Liberty Skull Session | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Liberty Skull Session

He will be back and will be in the booth for the game. It’s a little concerning because he missed the end of camp but he is expected to be back on campus helping out soon. Offensively it’s not as big of a deal because we ran a similar offense last year. Defensively he has been on record saying his DC runs that show so it shouldn’t be a major deal. Kent Austin is also coaching and should have helped with that being he was a Grey Cup winning head coach in the CFL.
How’s your run D? Everyone’s hyping up Tommy DeVito and Dino’s fast paced offense. However, Syracuse’s deepest/scariest group is our big fast running backs. We have three legitimate p5 talented backs that would each be 1,000 yard threats in their own right given the opportunity. Dino seizes control of the run game and determines the pace of the game, from there alone it may be over if he holds sway there.

Can your interior hold?

All the Liberty fans I’ve encountered have been nice and informative. All else mentioned aside, it’s good to see an energized excited new face in college football.

I appreciate the civil discussion on this board. My take on the game. Last year Liberty's offense wasn't the issue. Minus Auburn and N.Texas the offense showed up every game. Our defense was just atrocious though. Terrible DC that put us in such bad positions time after time. When Freeze arrived at Liberty the DL was his biggest concern. He hit the juco route hard and brought in a few guys that he thinks can help right away. The key to this game is can the dl stop the run? Our ends are solid and will pressure your QBs, but not if you can run for 7 yards right up the gut every play. Those tackles have to clog the middle up.

Emotions will also play a factor. This is by far the biggest game in program history. First ever ranked FBS school to visit Liberty in our first full year of FBS. The atmosphere will be electric. I worry Liberty could come out a little to jacked up that could lead to missed assignments or a silly turnover.

Either way as a Liberty alumni and fan it's incredible to be having these conversations. This didn't just happen overnight for Liberty and it's been a long time coming.

End the end: Cuse 41 Flames 34

I appreciate the civil discussion on this board. My take on the game. Last year Liberty's offense wasn't the issue. Minus Auburn and N.Texas the offense showed up every game. Our defense was just atrocious though. Terrible DC that put us in such bad positions time after time. When Freeze arrived at Liberty the DL was his biggest concern. He hit the juco route hard and brought in a few guys that he thinks can help right away. The key to this game is can the dl stop the run? Our ends are solid and will pressure your QBs, but not if you can run for 7 yards right up the gut every play. Those tackles have to clog the middle up.

Emotions will also play a factor. This is by far the biggest game in program history. First ever ranked FBS school to visit Liberty in our first full year of FBS. The atmosphere will be electric. I worry Liberty could come out a little to jacked up that could lead to missed assignments or a silly turnover.

Either way as a Liberty alumni and fan it's incredible to be having these conversations. This didn't just happen overnight for Liberty and it's been a long time coming.

We are generally a civil group. The main exception occurs during and after games, at which times we claim athletics induced temporary insanity, similar to 'roid rage without the brain cancer.

I just don’t see this defense giving up 34 points to any team not named Clemson this year.

Freeze held a Presser on Thursday or Friday. He is finally out of the hospital but still has had no contact with the team. Instead he is staying in a hotel room and viewing the team game practice via live streaming.

Freeze held a Presser on Thursday or Friday. He is finally out of the hospital but still has had no contact with the team. Instead he is staying in a hotel room and viewing the team game practice via live streaming.
Actually he’s met his team:

And I’m starting to feel like Apollo Creeds trainer Duke before the first fight with Rocky in the promoters office saying "hey champ this guy means business". Will anyone listen, as has anyone actually spent time looking at their roster and two deep like I just did and not just simply mark this down as an easy automatic win?

Well Looking at it from top to bottom they have FBS size, decent athleticism from the vids I have found and seen, and most potentially problematic for us they have veteran leadership in 17(!) positions with predominately seniors (14) and juniors at the key positions (especially qb), add in they will be motivated beyond belief for this game.

Yes sure it is the biggest game in their programs history and I guess it’s cool to be back enough as a program to be looked at in this way again and as someone’s ‘superbowl’, but yeah add this to the mix with a sold out overflow insanely loud crowd, also take a look at that video and it’s likely they are going to be quite jacked up and emotional to try and pull one out for that coach.

This is a very dangerous game folks that I am actually worried about especially if the auburn transfer quarterback is allowed to play any. Have not been wrong too often in football matters (heck I actually called the Rutgers loss here preseason in ‘98/‘99 and caught major flack here then like this post will likely again do), but that said certainly been wrong a time or two on such things (err shafer would be the guy to lead us back), hopefully this is one of this times.

And Hopefully babers and crew sees it the same way and then the kids do too not being caught looking ahead. Just get out of there with the W. Their poster here who has it 41-34 might be right.

Last edited:

And I’m starting to feel like Apollo Creeds trainer Duke before the first fight with Rocky. Has anyone spent time looking at their roster and two deep like I just did? Well Looking at it from top to bottom they have size, decent athleticism, and most problematic for us potentially veteran leadership with predominately seniors and juniors at the key positions (especially qb), add in they will be motivated beyond belief for this game.

Yes sure it is the biggest game in their programs history so add that to the mix with an sold out overflow insanely loud crowd, but take a look at that video and they are going to be quite jacked up and emotional to try and pull one out for that coach.

This is a very dangerous game folks that I am actually worried about especially if the auburn transfer quarterback is allowed to play any. Have not been wrong too often in football matters but that said been wrong on occasion and hopefully this is one of this times.

Hopefully babers and crew sees it the same way and then the kids do too not being caught looking ahead. Just get out of their with the W. Their poster here who has it 41-34 might be right.
No truth in media. I listened to a news cast that said he wasn't coaching on the sideline for SU prep.

No truth in media. I listened to a news cast that said he wasn't coaching on the sideline for SU prep.
He’s probably not gonna b on the sidelines rather up in the box but that won’t detract from their “win one for the gipper” mentality. As noted colored me concerned

He’s probably not gonna b on the sidelines rather up in the box but that won’t detract from their “win one for the gipper” mentality. As noted colored me concerned
What I'm saying he isn't on campus now coaching in prep for the SU game.

The fifth most experienced roster in FBS, a 1,000 yard rusher and receiver and senior QB. Experience makes a huge difference in college. I get it. We’ll have to score a lot of points and put the onus on their offense to keep up. That scenario seems likely to play out in our favor, especially as their pass/run mix becomes more pass than run as they fall behind.

The fifth most experienced roster in FBS, a 1,000 yard rusher and receiver and senior QB. Experience makes a huge difference in college. I get it. We’ll have to score a lot of points and put the onus on their offense to keep up. That scenario seems likely to play out in our favor, especially as their pass/run mix becomes more pass than run as they fall behind.
From your key board to Gods ears my friend.

Last edited:
If truly the strength of this year's team ( at least at this point) is our defense, then I don't see how Liberty , experienced or not is throwing up 30 plus on the scoreboard. If they do, then the discussion begins of just how much we have overrated the D early on. Besides LB, there is a lot of experience on that side of the ball for us. Unless the offense sputters out and hands the home team short fields all game... Our defense should be a huge issue and too much for Liberty. Thus allowing for TD and co to find their groove and ride it to a sizeable margin.

I predict a QB running for his life as possibly the best defensive ends in CFB shred your offensive line.

Buckshot throws 3 interceptions after being hit avoiding sacks to an all american safety that was just a freshman last year.

That and a lot of cramping and delaying for your defense as they fall down uninjured because they have no idea how to stop our offense. It happens to almost every team we play.

Our second and third stringers play in the third quarter.

Cant wait for next Saturday.

If truly the strength of this year's team ( at least at this point) is our defense, then I don't see how Liberty , experienced or not is throwing up 30 plus on the scoreboard. If they do, then the discussion begins of just how much we have overrated the D early on. Besides LB, there is a lot of experience on that side of the ball for us. Unless the offense sputters out and hands the home team short fields all game... Our defense should be a huge issue and too much for Liberty. Thus allowing for TD and co to find their groove and ride it to a sizeable margin.
Short fields? We have one of the best punters in the country...and probably as a unit a top 5 special teams crew...yeah, so that won't happen.

Ours. Want to see what OL we are rolling out. Does anyone know when we will post it? Should be tomorrow, right?
Not sure it will matter this year.

Servais, Adams, Heckel will likely not leave the field often (except in 4Q with 2 TD leads). Alexander, Tisdale, Vettorello, Davis will likely rotate liberally

*This is my uniformed, non insider opinion

And I’m starting to feel like Apollo Creeds trainer Duke before the first fight with Rocky in the promoters office saying "hey champ this guy means business". Will anyone listen, as has anyone actually spent time looking at their roster and two deep like I just did and not just simply mark this down as an easy automatic win?

Well Looking at it from top to bottom they have FBS size, decent athleticism from the vids I have found and seen, and most potentially problematic for us they have veteran leadership in 17(!) positions with predominately seniors (14) and juniors at the key positions (especially qb), add in they will be motivated beyond belief for this game.

Yes sure it is the biggest game in their programs history and I guess it’s cool to be back enough as a program to be looked at in this way again and as someone’s ‘superbowl’, but yeah add this to the mix with a sold out overflow insanely loud crowd, also take a look at that video and it’s likely they are going to be quite jacked up and emotional to try and pull one out for that coach.

This is a very dangerous game folks that I am actually worried about especially if the auburn transfer quarterback is allowed to play any. Have not been wrong too often in football matters (heck I actually called the Rutgers loss here preseason in ‘98/‘99 and caught major flack here then like this post will likely again do), but that said certainly been wrong a time or two on such things (err shafer would be the guy to lead us back), hopefully this is one of this times.

And Hopefully babers and crew sees it the same way and then the kids do too not being caught looking ahead. Just get out of there with the W. Their poster here who has it 41-34 might be right.
I absolutely hate this game.

Much more so than Maryland.

This game ... I just don't know

Our guys mean business, too.

The only game in the Babers area where we came out “looking ahead” was MTSU. And there was a whole lot more baggage to that game than this one.

Hi all!

LU Alum/current student here {going back to change careers :) }

I'm hoping it will be a close fair game on both sides and bredict a score with Syracuse winning by 10. I saw a few mentioning how much time HCHF lost due to the heath situation and he was only out from the 11th till mid week last week. He was able to have ample time to get his system in. I won't be able to make it to the game but I hope everyone that does enjoys the stadium and our hospitality. A few good eateries are Macados(great sandwiches and Long island ice teas, also within walking distance of the stadium) Robin Alexander's {RA's} (bistro with good drinks), rivermont pizza, and waterstone pizza. Wards road has all the chain restaurant's and more.

Enjoy the trip!

GO FLAMES