Letter to PSU Football player | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Letter to PSU Football player

village-of-the-damned.jpg

This guy should be used as a tackling dummy during practice.

I find this letter ridiculous, but I find it really humorous because it's typical, and not as vehemently intended as some on here would believe. I believe Mr. Peterson is honestly not trying to be racist. I don't think we should take it as that (even though he mentions the kid's dreadlocks).

This is just a man from an older generation fed up with how a lot of young people in current generations dress, look and present themselves. And there are many amongst older generation Americans that feel this way. Dave Peterson is just the man who needs to write to everyone to express it.

I find this letter ridiculous, but I find it really humorous because it's typical, and not as vehemently intended as some on here would believe. I believe Mr. Peterson is honestly not trying to be racist. I don't think we should take it as that (even though he mentions the kid's dreadlocks).

This is just a man from an older generation fed up with how a lot of young people in current generations dress, look and present themselves. And there are many amongst older generation Americans that feel this way. Dave Peterson is just the man who needs to write to everyone to express it.

I'm disgusted by college students' appearance, too. I don't want to be at a restaurant for Sunday brunch sitting near some slob with slippers and pajama pants on. And objectively they look ridiculous in their chunky white Fila sneakers.

But that's clothing, a somewhat less personal choice. I'm not going to stoop to criticizing their hair, especially when it's as loaded a topic as black kids' hair. That guy is tone-deaf under the most charitable interpretation.

Strongly condemn? Message of intolerance? All right, I guess. I think a simple "our values do not align with the writer, nor do we think that the contents of the letter were appropriate or speak for the University as a whole. We are sorry to hear that a member of our University Family has taken it upon himself to represent us in this manner. That is not the PSU way."

I will reiterate: not everyone is a racist, although that's what we are consistently led to believe

I'm disgusted by college students' appearance, too. I don't want to be at a restaurant for Sunday brunch sitting near some slob with slippers and pajama pants on. And objectively they look ridiculous in their chunky white Fila sneakers.

But that's clothing, a somewhat less personal choice. I'm not going to stoop to criticizing their hair, especially when it's as loaded a topic as black kids' hair. That guy is tone-deaf under the most charitable interpretation.

Maybe you should write a letter...

Yep. I dont know enough about him to declare him a racist. Obviously there is some implicit bias and a lack of cultural sensitivity in there, and just the act of lecturing a student and total stranger is uncouth to me. I'd prefer to just hope that he is ignorant.
There was at least one white player on the roster with long hair. I'd have to imagine many others have tats. Wonder if they received a letter too?

Last edited:

Just because someone isn't trying to be racist doesn't mean they aren't.

I was recruiting at a career fair at Syracuse a couple weeks ago, when it was a nice warm day. Driving in I saw six female students with incredibly short short that showed about half of each cheek walking to class.

I'm getting older, but not only was I OK with how college kids dress, I was wishing I was back in college the rest of that day.

Why does it go to racism? Have none of you never come in contact with a smelly white kid with dreads?
I would just like to see the coaches get the guys cleaned up and not looking like Florida State and Miami guys," Petersen told the Tribune-Democrat’s Chip Minemyer. Petersen added that it was “not the intent” to make any racial or cultural statements, however, Shelton asked “how is this not racist" in his Twitter post sharing the letter.

Pretty sure that whoever wrote the letter still owns slaves.

He is just mad because the PSU marching band isn't smart enough to do a script Pennsylvania and dot the i.

Blame Canada Dave!

I dunno, if that's the worst thing that happens at Penn State then that's not so bad.

Sarc, sarc, sarc, sarc, sarc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom