Lets run the ball this year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Lets run the ball this year

Didn't Dino use some two RB sets at Bowling Green?
Two running backs in the backfield? Not sure if Ive seen that in college football in general. Just the service academies and Paul Johnson at GTech.

Two running backs in the backfield? Not sure if Ive seen that in college football in general. Just the service academies and Paul Johnson at GTech.
I thought I saw somebody post video of it a couple years ago. It wasn't traditional lead back or anything. It was still shotgun spread but with two backs flanking the qb, if I remember correctly.

I thought I saw somebody post video of it a couple years ago. It wasn't traditional lead back or anything. It was still shotgun spread but with two backs flanking the qb, if I remember correctly.
Yes. It’s possible they could have ran that set. I just don’t know how much you can run out of that. One running back would have to block for the other. It would help if the QB was a run threat as well.

Yes. It’s possible they could have ran that set. I just don’t know how much you can run out of that. One running back would have to block for the other. It would help if the QB was a run threat as well.
Oh sure. I wasn't thinking they would only run out of that. It would only work if at least one of those guys could be a receiver out of the backfield. I was thinking if putting a second RB in got more talent on the field than an inside WR or TE and/or if it allowed you to keep the defense guessing, they could do it. It would also depend what you have at WR. Do we have two inside receivers we like?

My two cents is we have a strong RB group. We have an Oline coach who has been able to run the ball. I think we need to become a much tougher and physical team on O. Im not saying we discard Dinos O as obviously that isn't going to happen. But if you want to create confidence in an Oline that has been a complete joke the last 2 seasons. Shake it up a little. Let them play downhill.

Oh sure. I wasn't thinking they would only run out of that. It would only work if at least one of those guys could be a receiver out of the backfield. I was thinking if putting a second RB in got more talent on the field than an inside WR or TE and/or if it allowed you to keep the defense guessing, they could do it. It would also depend what you have at WR. Do we have two inside receivers we like?
It’s not just about the performance of players. Formations and personnel dictates defensive alignments. It allows you to run certain things in your scheme. For example, a TE gives you the ability to run a variety of run plays. You can run to or away from the TE based on how the defense aligns. You can run counter, power, inside/outside zone to or away from the TE. You can run counter with the TE as the second puller . You can’t run those plays with a another running back. Having two running backs in a spread scheme limits the type of run plays you can run. I guess doing it some times won’t hurt but I don’t see how it benefits a team long term. More spread teams would be running 2 RB sets if it was something worth doing. Bottom line, you need to run a different system if you want multiple runners in the backfield.

I'm very pleased that Schmidt is emphasizing an aggressive run block scheme. The strength of our offense is the RB group. Run the ball and force teams to defend it. Set a physical tone and build some confidence. Go fast if you want but pound the ball early in the season and play to our strength.

I'm very pleased that Schmidt is emphasizing an aggressive run block scheme. The strength of our offense is the RB group. Run the ball and force teams to defend it. Set a physical tone and build some confidence. Go fast if you want but pound the ball early in the season and play to our strength.
In those short clips of the scrimmage I saw a lot of under center hand offs. I know Im forming a opinion based on a small sample but it was nice to see that.

Syracuse is a better team when it features an aggressive running attack. We have three proven high calibre ACC backs, and Lutz has plenty of potential too. Hopefully Hough’s allowed to develop and, if ready, take on the bowling ball roll that Jarveon occupied his freshman year to take advantage of tired D’s

Having a solid running game [whether it's produced by being able to line up and impose our will or by inducing teams into nickel / dime packages to defend against the threat of the pass, and then gouging them with inside runs] is going to go a LONG way towards helping whichever QB we roll with.

Having a solid running game [whether it's produced by being able to line up and impose our will or by inducing teams into nickel / dime packages to defend against the threat of the pass, and then gouging them with inside runs] is going to go a LONG way towards helping whichever QB we roll with.
Good point. Many ways to skin a cat.

Based on Dinos presser I fully expect SU to focus on the run. It's our most talented position group and with the ol emphasis on downhill blocking I think that our O is going to be different this year.
Also with Elmore coming out wanting to block for multiple 1000 yard rushers.

Bump. Also as my friend had heard Shrader opened eyes during camp.
Im glad Dino is playing to our strengths. Im also sure that he is going to ride both QBs this season depending on the opponent.
With Liberty we had to play ball control and field position. It was our only chance.
Lets keep mixing it up but as long as we keep pounding the ball we can remain in games.

Just because a D stacks and dares you to throw doesn't mean you need to.
Run the ball!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom