Lettr to the Editor: SU displayed poor sportsmanship vs. WVU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lettr to the Editor: SU displayed poor sportsmanship vs. WVU

Just what would this letter writer have to say about our board's fun new icon: couchburn

Oh the humanity!

I remember that. They focused in on the girl/guy couple and the girl went for the girl sitting on the other side of the guy. Brought down the house.
It literally might have been the loudest the dome had been for that game. Great moment in American history.

I remember that. They focused in on the girl/guy couple and the girl went for the girl sitting on the other side of the guy. Brought down the house.

Unfortunately i do not remember that one - i was there though. (unfortunately).

Kiss cam moment i remember though - at a bball game. Guy from my office on camera with the girl he brought to the game - kicker was that it wasn't his wife. Needless to say the office was a buzz for a while.

Anyone thats been to a game in Morgantown have any experiences to contridict that persons view of their superior "professionalism, grace, and class"?

I mean we all saw the LSU game shirts making fun of Katrina, and heard about the LSU fans getting beat on after having stuff thrown at their car.

Sticks and stones (and batteries)...

My friend married a girl from Morgantown, when they were dating he went down to meet her family. They all attended the West Virginia-Syracuse game. He was warned by his future father-in-law not to wear any Syracuse apparel to the game. When my friend got to the stadium he found out why. Not only did people throw batteries at the Syracuse players as they were entering and exiting the field but they taunted and harassed Syracuse fans brave enough to wear the school colors.

How about the West Virginia tradition of peeing in a bottle and dousing opposing players from the safety of the stands?

Friday night I entered the Carrier Dome through gate B. As I was approaching the West Virginia section there were mobs of Mountaineer fans taunting Syracuse fans in an aggressive fashion. I was surprised no fights broke out. I stayed near the far wall as a precaution to avoid getting caught up in the nonsense.

I did not approve of the overrated chant near the end of the game because it always diminishes what our kids do to the opponent. I did not hear or see any of the other things that were alleged to have occurred. I would just say to M. Koresko of Oswego, sometimes what comes around goes around, your fans are no angels.

My friend married a girl from Morgantown, when they were dating he went down to meet her family. They all attended the West Virginia-Syracuse game. He was warned by his future father-in-law not to wear any Syracuse apparel to the game. When my friend got to the stadium he found out why. Not only did people throw batteries at the Syracuse players as they were entering and exiting the field but they taunted and harassed Syracuse fans brave enough to wear the school colors.

How about the West Virginia tradition of peeing in a bottle and dousing opposing players from the safety of the stands?

Friday night I entered the Carrier Dome through gate B. As I was approaching the West Virginia section there were mobs of Mountaineer fans taunting Syracuse fans in an aggressive fashion. I was surprised no fights broke out. I stayed near the far wall as a precaution to avoid getting caught up in the nonsense.

I did not approve of the overrated chant near the end of the game because it always diminishes what our kids do to the opponent. I did not hear or see any of the other things that were alleged to have occurred. I would just say to M. Koresko of Oswego, sometimes what comes around goes around, your fans are no angels.

The whole bus ride from Skytop half our bus was West Virginia fans. They were in SU fans faces chanting and yelling in an aggressive manner. I was surprised a brawl didn't break out on the bus.

I can almost understand being offended by the hey song. Being offended by dueling banjos is a sign that the writer needs to take a breath. But being offended because we showed WV fans on the video board? Really? I bet this person would have complained if we HADN'T shown WV fans on the board that we were giving preferential treatment.

Absolutely absurd.

The funniest one is getting upset over showing the dismayed WVU fans on the jumbotron. ESPN showed them quite a bit too (extremely HD unfriendly bunch that they were). This is such a cruel world!
I doubt that there were any "mayed" WVU fans in the Dome on Friday. If they couldn't be shown, he'd be griping about how no 'Neers fans got any camera time.

We had a bunch of wvu fans in our section. Both sides gave digs and at the end of the game we wished them a safe trip home. That's after overrated chants( which I agree is lame) and warm up the couch cheers ( creative). They laughed at the dueling banjos. Some people need to complain about everything.

We had a bunch of wvu fans in our section. Both sides gave digs and at the end of the game we wished them a safe trip home. That's after overrated chants( which I agree is lame) and warm up the couch cheers ( creative). They laughed at the dueling banjos. Some people need to complain about everything.
Yeah...good thing CNY'ers never complain about anything. couchburn

Wasn't an Elected Official of the City of Syracuse on kiss cam this past year? A woman? I remember her being right on the baseline, or behind the benches with a beer and got into quite the embrace with her husband. A few CNY boys grew up that cold night.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

There a great deal of loutish behavior and chanted profanity at college and even high school sporting events. Syracuse isn't in the same universe as Maryland, where the school has been moved to address the problem by the President lecturing them and threatening to remove rowdy students / fans from the stands.

But you can't have it both ways. Given that this behavior is offensive to some, you can't cheer it or excuse it and then whine about Dome attendance.

One person isn't going to ruin Dome attendance. Over the years I have been to games at WVU x2, Pitt, Rutgers x2, UConn, PSU x2, BC x2, etc etc and SU isn't any different than any place else. Maybe the video board thing was too much but it was funny. People singing the hey song isnt as bad as people physically harassing other fans which happens at other places (and has happened at SU). The guy acted like this is the only place that does anything. I don't think he's ever been to a major college football game to tell you the truth. He claims he was from WV. there's no way he's been to a game if he is complaining about stuff like this.

Mr. Koresko I am horrified by your former mayor, and registered level two sex offender John Gosek.

Anyone thats been to a game in Morgantown have any experiences to contridict that persons view of their superior "professionalism, grace, and class"?

I mean we all saw the LSU game shirts making fun of Katrina, and heard about the LSU fans getting beat on after having stuff thrown at their car.

Sticks and stones (and batteries)...

I have been to a game at WVU and was shouted at and hilariously called "white trash" This guy can suck it.

One person isn't going to ruin Dome attendance. Over the years I have been to games at WVU x2, Pitt, Rutgers x2, UConn, PSU x2, BC x2, etc etc and SU isn't any different than any place else. Maybe the video board thing was too much but it was funny. People singing the hey song isnt as bad as people physically harassing other fans which happens at other places (and has happened at SU). The guy acted like this is the only place that does anything. I don't think he's ever been to a major college football game to tell you the truth. He claims he was from WV. there's no way he's been to a game if he is complaining about stuff like this.

I agree with everything you said above. But none of it addresses the point I am (inartfully) trying to make.

Have you ever been to a country or a town or a hotel or restaurant, where the population or the employees have figured it out that without the tourists or guests the whole thing --- along with their livelihood --- falls apart? These people become genuinely interested in your having a good experience and coming back and/or telling your friends.

How's that apply to the Dome?

Well, if the denizens of this board and the true believers in the Dome were really interested in getting as many people into the Dome as possible they just might say to themselves, "Is there anything in our behavior or attitudes --- or the behavior of others --- that is causing attendance to be less than it could be?"

I'll guarantee you that there are many people that won't show up because they don't want their kids to hear "You suck". People are going to do what they are going to do. But, if this boorish behavior is OK with you ... then please spare me the complaints over the size of the crowd.

In the past three years, I have had the rare privilege of attending games at Auburn, Vanderbilt and Arkansas, all three against SEC opponents. Guess what I didn't hear.

I'll guarantee you that there are many people that won't show up because they don't want their kids to hear "You suck". People are going to do what they are going to do. But, if this boorish behavior is OK with you ... then please spare me the complaints over the size of the crowd.

You can't guarantee that. You are just speculating.

Sorry I don't agree because I don't think it is "boorish" behavior and our crowd isn't any more or less rowdy than it was in the 90's when we drew 47-49K. I don't think the hey some or saying you suck impacts attendance one iota. Heck, even though the school made the band stop, but not the fans, from saying "big " when introducing the opponents, I don't think that ever hurt attendance either.

I have been to a game at WVU and was shouted at and hilariously called "white trash" This guy can suck it.

The first time I went to WVU, the fans were great and bent over backwards to be nice. But that was because the week before the national media took them to task for tossing trash cans off the 3rd deck onto players and fans after the game. Think it was Miami. But the 2nd time I went, they were drunk aholes.

The band may have to rethink its 2014 halftime show, tentatively titled, "Dust in the Wind: A Tribute to Miner's Lung."

This made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

In the past three years, I have had the rare privilege of attending games at Auburn, Vanderbilt and Arkansas, all three against SEC opponents. Guess what I didn't hear.

Really? I'm actually surprised because I don't think I've ever been to a sporting event on any level in any stadium where I didn't hear at least one person tell an opposing player how much they suck.

Fans like this one have the right to choose not to show up if they believe it will taint their children or something like that, but I've always felt that children learn most of these things SOMEWHERE, usually before their parents become concerned with them hearing it.

I interned with the Syracuse Chiefs, have been to SU games in almost every sport, and have been to plenty of stadiums around the country...maybe it's just me, but I think "You suck!" is pretty tame.

I've been to more than a few professional and college venues across all sports, and the Dome is basically like the Magic Kingdom when it comes to how opposing fans are treated.

This dude should put on a #12 Pats jersey, head on down I-90 to a Bills game, and see how "mortified" he is at his treatment.

I was at the dome against northwestern with two female northwestern alums and me wearing a northwestern shirt over ;/my Syracuse shirt. (lost a bet, but now she has to wear an SU shirt at the dome next year) I got a lot of good natured ribbing but both my friends said they were harassed in the ladies room. I thought that was hilarious.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I interned with the Syracuse Chiefs, have been to SU games in almost every sport, and have been to plenty of stadiums around the country...maybe it's just me, but I think "You suck!" is pretty tame.

That's because everybody in Syracuse is used to the Chiefs sucking. ;)

I wonder if this guy was in the Dome in 2010 when WVU beat Calipari and UK?

The WV fans were less than cordial.

Then again, so was everyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom