Let's play TBT GM 2021... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's play TBT GM 2021...

Just bring the entire 08-09 team back. Flynn-Devendorf-Harris-Big *ick Rick-Arinze. Jardine, Rautins, Kristof bench

The scoops and Rautins of the world time has passed. If they haven’t played by now they never will. They are getting up there in age like DNic.

The guys we had this year have had lots of success in Europe and some in the NBA. White and Triche come to mind specifically. They just didn’t play well.

Lydon and McCullough really would have helped.

Knowing Grant, Hughes and Waiters will be on professional rosters...

Michael Carter Williams/Triche/Ennis
Devo/Battle
Brissett/Dirty/G
McCullough and Lydon.

The scoops and Rautins of the world time has passed. If they haven’t played by now they never will. They are getting up there in age like DNic.

The guys we had this year have had lots of success in Europe and some in the NBA. White and Triche come to mind specifically. They just didn’t play well.

Lydon and McCullough really would have helped.
Triche really disappointed me with his play, especially in the second game. Couldn't finish at the rim, was too hesitant to shoot the three.

All of the guys let their bad shooting get in their heads, making it worse. Except Devo, he's an assassin.

Also, I picture Scoop as about 275 right now, eating a cheesesteak.

Triche really disappointed me with his play, especially in the second game. Couldn't finish at the rim, was too hesitant to shoot the three.

All of the guys let their bad shooting get in their heads, making it worse. Except Devo, he's an assassin.

All fair points, but it’s funny seeing other guys think they could create a better roster. These are the best guys we have not in the NBA still playing besides the dropouts. The shooting was abysmal. I thought White and Triche would have dominated based on recent play professionally.

Knowing Grant, Hughes and Waiters will be on professional rosters...

Michael Carter Williams/Triche/Ennis
Devo/Battle
Brissett/Dirty/G
McCullough and Lydon.

You lost me at MCW. He’s an NBA guy who’s playing well right now. Let’s keep those guys there and hopefully Brissett makes it too.

All fair points, but it’s funny seeing other guys think they could create a better roster. These are the best guys we have not in the NBA still playing besides the dropouts. The shooting was abysmal. I thought White and Triche would have dominated based on recent play professionally.
Yeah, I would have really liked to see how the original team with Rico and McCullough played. Less Dont'e would have really helped. So many empty trips all around with guys jacking up an early 3. Don't get me wrong, I personally love to jack up the early 3, but I'm 51 and only have so many shots left in my body.

You lost me at MCW. He’s an NBA guy who’s playing well right now. Let’s keep those guys there and hopefully Brissett makes it too.

Exactly. TBT is fun and I hope the guys do well. But let's not hope our guys flame out in the NBA just so they can play in this thing. I posted this in the H0T Takes thread but Duke has 24 alums and UNC has 14 in the NBA and the results on the court show it. We need more guys NBA caliber to get the program back where we want it, not TBT caliber. Like I said, I hope the guys do well, but let's not be like PItt celebrating the CBI championship. All due respect to jordville who I love as a poster, so don't take this the wrong way.

Last edited:
Exactly. TBT is fun and I hope the guys do well. But let's not hope our guys flame out in the NBA just so they can play in this thing. I posted this in the H0T Takes thread but Duke has 24 alums and UNC has 14 in the NBA and the results on the court show it. We need more guys NBA caliber to get the program back where we want it, not TBT caliber. Like I said, I hope the guys do well, but let's not be like PItt celebrating the CBI championship. All due respect to jordville who I love as a poster, so don't take this the wrong way.
None taken. I always want our guys to do well professionally (NBA preferably ;)) first and foremost. I want to see our guys make it big and earn the best living they can. That also helps in recruiting and the overall Syracuse brand. I thought I was clear in the original post about who was eligible and not. I wanted a big picture of all of our players that could potentially be available for TBT (and in good fun after a disappointing exit). LGO! :)

None taken. I always want our guys to do well professionally (NBA preferably ;)) first and foremost. I want to see our guys make it big and earn the best living they can. That also helps in recruiting and the overall Syracuse brand. I thought I was clear in the original post about who was eligible and not. I wanted a big picture of all of our players that could potentially be available for TBT (and in good fun after a disappointing exit). LGO! :)

Exactly! I knew where you were coming from and I appreciate the thoughts.

Here is the pool of Cuse players dating back to our championship team listed by age. I have listed all major Cuse players and included players still in the NBA (they are ineligible and in bold, so for this exercise you can't select them) and also in the G-League (GL is eligble). There are obviously names on this overall list that wouldn't make a TBT roster, but I didn't want to leave anyone out.

22 years old: Elijah Hughes, Oshae Brissett, Tyus Battle (GL)
23 years old: Frank Howard
24 years old: Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson, BJ Johnson
25 years old: Paschal Chukwu, Tyler Roberson (GL), Chris McCullough, Tyler Ennis (GL)
26 years old: John Gillon, Jerami Grant
27 years old: Andrew White III (GL), Dajuan Coleman, Trevor Cooney
28 years old: Michael Gbinijie, Rakeem Christmas, CJ Fair, Michael Carter-Williams, Dion Waiters
29 years old: Baye Moussa Keita, Brandon Triche
30 years old: James Southerland, Mookie Jones
31 years old: Scoop Jardine, Kris Joseph, Rick Jackson, Jonny Flynn
32 years old: Arinze Onuaku, Donte Greene
33 years old: Andy Rautins, Wesley Johnson, Paul Harris, Eric Devendorf
35 years old: Kristof Ongenaet, Darryl Watkins, Terrence Roberts, Demetris Nichols
36 years old: Matt Gorman, Gerry McNamara, Carmelo Anthony
37 years old: Josh Pace, Billy Edelin, Craig Forth
38 years old: Hakim Warrick
40 years old: Kueth Duany, Jeremy McNeil

Jeremy McNeil is 40!!

Okay, I am going to diverge from many of the players listed, because I don't think that the concept around which we're structuring these teams is the right approach for this type of tournament, and the opposition we face. I offer the teams that have won and how they play as empirical "evidence" of the type of style that is successful for this type of competition.

We've had different compositions of teams, and they haven't all been like this, but the last few seem to be heavy on three point shooting, weak on ball handling, and weak in terms of both creating off of the bounce and executing half court sets. I think this is exactly the OPPOSITE of what we should be emphasizing. Namely:
  • Players who can get out and run / finish
  • Less emphasis on "college" positions, more on small ball
  • Guys who can rebound effectively, despite being smaller
  • Less one-on-one in half court sets, when nothing else is working, better team passing
  • Guys who CAN hit three point shots, but that isn't their main [and in some cases, "only"] contribution
I'm going to keep it entirely in-house, with players who have actually participated in BA in the past or agreed to play in recent years but might not have been able to for various reasons. In other words, realistic "gets" for Belby, based upon recent history. All that said, here's who I'd like to see on the roster:

Guards:
  • Tyler Ennis -- born to play in this type of tournament, he'd give us the lead guard we've lacked
  • Brandon Triche -- more effective off the ball, despite not being a knock down shooter. Plus defender
  • John Gillon -- scorer and quick in the open floor

Forwards:
  • Michael Gbinije -- verastile, can push the ball, pass, drive, and shoot
  • Paul Harris -- was in contention last year, strong for size on the glass, can push it and take it to the hole
  • CJ Fair -- underwhelmed last time, but will thrive playing more up-tempo
  • Andrew White -- not versatile, but designated shooter, design set plays for when he subs in

Centers:
  • Paschal Chukwu -- perfect defender whether we play zone or man, runs all day, doesn't need the ball, will deter shots in transition
  • Tyler Lydon -- position versatility, good rebounder / shot blocker, shooter

I also think we need to ditch the zone and try to play more up tempo. My starting five would be Ennis / Triche / Harris / Gbinije / Chukwu -- four guys who can drive and dish. Pressure the ball more, try to force turnovers and take advantage of a roster of guys who can push it / get out in transition. Play smaller but faster. Position versatility with the subs enables you to use different combinations, depending on match-ups and whatever is working any given night. Have the three point shot not be the focus of the team's offensive concept, but the outcome of open looks after good ball movement and / or penetration into the lane for kick-outs. Play guys who can actually defend [for the most part], and don't worry about playing zone despite it's correlation with our program. Better rebounding. And when all else fails, better shot blocking anchoring the back end.

Last edited:
Yeah lot of our guys still play professionally but so do many on other teams too.

Gosh, I thought our big men were the weak link. Yes, Triche couldn't get around the.corner on a lot of his drives, but he is a gamer.

I love Eric. What heart. He should be one of our assistants. He gets our culture better than anybody.

Cool. Who gets canned?

Red, Griff, or GMac?

Tyler Ennis-John Gillon
Andy Rautins-Michael Gbinijie-Malachi Richardson
Wes Johnson-Tyler Lydon-Donte Greene
Ramen Christmas-Paschal Chukwu

OK, so I know it will never happen, but as I watch TBT and when he was a borderline assistant, I kind of always felt like Eric Devendorf embodies a certain mental toughness that I personally feel is the foundation of our program. This has always been a Blue Collar, chip on your shoulder town, going back to 1950s basketball here. That, 'punch you in the mouth' quality is what the Detroit Bad Boy Pistons had, and so many other great teams in history. They had "swag".

ED is our swaggiest player, or certainly in the All Swag starting lineup. I love that guy. I wish that he and Derrick Coleman and Billy Owens and a bunch of these real legends could come in here in the preseason and kind of have a mini-camp to kick off the season, a mix of rah-rah stories of past glories, and some pick-up ball and some of these guys showing the young guys the "dark arts" of getting position and making the bread-and-butter moves they used when they were in their prime.

Add Arinze and Rick Jackson, Rak, Andy Rautins, Scoop, etc. So many guys love the program, and could really add something to advance the skills and mental game of some of these kids. Like the story of Coleman yelling at Bergen during the 96 run to stop trying to make layups and dunk the damn ball! And Todd played really well at key times after that.

I love having the legends around our program so much. With kids passing through the program in just a couple years, maybe it becomes a good way to keep communicating the culture when you have so much turnover year to year.

Last edited:
Cool. Who gets canned?

Red, Griff, or GMac?

It's not "who gets canned". Some guys might choose to move on at some point. It's the nature of things.

Yeah, I would have really liked to see how the original team with Rico and McCullough played. Less Dont'e would have really helped. So many empty trips all around with guys jacking up an early 3. Don't get me wrong, I personally love to jack up the early 3, but I'm 51 and only have so many shots left in my body.

Yeah, older guys know that the early 3 is something to save for when you're tired. LOL

These guys were taking early threes by the big men on the first half dozen possessions of the game. If you have size and athleticism, you pound people inside until they show they can stop you. Basketball 101. Blackwell really can't assert authority around these guys. Dontae is a nice guy, but doesn't deserve any kind of prominent role on the team. He's just not good.

I don't know happened with Lydon and McCullough, but that would have made this team a contender. Maybe one more guard, too, with younger legs.

Yeah, older guys know that the early 3 is something to save for when you're tired. LOL

These guys were taking early threes by the big men on the first half dozen possessions of the game. If you have size and athleticism, you pound people inside until they show they can stop you. Basketball 101. Blackwell really can't assert authority around these guys. Dontae is a nice guy, but doesn't deserve any kind of prominent role on the team. He's just not good.

I don't know happened with Lydon and McCullough, but that would have made this team a contender. Maybe one more guard, too, with younger legs.
Lydon supposedly picked up an injury working out.
McCullough withdrew to grieve after a close friend was shot and killed in the Bronx.

Didn't play much, didn't make much of an impact.
I think that is part of our problem too. We seem to give the older "legends" more opportunity than the young guys. Fill the roster with young guys who can attack the rim and pursue the ball off the glass. Tempo.