Liberty Skull Session | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Liberty Skull Session

Calvert statistically had his worst season as a junior in 2018, the Flames’ first at the Football Bowl Subdivision level, with 3,068 passing yards, 21 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. He threw 15 picks in his first two seasons combined at the Football Championship Subdivision level, and the superior FBS defenses discovered how to frustrate Calvert and force him into poor decisions.
He threw an interception in 10 straight games last season, with 13 picks coming in a five-game stretch at the end of the season.

There are two main goals for the defense this season: Allow less than 23 points per game and get off the field on third down.
“I think that has definitely created a hunger and a desire to be great on defense,” redshirt senior safety Elijah Benton said, “and I think that we’ve definitely improved a lot since last year.”
Symons hasn’t addressed the numbers the Flames allowed defensively last season, opting to focus on installing his version of the 4-2-5 defense and getting his team prepared for the Orange.
Liberty allowed 36.8 points per game last season — tied for 117th out of 130 teams in the FBS — and surrendered 30.4 points in its final FCS season in 2017.

There are two main goals for the defense this season: Allow less than 23 points per game and get off the field on third down.
“I think that has definitely created a hunger and a desire to be great on defense,” redshirt senior safety Elijah Benton said, “and I think that we’ve definitely improved a lot since last year.”
Symons hasn’t addressed the numbers the Flames allowed defensively last season, opting to focus on installing his version of the 4-2-5 defense and getting his team prepared for the Orange.
Liberty allowed 36.8 points per game last season — tied for 117th out of 130 teams in the FBS — and surrendered 30.4 points in its final FCS season in 2017.

I can't imagine the new defense is going to be ready to go in game one. Defense is their weakness. If our OL is an average P5 OL we should be able to run all over them and wear them down.

The deeper dive makes me less nervous.

IMO - we cant have dreams of 10-2 and an upset if Clemson and be worried about Liberty.

Cuse - 52
Liberty - 24 (late TD Score)

If liberty wins, I’ll give myself a 1 year ban from this place. That’s how confident I am:

We can't beat Clemson if we DON'T worry about Liberty. The key to the season is to take each game seriously.

We can't beat Clemson if we DON'T worry about Liberty. The key to the season is to take each game seriously.

I’m not worried. But I hope the team is taking every game seriously.

Other than QB and 2 OL’s, plus 3 other guys on D, pretty much nobody else has started more than a handful of games, and for many this will be their first.

With a brand new coach, who missed most of camp due to severe health issues.

We’d really better spank these holy rollers, early and often.

Sometimes D's struggle because their O goes 3 or 4 and out a lot and has turnovers. Buckshot threw 18 picks which is quite a bit and most of their D is coming back. SU had that same kind of circumstance in Babers first year like giving up big plays. Not saying they are going to be outstanding but as long as SU is focused on taking care of business things will be fine.

You will know SU has something special (not that we don't already) when the 2nd and 3rd strings on O are doing things the HCSS 1st teams on O couldn't do.

Sometimes D's struggle because their O goes 3 or 4 and out a lot and has turnovers. Buckshot threw 18 picks which is quite a bit and most of their D is coming back. SU had that same kind of circumstance in Babers first year like giving up big plays. Not saying they are going to be outstanding but as long as SU is focused on taking care of business things will be fine.

You will know SU has something special (not that we don't already) when the 2nd and 3rd strings on O are doing things the HCSS 1st teams on O couldn't do.
That's a low bar to hurdle