Let's talk about our former brethren. | Syracusefan.com

Let's talk about our former brethren.

longtimefan

Hall of Fame
What BB hoops schools do you want to continue to play? How often? Where?

As part of a "leave-early" deal, we may have to play schools that we would prefer not to. Who could you abide, if forced to? Who do you want to avoid at all costs?

St. John's at MSG... Need to keep playing there

Alternate home/away vs. Gtown once a year

Nova every other year?

St. Johns @ MSG every year.
Gtown and Nova alternating one home one away every season.

St. Johns @ MSG every year.
Gtown and Nova alternating one home one away every season.

That's what I meant to say.

Need to keep our presence in NYC, be able to get NYC area recruits to MSG to see us in their neighborhood.

Also keep G'town and Nova rivalries alive, let D.C./Philly alums get a local game

That's what I meant to say.

Need to keep our presence in NYC, be able to get NYC area recruits to MSG to see us in their neighborhood.

Also keep G'town and Nova rivalries alive, let D.C./Philly alums get a local game

It make the most sense to me and even 8-10 years from now Gtown and Nova will still be really good mid majors ;-)

My perfect scenario:

St. Johns every year - all at MSG (no games at the Dome)
Villanova every year - 1 year in Philly, the next year at MSG and rotate on that schedule
Georgetown every year - Alternate home courts
UConn (if not in ACC) - 1 year in CT, the next year at the Dome, the next year at MSG and rotate on that schedule

Flat out - we need games in Philly it is a high priority recruiting area that will be placed at risk by the move to the ACC. I also place a high value on getting us into MSG for at least 3 - 4 games per season.

Now, given the general weakness of the ACC compared to the current Big East, I wonder if JB would actually schedule like this. It is a much more difficult non conference slate than we ever see and also pre-season NIT type tournaments must be accounted for as well. We will need at least one more big opponent in non-con just because of the generally weaker ACC schedule but 5 to 6 majors per year?? I'm not so sure.

For me we play St. Johns at MSG every year, and Georgetown every year, home and home. I actually think this move to the ACC will be the best thing that happens to the SU - G'Town rivalry, as it will rekindle some old hate.

The rest we dont need to play any more often then we play any other OOC team.

SU can get better games at MSG than St. John's.

The only two I want to see OOC on a regular basis are Georgetown and Villanova. And with us playing Maryland in the ACC, that's a nice exposure between the Philly and DC corridor.

Cheers,
Neil

I think I agree with home and homes with three teams... Nova, Georgetown, and St. Johns. Obviously, they would need to be football home and homes, but I would love if we could continue these series as long as possible.

I say this, while expecting UConn to 1) Fade away with Calhoun leaving and 2) Join the ACC in a year or two.

Most of us think UConn isn't a great asset to the ACC, but what has turned my thinking a bit (and my own on changing in general) is the Eastern Conference.

Mass, NY, Conn, Penn, Mary, Some middle Atlantic states I hate, and Florida all in one conference. The only thing that sucks, really, is having to call it Vitale Land.

If we sucked in FSU, Maryland, UNC, Duke, BC, VMI, Georgia Tech and Miami into a 16 team Big East, we would have been thrilled. If we then subbed out Rutgers, and South Florida for a couple more ACC schools, we would have been thrilled. Even if we called it the Big Atlantic East.

We might be ok

Selfishly, I would like to play at Providence (location closest to me). But I can live without it. Need to play SJ and GT. Frankly, I could take or leave Nova.

Under the assumption that UCon will eventually be in the ACC, Gtown and John's are musts IMO, and I'd even say that Nova should be in that category as well. I'd like to continue to see games against all the charter members, even PC and SHU. The latter two fall into semi-cupcake territory anyway, I'd rather see them than say, Morgan St and Drexel from last year's schedule. I realize that those schools would want a return visit, but when you consider that it's a group of 5 opponents, it could probably be set up where Cuse is going on the road for only 2 of these games per season; that really shouldn't be a stretch for a major D1 program.

Need an annual pre-season tournament: old-timers reunion of BE bball rivals @ MSG. 8 teams play till there is one left standing. "Cuse, UConn, G-town, Nova, St Johns, the Hall, Providence, and one more - either Louisville or Rutgers.

The reality is that we're still going to be in a tough conference and we're not going to play a long list of Big East caliber teams each season in our out of conference schedule.

I suspect we'll try to schedule Georgetown (because of the history). We'll want to be in MSG, so we'll schedule St. John's, or another NYC school, or just play a random made-for-TV game in MSG. All of this will be in addition to frequently playing a preseason tourney in NYC.

I would like to keep playing Nova, but I wonder if that becomes a casualty to reality, as a Nova series probably falls behind Georgetown and St. John's in terms of Syracuse's agenda.

No way we make a habit of playing Providence, SHU, and the like. They're too good to be a standard preseason cupcake, and don't bring the juice for the 2-3 premium OOC games we'll want to play.

My perfect scenario:

Flat out - we need games in Philly it is a high priority recruiting area that will be placed at risk by the move to the ACC. I also place a high value on getting us into MSG for at least 3 - 4 games per season.

true statement. We're well-established in that area, let's not waste that goodwill.

The reality is that we're still going to be in a tough conference and we're not going to play a long list of Big East caliber teams each season in our out of conference schedule.

I suspect we'll try to schedule Georgetown (because of the history). We'll want to be in MSG, so we'll schedule St. John's, or another NYC school, or just play a random made-for-TV game in MSG. All of this will be in addition to frequently playing a preseason tourney in NYC.

I would like to keep playing Nova, but I wonder if that becomes a casualty to reality, as a Nova series probably falls behind Georgetown and St. John's in terms of Syracuse's agenda.

No way we make a habit of playing Providence, SHU, and the like. They're too good to be a standard preseason cupcake, and don't bring the juice for the 2-3 premium OOC games we'll want to play.

Bingo.

We play at MSG a bunch anyway. Like JB said, the CvC, Preseason NIT are there. Georgetown selfishly will be nice, but we'll see.

Beyond that there's no point to play anyone else. ACC hoops will give us enough to deal with.

I like the St. Johns - SU MSG feud where the two schools fight it out on the court each year to call the location "their turf". SU, obviously, having had the better end of this deal for a while now :)

Thinking longer term - If UCONN leaves for ACC and off chance ND as well and BE doesn't replace them with great - not good but great - basketball teams I can see Nova and G-town become a top 30-40 school vs a top 10-20. IMO there is a better chance that Wright is coaching BC in 3 yrs then Nova and that will hurt them. The Big East teams got a lot of the recruits they did because these schools were playing Pitt/Cuse/Uconn. Without them the BE teams like G-town & Nova & St. Johns fall and the appeal of those rivalries lessons. I'm not saying G-town turns into Colgate but I find it hard to beleive they will stay where they are now - I'd be really dissapointed if they didn't turn into 'lock' wins as the years go by. Just a hunch.

Neutral observer here, but I've always enjoyed watching Syracuse play against 'nova. I know that your two biggest rivals are Georgetown and UConn,but something about those 'Cuse vs Nova matchups always made things interesting.

We should throw in Rutgers into our cupcake December every year, too. They fit in nicely with La Salle and Iona.

My perfect scenario:

St. Johns every year - all at MSG (no games at the Dome)
Villanova every year - 1 year in Philly, the next year at MSG and rotate on that schedule
Georgetown every year - Alternate home courts
UConn (if not in ACC) - 1 year in CT, the next year at the Dome, the next year at MSG and rotate on that schedule

Now, given the general weakness of the ACC compared to the current Big East, I wonder if JB would actually schedule like this. It is a much more difficult non conference slate than we ever see and also pre-season NIT type tournaments must be accounted for as well. We will need at least one more big opponent in non-con just because of the generally weaker ACC schedule but 5 to 6 majors per year?? I'm not so sure.
There is no way JB is going to play all three of GTown, Nova and STJ every year in addition to the ACC schedule. More like one each year. He's not kicking cupcakes like Colgate, Cornell, and the Little Sisters of the Poor off the annual schedule.

Thinking longer term - If UCONN leaves for ACC and off chance ND as well and BE doesn't replace them with great - not good but great - basketball teams I can see Nova and G-town become a top 30-40 school vs a top 10-20. IMO there is a better chance that Wright is coaching BC in 3 yrs then Nova and that will hurt them. The Big East teams got a lot of the recruits they did because these schools were playing Pitt/Cuse/Uconn. Without them the BE teams like G-town & Nova & St. Johns fall and the appeal of those rivalries lessons. I'm not saying G-town turns into Colgate but I find it hard to beleive they will stay where they are now - I'd be really dissapointed if they didn't turn into 'lock' wins as the years go by. Just a hunch.

Wright would be a hot commodity should he hit the open market, though to date he had indicated that he loved Nova and didn't want to leave. If he does take a new job, it's gonna be at a hell of a lot better program than BC.

Wright would be a hot commodity should he hit the open market, though to date he had indicated that he loved Nova and didn't want to leave. If he does take a new job, it's gonna be at a hell of a lot better program than BC.
Bingo, definitely not BC. I'd expect him to be at a Texas or Florida-like school, not Nova. Maybe he takes over Indiana once the Hoosiers realize that they've sucked hard under Crean. But then theres also Brad Stevens. Maybe there aren't any jobs that will open up in the next few years that will be that big of a step up from Nova. Philly has enough talent to thrive on for his duration. Not many schools can say that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom