guy or was until 4 1/2 minutes to go in last game . N

I am just tired of all the losing and not even close losing . Something is so wrong when one of the few bright spots on the team is still in at end of a losing effort with a history of head injuries. As a person he is a great guy or was until 4 1/2 minutes to go in last game . N

the way he's handled - or mishandled - Dungey seems to be turning a lot of people against him at a critical point in his tenure.

albanyorange said:
There's that "history of head injuries" talk again. What history? The neck injury from CMU? The non-existent concussion diagnosed by Anish Shroff in the Pitt game that the team physician cleared him to play right after? Or the shoulder/collarbone injury from the Louisville game (which, by the way, is what you are condemning SS over)? He does seem to take a lot of hard hits, but this "history" has never been confirmed by anyone associated with the athletic department, who I might add is very quick to disqualify athletes for repeated head injuries.

the way he's handled - or mishandled - Dungey seems to be turning a lot of people against him at a critical point in his tenure.

Which I find interesting because there were some very pro-Shafer people on here until the end of the game. Some people I expected would want him back no matter how the rest of the season went but seemingly changed their mind based on what I thought was a judgement call. Just interesting from my perspective.

qdawgg said:
Which I find interesting because there were some very pro-Shafer people on here until the end of the game. Some people I expected would want him back no matter how the rest of the season went but seemingly changed their mind based on what I thought was a judgement call. Just interesting from my perspective.

I was wavering going in and lost it midway due to inept play on o and d. That particular decision didn't bother me at all.

End of the first half mismanagement against FSU was it for me.

I'd prefer ED wasn't in there but can see both sides. I'm still not sure how I feel about the decision on it's own.

I see two big problems with the logic of firing Shafer:

The team lacks experienced depth at key positions. The coaching staff is responsible for recruiting players to fill that depth, but Shafer has only had two full recruiting years. He was hired a month before signing day in 2013. Thus, the lack of junior and senior depth is mostly not his fault. If that were still to be true one year and especially two years from now, then it would definitely be his fault.

This is a well coached team. I’m not seeing a team that’s quit. I am seeing a team badly outmatched in key positions where the starters are freshman against quality opponents with experienced players who know how to exploit the mismatches. Typically if you’re so thin of experienced, quality depth that you have to start freshmen, you’re almost always going to get bad results against quality competition until that freshmen depth develop in future years. Yet despite that, we almost beat UVA and Pitt while starting a freshman QB. Both teams with far greater experienced depth. In fact we lead most of the way against both of these teams.

If the players quit on the coaches between now and the end of the year that could spell Shafer’s dismissal. Otherwise, I think SU will keep Shafer for at least another year because the arguments for dismissal are pretty weak. The bad coaching argument doesn’t hold water because you’re dealing with too many freshman starters who are going to make mistakes. The ‘he can’t recruit’ argument doesn’t hold water either because he’s only had two years to recruit as HC.

The team lacks experienced depth at key positions. The coaching staff is responsible for recruiting players to fill that depth, but Shafer has only had two full recruiting years. He was hired a month before signing day in 2013. Thus, the lack of junior and senior depth is mostly not his fault. If that were still to be true one year and especially two years from now, then it would definitely be his fault.

This is a well coached team. I’m not seeing a team that’s quit. I am seeing a team badly outmatched in key positions where the starters are freshman against quality opponents with experienced players who know how to exploit the mismatches. Typically if you’re so thin of experienced, quality depth that you have to start freshmen, you’re almost always going to get bad results against quality competition until that freshmen depth develop in future years. Yet despite that, we almost beat UVA and Pitt while starting a freshman QB. Both teams with far greater experienced depth. In fact we lead most of the way against both of these teams.

If the players quit on the coaches between now and the end of the year that could spell Shafer’s dismissal. Otherwise, I think SU will keep Shafer for at least another year because the arguments for dismissal are pretty weak. The bad coaching argument doesn’t hold water because you’re dealing with too many freshman starters who are going to make mistakes. The ‘he can’t recruit’ argument doesn’t hold water either because he’s only had two years to recruit as HC.
I think he is brought back but a couple of things
Marrone had the team in a bowl game with only two recruiting classes and a seemingly bare cupboard after the talent he was left with only win like 10 games in four years.
Pitt and uva with uva in particular are not very good teams and pitt was home game add to that the team jut not ready to play after a week off for the south Florida game

I don't think calling a fake field goal that 90 percent of the world saw coming, I don't think leaving your qb in a game your down 30 points in for the reason you think you can make a big comeback in, a remark he repeated not just after the game but a couple days later are examples of a well coached team. Let's not get into the questionable timeouts and clock management and punting decisons at the end of half and forth quarters.

I could live with him being back with changes in strength coach, Oline coach ( the loss of Pat Perles was a huge loss) either a change in strategy or coaching in the Db.s and most of all a change in overall offensive mindset to use the dome as a weapon.

If those are not under consideration then I think he needs to go

I'm of a wait and see approach through the end of the year, remember Dick McPherson was 12-20-1 after his first three seasons (and it really wasn't until season 8 that they got past middling to average). If the team plays like the last three games like the last three quarters of Louisville then he probably has to go, if they compete and win a game or two it doesn't make sense to fire him, without giving him a chance to have a team with (in theory) 18 of 22 starters returning (based on this weeks depth chart).

A few other things to bear in mind, and maybe this was already talked about. 1.) If the rumors about closing the dome after basketball for renovations are true, why would you can Shafer now, let him have the brutal on the road season then let him go, and bring in a big name coach to "open the new dome". 2.) If you want an "established" coach, which one of them would want to come to a college that fired a guy after three years, not really giving him a chance to recruit/develop his own team (understanding that Syracuse probably will not pay the new head coach enough to look past that) ? 3.) There will be transfers, defections, decommitments when it seems like we finally may be gaining some traction in terms of talent, and while this is the weakest excuse starting from square one concerns me almost as much as having another lousy year (which I think next years team will step up regardless of who coaches it).

mgurtz79 said:
I'm of a wait and see approach through the end of the year, remember Dick McPherson was 12-20-1 after his first three seasons (and it really wasn't until season 8 that they got past middling to average). If the team plays like the last three games like the last three quarters of Louisville then he probably has to go, if they compete and win a game or two it doesn't make sense to fire him, without giving him a chance to have a team with (in theory) 18 of 22 starters returning (based on this weeks depth chart). A few other things to bear in mind, and maybe this was already talked about. 1.) If the rumors about closing the dome after basketball for renovations are true, why would you can Shafer now, let him have the brutal on the road season then let him go, and bring in a big name coach to "open the new dome". 2.) If you want an "established" coach, which one of them would want to come to a college that fired a guy after three years, not really giving him a chance to recruit/develop his own team (understanding that Syracuse probably will not pay the new head coach enough to look past that) ? 3.) There will be transfers, defections, decommitments when it seems like we finally may be gaining some traction in terms of talent, and while this is the weakest excuse starting from square one concerns me almost as much as having another lousy year (which I think next years team will step up regardless of who coaches it).

Again to clarify: Mac was 6-5 in year three. Then won 6, 7, 5 and 11. Good coaches show progress in year 3.

I'm of a wait and see approach through the end of the year, remember Dick McPherson was 12-20-1 after his first three seasons (and it really wasn't until season 8 that they got past middling to average).
Who is Dick McPherson? ;)

That is just not valid for the offense. We only have 2 freshmen starting on offense. Louisville and Pitt are younger as is Wake Forest who is improving. The O Line is very experienced.

At some point we have to look at the facts on the field. Our offensive scheme simply doesn't work. It is time to go hire an experienced staff with proven record of success.

Go get Dino Babers and light up the dome.

y7kvOYLzas6Ag.gif

mgurtz79 said:
I'm of a wait and see approach through the end of the year, remember Dick McPherson was 12-20-1 after his first three seasons (and it really wasn't until season 8 that they got past middling to average). If the team plays like the last three games like the last three quarters of Louisville then he probably has to go, if they compete and win a game or two it doesn't make sense to fire him, without giving him a chance to have a team with (in theory) 18 of 22 starters returning (based on this weeks depth chart). A few other things to bear in mind, and maybe this was already talked about. 1.) If the rumors about closing the dome after basketball for renovations are true, why would you can Shafer now, let him have the brutal on the road season then let him go, and bring in a big name coach to "open the new dome". 2.) If you want an "established" coach, which one of them would want to come to a college that fired a guy after three years, not really giving him a chance to recruit/develop his own team (understanding that Syracuse probably will not pay the new head coach enough to look past that) ? 3.) There will be transfers, defections, decommitments when it seems like we finally may be gaining some traction in terms of talent, and while this is the weakest excuse starting from square one concerns me almost as much as having another lousy year (which I think next years team will step up regardless of who coaches it).

I'd prefer Babers take a year away from the dome to install his O ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom