Letting 'em score | Syracusefan.com

Letting 'em score

SWC75

Bored Historian
I remember when the Packers let the Broncos score in the final minute in SB 32. That didn't work, either, as the Packers didn't score. But was it the wrong strategy? You never know what can happen with every snap. There could be a turnover. The Patriots got into the Super Bowl thanks to a missed chip shot field goal.

I guess I understand the strategy and I'm sure the odds favor it. But simply olaying a play like that gives one a sour taste in the mouth.

Didn't Kentucky allow us to score under similar circumstances in the 1999 Music City Bowl?

Saying it didn't work is akin to saying intentionally fouling didn't work after you lose. Usually you're going to lose when you're in a position where you have to foul. NE was in a bad spot the moment nyg picked up that last 1st down.

I remember when the Packers let the Broncos score in the final minute in SB 32. That didn't work, either, as the Packers didn't score. But was it the wrong strategy? You never know what can happen with every snap. There could be a turnover. The Patriots got into the Super Bowl thanks to a missed chip shot field goal.

I guess I understand the strategy and I'm sure the odds favor it. But simply olaying a play like that gives one a sour taste in the mouth.

I'm actually surprised they did that for two reasons. 1) Giants were running the ball with Bradshaw who already put the ball on the ground once and 2) Tynes had dinged one FG already.

It's a tough call, but I don't think I would have done it with that little time left. If Brady had another 45 seconds or so, then I think it would have been smart.

Holy cherrypicking? For every Romo/Cundiff moment there are a zillion made 25yd FG's (which aren't on youtube because they're so routine) and/or game winning drives with a minute left. The Giants that year signed their long-snapper off the street like 2 days earlier. Earnest Byner, I mean, really? The opponent having the ball on the 8 down 7pts is just a tad different situation.

Holy cherrypicking? For every Romo/Cundiff moment there are a zillion made 25yd FG's (which aren't on youtube because they're so routine) and/or game winning drives with a minute left. The Giants that year signed their long-snapper off the street like 2 days earlier. Earnest Byner, I mean, really? The opponent having the ball on the 8 down 7pts is just a tad different situation.

The defintion of cherry picking is "to cite examples of what you are talking about".

Tell you what, it almost worked. That tipped ball on the last play wasn't very far away from Gronk's fingertips.

It was the right decision. I'd rather take my chances with the ball in Tom Brady's hand with a minute left (and one timeout) needing a touchdown that giving him the ball back with 12 or so seconds with no timeouts ending a field goal.

The idea that allowing a team to score when it gives you the best opportunity to win would leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth is absurd. You must think that football is like figure skating or snowboarding - where style points are awarded. It is not.

It was the right decision. I'd rather take my chances with the ball in Tom Brady's hand with a minute left (and one timeout) needing a touchdown that giving him the ball back with 12 or so seconds with no timeouts ending a field goal.

The idea that allowing a team to score when it gives you the best opportunity to win would leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth is absurd. You must think that football is like figure skating or snowboarding - where style points are awarded. It is not.

The image of one team trying not to score and the other trying to drag them into the end zone is absurd by any definition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom