Liberty Skull Session | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Liberty Skull Session

Buckshot Calvert is a helluva name
Is it short for

We will be their Super Bowl.
They still are a G5 team like maybe 3 years removed from being FCS. This is a team like UConn. No point in losing or being a close game

I listened to the Cover 3 podcast last night. Interesting that LV has our win/loss over/under at 5. I'm so jaded after 20 years or so (other than last year) of futility.

While I predict 10-2 with my heart - it's very easy to see games flipping on us. Especially with a less mobile QB and an OL trying to gel.

Historically - we underperform on the road and on grass. MD will likely be a pickem and on the road. Fla State will likely be better than last year - and on the road. Potentially another pick 'em. At NC State - possibly we'll be a 'dog. I could go on.

Also - teams will be up for us this year. We aren't the plucky underdog anymore. So yes - I'll be nervous each week (other than W.Mich and Holy Cross) including the game at Liberty.

They have a few (NFL potential) players. They are better than Yukon and Rutgirls. They are probably on the same level as MTSU/UNT/UAB. We should win but you never know.
Do you have an idea who?

yeah, Freeze is a good coach(and a classic hypocrite) but remember it is his first game as their HC, and there is always a learning curve for a team no matter what. Also remember that we are a much better football team then they are.

Remember the movie The Skulls?

It was pretty entertaining. Made in the late 90s. My guess is it wouldn't hold up well.

Went and saw it with a girl that was a friend. Was too dense to realize she was into me. Probably should have made out with her instead of watching the movie.

Reconnected with her on Facebook a few years back. She's a promo model now.

Life, man. It's big.

Exactly but us coming in to Lynchburg has set them up for more P5 schools.

There's some real talent on that team, that said I'm not worrying unless the Auburn transfer qb gets the waiver to play right away and then that's cause for the potentialconcern of a closer game than any of us would like.

I listened to the Cover 3 podcast last night. Interesting that LV has our win/loss over/under at 5. I'm so jaded after 20 years or so (other than last year) of futility.

While I predict 10-2 with my heart - it's very easy to see games flipping on us. Especially with a less mobile QB and an OL trying to gel.

Historically - we underperform on the road and on grass. MD will likely be a pickem and on the road. Fla State will likely be better than last year - and on the road. Potentially another pick 'em. At NC State - possibly we'll be a 'dog. I could go on.

Also - teams will be up for us this year. We aren't the plucky underdog anymore. So yes - I'll be nervous each week (other than W.Mich and Holy Cross) including the game at Liberty.

While it opened at 5 it was bet up almost to immediately 7.5 where it currently sits. One of the Vegas guys I follow said it was easily the most off base O/U on the board. FWIW

There's some real talent on that team, that said I'm not worrying unless the Auburn transfer qb gets the waiver to play right away and then that's cause for the potentialconcern of a closer game than any of us would like.

The Auburn QB did almost nothing while he was there, not saying he can't or won't make a big impact at Liberty but I wouldn't be losing sleep if he was eligible for this game, he appears to have a long way to go.

Ok 18 points, not 21-24. Are you expecting a dog fight?

I don't think any SU fan expects SU to lose this game or for it to be a dogfight but these types of games can be hard to get a read on. Fresh faces on both sides of the ball, road game for the 1st game of the year, Road team playing probably the biggest game in their short D1 history etc etc.

As for this game clearly SU is the more talented squad with far less questions then a Liberty squad whose defense was at times embarrassingly bad last season. That said its still the first game for an offense on the road replacing essentially a 4 year starting QB, its top WR and 3 high end OL. I have little concern about this offense over the long haul with so many weapons and Devito showing what he could do in limited PT last year but I don't think it would be crazy if there was some kinks to work out especially on the road in Devito's first ever start.

Defensively were running a bit blind with Freeze being in his inaugural year and it being unclear who starts at QB and RB for Liberty at what exactly they will try and run offensively. From a secondary and pass rush standpoint its hard not to think SU had an enormous advantage especially with their being some concerns about Liberty's OL and their WR depth outside of Golden-Gandy who seems like a 2nd day NFL draft pick. Our question marks are really at DT and LB where Liberty is sure to try and attack us.

I expect SU to win and hopefully win handily but as good as we were last year (and we looked really good at times) were still a team that is just starting to experience being a top 25 squad and the expectations that come with it. Personally I hope to see the SU defense dominate and the offense really look to attack with our depth of players and what should be an outstanding run game when you look at all the talent we have with Adams, Neal, Howard etc etc. That said I also wouldn't be shocked if this is a much closer game then we hope for if we come out a bit flat.

I don't think any SU fan expects SU to lose this game or for it to be a dogfight but these types of games can be hard to get a read on. Fresh faces on both sides of the ball, road game for the 1st game of the year, Road team playing probably the biggest game in their short D1 history etc etc.

As for this game clearly SU is the more talented squad with far less questions then a Liberty squad whose defense was at times embarrassingly bad last season. That said its still the first game for an offense on the road replacing essentially a 4 year starting QB, its top WR and 3 high end OL. I have little concern about this offense over the long haul with so many weapons and Devito showing what he could do in limited PT last year but I don't think it would be crazy if there was some kinks to work out especially on the road in Devito's first ever start.

Defensively were running a bit blind with Freeze being in his inaugural year and it being unclear who starts at QB and RB for Liberty at what exactly they will try and run offensively. From a secondary and pass rush standpoint its hard not to think SU had an enormous advantage especially with their being some concerns about Liberty's OL and their WR depth outside of Golden-Gandy who seems like a 2nd day NFL draft pick. Our question marks are really at DT and LB where Liberty is sure to try and attack us.

I expect SU to win and hopefully win handily but as good as we were last year (and we looked really good at times) were still a team that is just starting to experience being a top 25 squad and the expectations that come with it. Personally I hope to see the SU defense dominate and the offense really look to attack with our depth of players and what should be an outstanding run game when you look at all the talent we have with Adams, Neal, Howard etc etc. That said I also wouldn't be shocked if this is a much closer game then we hope for if we come out a bit flat.

Good post. I think we'll see a dominant Orange D and slow to get going Orange O. It will feel worse than it is in the 1st half, then we'll see the O get clicking as TD and Dino figure out some halftime adjustments.