Lets run the ball this year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lets run the ball this year

Fast and physical are two different things. Tempo is not the reason why we can't run block. Some of the most physical lines play tempo. Slowing down is not going to make us more physical. Having better technique, strength and toughness will. When you combine that with tempo, you are wearing the defense out even more.

Last edited:
Tucker, Adams, Howard, are big physical backs. We havnt had a running back room like this in over 10 years. Assuming the offensive line stays healthy and is coached up which they will be i hope that we pound the ball. I dont care about playing fast. I dont want lineman that are measured by how fast they can run to line of scrimmage between plays. I want to see guys maul the other team. Want to see the physicality back. No more gimmick crap just hard nosed ball.
You know this is 2021?

Agreed. The other mistake being made in this thread is not fully understanding what DB is trying to accomplish. He is trying to force teams to have to defend the width and depth of the field. DB, similar to Baylor, is hoping to punish teams with the inside power zone whenever they play with a light box, and then attack the outside with bubble screens and quick slants when they load the box. The vertical routes will be a counter to the safties coming down and/or 1:1 match ups (no safety help).

It's both a speed/finesse/tempo and power concept. The obvious problem has been the inability to run the power run game even against a 5 man box.
Bingo

Agreed. The other mistake being made in this thread is not fully understanding what DB is trying to accomplish. He is trying to force teams to have to defend the width and depth of the field. DB, similar to Baylor, is hoping to punish teams with the inside power zone whenever they play with a light box, and then attack the outside with bubble screens and quick slants when they load the box. The vertical routes will be a counter to the safties coming down and/or 1:1 match ups (no safety help).

It's both a speed/finesse/tempo and power concept. The obvious problem has been the inability to run the power run game even against a 5 man box.
So run blocking was definitely an issue since we didn't seem to win those 5 men in the box battles, but its doubly hard when the D can stack the box when they wanted because of poor pass blocking skills and little in the way of deep threats. Compounding the problem, is not having any physical vertical threats on the field. Taj can convert some when he just beat his man and get open but isn't winning any catches with tight coverage. Teams didn't have to fear deep plays much. I'm hopeful the line will improve a fair amount but i'm still concerned we don't have a #1 receiver on the roster ready to step up yet and spread the defense deep. Better blocking will help there but i'm not sure that will be enough. I like Taj but he is more of a #2 receiver to me or a guy who would be great in the slot. I think he would look a bit better with giving the QB more time but this offense needs an athletic, fast receiver on the outside that is also physical. I like Queeley as a young player but i'm not sure he can fit that role either. Really wish we could find a transfer receiver to fit that mold. We had a stretch of years where we always got a receiver to step up in that role on the outside. Amba, Ish, Custis then Trishton Jackson. Every year that was a concern going into the season and somebody stepped up. Even though Jackson wasn't the tallest, he was fast enough, physical enough and had a large enough catch radius to get the job done. Speaking of this, what was the reason again Cameron Jordan had left the program? Not sure if he was the answer there but he could have been a possability.

Last edited:
Fast and physical are two different things. Tempo is not the reason why we can't run block. Some of the most physical lines play tempo. Slowing down is not going to make us more physical. Having better technique, strength and toughness will. When you combine that with tempo, you are wearing the defense out even more.
Toughness and technique. Almost sounds like something that can be coached...

One drawback with tempo, is that line calls can be easier to miss. Of course, if guys aren't getting them, that can be rectified.

So run blocking was definitely an issue since we didn't seem to win those 5 men in the box battles, but its doubly hard when the D can stack the box when they wanted because of poor pass blocking skills and little in the way of deep threats. Compounding the problem, is not having any physical vertical threats on the field. Taj can convert some when he just beat his man and get open but isn't winning any catches with tight coverage. Teams didn't have to fear deep plays much. I'm hopeful the line will improve a fair amount but i'm still concerned we don't have a #1 receiver on the roster ready to step up yet and spread the defense deep. Better blocking will help there but i'm not sure that will be enough. I like Taj but he is more of a #2 receiver to me or a guy who would be great in the slot. I think he would look a bit better with giving the QB more time but this offense needs an athletic, fast receiver on the outside that is also physical. I like Queeley as a young player but i'm not sure he can fit that role either. Really wish we could find a transfer receiver to fit that mold. We had a stretch of years where we always got a receiver to step up in that role on the outside. Amba, Ish, Custis then Trishton Jackson. Every year that was a concern going into the season and somebody stepped up. Even though Jackson wasn't the tallest, he was fast enough, physical enough and had a large enough catch radius to get the job done. Speaking of this, what was the reason again Cameron Jordan had left the program? Not sure if he was the answer there but he could have been a possability.
Taj is very good deep. He’s fine.

Our OL was so bad, teams didn‘t need to load the box or bring a lot of blitzes. WR looked worse because of a lack of run game or pass blocking. I’m bullish on the OL improving and all of the skill positions looking suddenly more competent

Taj is very good deep. He’s fine.

Our OL was so bad, teams didn‘t need to load the box or bring a lot of blitzes. WR looked worse because of a lack of run game or pass blocking. I’m bullish on the OL improving and all of the skill positions looking suddenly more competent
I agree with your reasons on why the skill positions will look better and I agree Taj will too, but I still don’t think he has too much ability to be physical enough to catch some passes in traffic. He’s a good player, I just
think that’s a weakness in his game and that does hurt his deep threat ability.

I agree with your reasons on why the skill positions will look better and I agree Taj will too, but I still don’t think he has too much ability to be physical enough to catch some passes in traffic. He’s a good player, I just
think that’s a weakness in his game and that does hurt his deep threat ability.
I think he’s not as good in contested situations. But he’s plenty fast. I bet he was top of the scouting report last season

We definitely have the talent, bodies to do so! The offensive line At the very least will be better than last season but beyond that idk. But there is potential

Taj isn't easy to tackle and he's not afraid to make grabs across the middle. That's enough physicality for me

If we have a lot of quality running backs and are scratching around looking for reliable receivers, it might be a time to incorporate a two back set into the package.
Dino has done it before. It would especially work great if one of those RBs was a good receiver out of the backfield.

I would love to see Dino employ some two back sets. Tucker and Adams would be special. Add the Shredder and teams would be forced to stuff the box. The most talented position group on this team is arguably the RB group. I hope that the staff takes advantage of it.

1617480831108.png

I would love to see Dino employ some two back sets. Tucker and Adams would be special. Add the Shredder and teams would be forced to stuff the box. The most talented position group on this team is arguably the RB group. I hope that the staff takes advantage of it.
Kind of backwards, at least relative to DB's primary scheme. He is trying to punish teams with the inside power run game out of 1 back sets when they play with a light box. "Forcing" teams to "stuff the box" by playing 2 back sets would encourage use of the quick passing game.

Unless the OL has come a long, long way I don't think you will see us line up in 2 back sets and try to blow people off the line.

Kind of backwards, at least relative to DB's primary scheme. He is trying to punish teams with the inside power run game out of 1 back sets when they play with a light box. "Forcing" teams to "stuff the box" by playing 2 back sets would encourage use of the quick passing game.

Unless the OL has come a long, long way I don't think you will see us line up in 2 back sets and try to blow people off the line.
Exactly. We are struggling running the ball with light boxes. Bringing extra defenders in the box will make it even harder to run block. We are not that good at RB. Plus having a extra RB in the set and relying on them to block LB’s will be a disaster.

Last edited:
Belief with little evidence. I believe we will run the ball very effectively this year. Our line and rbs have talent and they will be coached up and confident because of the coaching of M. Schmidt. I'm all for being multiple and stretching the field but there is something extremely satisfying about running the ball when the opposing team's defense can't stop it. We've been on the receiving end of that far too often recently.

Belief with little evidence. I believe we will run the ball very effectively this year. Our line and rbs have talent and they will be coached up and confident because of the coaching of M. Schmidt. I'm all for being multiple and stretching the field but there is something extremely satisfying about running the ball when the opposing team's defense can't stop it. We've been on the receiving end of that far too often recently.
Agree

You would have to change your whole scheme to keep two RB’s in the game. If you are gonna change your scheme and philosophy the RB’s better be studs. It’s not the personnel it’s the O line blocking itself that needs to be fixed. Until that improves no scheme will work.

Last edited:
You would have to change your whole scheme to keep two RB’s in the game. If you are gonna chance your scheme and philosophy the RB’s better be studs. It’s not the personnel it’s the O line blocking it itself that needs to be fixed. Until that improves no scheme will work.
Didn't Dino use some two RB sets at Bowling Green?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom