Liberty Skull Session | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Liberty Skull Session

Good post. I think we'll see a dominant Orange D and slow to get going Orange O. It will feel worse than it is in the 1st half, then we'll see the O get clicking as TD and Dino figure out some halftime adjustments.

Ya I think were in agreement there, assuming the D can avoid the injury bug the rest of the pre-season I think they have the chance to really a good unit and make a big impact in the first two games. DT is a bit of a concern but hopefully we can maneuver a bit there and hang on until Mckinley is back or some of the young guys are ready. I think LB should be OK though I wish Guthrie had another year of eligibility, man he was unbelievable last year. My biggest concern for a game like this beyond a slow start is that SU gets down early due to a fluke turnover or a special teams gaffe or something and they start pressing a bit and we find ourselves in a fight we weren't prepared for. Babers will have them ready but its never easy starting the season on the road with a new QB, would have preferred like Bees noted that this game be at home.

Syracuse is only favored by 17.5.
I would expect we’ll need a quarter or a halftime to size up liberty’s packages since we have very little tape on them. Expect to pull away in the second half to a comfortable win but would not be surprised to see liberty break a couple long plays to keep it close until we get settled in.

Ya I think were in agreement there, assuming the D can avoid the injury bug the rest of the pre-season I think they have the chance to really a good unit and make a big impact in the first two games. DT is a bit of a concern but hopefully we can maneuver a bit there and hang on until Mckinley is back or some of the young guys are ready. I think LB should be OK though I wish Guthrie had another year of eligibility, man he was unbelievable last year. My biggest concern for a game like this beyond a slow start is that SU gets down early due to a fluke turnover or a special teams gaffe or something and they start pressing a bit and we find ourselves in a fight we weren't prepared for. Babers will have them ready but its never easy starting the season on the road with a new QB, would have preferred like Bees noted that this game be at home.

Guthrie was a beast. I am encouraged by the mid-season improvements at LB last year. A sign of good coaching - they really shored up the unit after the Pitt game. Shy was important too. I'm a fan of the talent we have there - and Armstrong has a lot of experience.

They still are a G5 team like maybe 3 years removed from being FCS. This is a team like UConn. No point in losing or being a close game

I'll preface by saying Dino and Greg are world's apart

But this game has some parallels to when we played at Yukon in 2005. We were their Super Bowl too.

I think we win but those players for Liberty are solid. An upset I figure is about 5-10% chance.

I think people are giving Freeze too much credit as a coach. this is his first game as their coach, that is a much bigger learning curve for his team than our team has breaking in some new starters. And Freeze doesn't have 3 first round picks on his roster like he had in 2015 which will make any coach(especially one who cheats his way to getting good recruits) look good. they might give us a game for a bit, but we will hammer them when all is said and done.

Good post. I think we'll see a dominant Orange D and slow to get going Orange O. It will feel worse than it is in the 1st half, then we'll see the O get clicking as TD and Dino figure out some halftime adjustments.
Yep. Dominating D. Offense will figure it out.

37-10. Seven scores. 4TD, 3 FG

Freeze is in the hospital was a staph infection. Per ESPN, he may have to be in the booth for the SU game.

One report said if he waited 24 more hours he would have been truly fighting for his life... that is crazy... expect an even more motivated team now to play for their coach... hope he's okay

One report said if he waited 24 more hours he would have been truly fighting for his life... that is crazy... expect an even more motivated team now to play for their coach... hope he's okay

Not saying you’re wrong, but play hard for a coach they barely know at this point?... the learning curve has been alluded to several times in this thread and when is the last time that a program in the first game in a new system came out of the gate firing on all cylinders?... and that’s with a HC who was actually an active participant in fall camp? Idk but some of us might be overthinking this one

Last edited:
This development is no help to the Liberty football team.

We will be their Super Bowl.

I honestly think Rutgers will be their Super Bowl. That's a power 5 team they have a legitimate shot at beating. Who knows . . . .

You guys really are missing a lot of points about us (Liberty fan). AGG is a stud receiver and likely will be a 2-4 round draft pick. Buckshot’s health is no concern. On D Jesse is a beast but Austin Lewis (DE) was a freshman all American last year (he also put on like 20-30 pounds of muscle and is even faster). Solomon Ajayi is a stud. Our defense was terrible because of coaching last year. I expect y’all to win but we will keep it closer than y’all will be comfortable with. 41-27 y’all pull away in the 4th. Just to show y’all how rocking it’s going to be this was today...

I don't think any SU fan expects SU to lose this game or for it to be a dogfight but these types of games can be hard to get a read on. Fresh faces on both sides of the ball, road game for the 1st game of the year, Road team playing probably the biggest game in their short D1 history etc etc.

As for this game clearly SU is the more talented squad with far less questions then a Liberty squad whose defense was at times embarrassingly bad last season. That said its still the first game for an offense on the road replacing essentially a 4 year starting QB, its top WR and 3 high end OL. I have little concern about this offense over the long haul with so many weapons and Devito showing what he could do in limited PT last year but I don't think it would be crazy if there was some kinks to work out especially on the road in Devito's first ever start.

Defensively were running a bit blind with Freeze being in his inaugural year and it being unclear who starts at QB and RB for Liberty at what exactly they will try and run offensively. From a secondary and pass rush standpoint its hard not to think SU had an enormous advantage especially with their being some concerns about Liberty's OL and their WR depth outside of Golden-Gandy who seems like a 2nd day NFL draft pick. Our question marks are really at DT and LB where Liberty is sure to try and attack us.

I expect SU to win and hopefully win handily but as good as we were last year (and we looked really good at times) were still a team that is just starting to experience being a top 25 squad and the expectations that come with it. Personally I hope to see the SU defense dominate and the offense really look to attack with our depth of players and what should be an outstanding run game when you look at all the talent we have with Adams, Neal, Howard etc etc. That said I also wouldn't be shocked if this is a much closer game then we hope for if we come out a bit flat.

You missed on a lot here let me clear it up for you (Liberty fan). Buckshot is our QB. He just needs to be smarter with the ball. He has an extremely strong arm. Our O Line is one of the most veteran groups and should be decent (LT maybe a question mark but the rest is good). The WR’s are probably tied with the RB’s for the deepest position group we have so don’t think you’ll double team AGG and be fine. I expect y’all to win but it’s not a walk in the park ask Baylor and ODU how well we come out for week one.

Sounds like Lewis properly dedicated himself to S&C. I assume he’s moving to DT?

No he is 6’6 and moved up to I believe about 260ish. He will be the other DE. Expect a ton of JUCO help at the DT spots Vincent is back so he will sure up one of the DT. I forgot to mention our secondary is pretty good and was last year.

Top 30 players: so y’all can get familiar with our main guys if you want

You missed on a lot here let me clear it up for you (Liberty fan). Buckshot is our QB. He just needs to be smarter with the ball. He has an extremely strong arm. Our O Line is one of the most veteran groups and should be decent (LT maybe a question mark but the rest is good). The WR’s are probably tied with the RB’s for the deepest position group we have so don’t think you’ll double team AGG and be fine. I expect y’all to win but it’s not a walk in the park ask Baylor and ODU how well we come out for week one.

No offense, but Baylor went 1-11 that year and ODU went 4-8 last year. It might not be a walk in the park, but this isn't 2017 Baylor or 2018 ODU coming to town. This is a 10-win ACC team entering year 4 of playing in a system that has proven successful literally everywhere. A bit of a different beast :)