"Likes" have ruined the board | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

"Likes" have ruined the board

I never look at how many likes someone has. I enjoy the like button because I get lazy, lol. If I agree with someone but would rather not chime in, or couldn't have said it better myself, I just click that "like" button, simpler than typing a reply back ALL THE TIME.

I do not think it is ruining the board at all.

I belong to a couple other forums that don't have the "like" option. I think it has plus' and minus'. The discussion is definitely more focused but it can be a little stale. It's not uncommon for me to bust out laughing at something posted here where in the other forums I don't think I've ever lol'd.

Stick around, you will lol more!

Stick around, you will lol more!

The people posting here are great. I've laughed lots of times. But last week I got banned for foul language. I didn't use the F word. All I did was someone predicting the Orange would lose was a type of donkey. I am still a little miffed about it. No warning or anything. I am still not even clear that I violated any terms of service. Oh well.

if i had to guess 80% of my likes are TEES and 19% cuz i just happened to point out that some dudes sig was 2 pages of nonsense squiggles.

Last edited:
there has been a noticeable change. almost since my first post on this board, I had a post-to-like ratio of roughly 2 to 1. Since last fall, that gap has steadily narrowed and it has really gained speed since the first of the year. I hit parity last week and now I'm upside down by over 100. It's as if the Central Like Bank has decided to aggressively pursue quantitative easing.

Likes used to be solid gold, now they are as valuable as an Argentine peso.

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.

The people posting here are great. I've laughed lots of times. But last week I got banned for foul language. ... I am still not even clear that I violated any terms of service. Oh well.
Pet owners have the invisible fence. We have the invisible line. You crossed it.

If your post suckes you don't get a like. It not like 5-6 year olds tee ball where every kid gets a trophy.

Actually Jim, that's pretty much exactly what it's like now. :) I'd guess 99% of every post now gets a "like".

I used to take pride in only posting intermittently and when I knew it was a post worthy of some form of "like" - using pretty much the same parameters as what tbone stated in #95 above.

Pretty sure I was at about a 1:1 ratio when the watering down began, but I don't really post a ton so it hasn't affected me.

Regardless, the people responsible for the dilution of the like (Tee, Jim, etc) bring so much good will and fandom to this site that I'm willing to forgive them for trivializing all my hard earned old school likes. :)

Last edited:
Pet owners have the invisible fence. We have the invisible line. You crossed it.

It reminds me the way Duke gets fouls called their way at Cameron.

I belong to a couple other forums that don't have the "like" option. I think it has plus' and minus'. The discussion is definitely more focused but it can be a little stale. It's not uncommon for me to bust out laughing at something posted here where in the other forums I don't think I've ever lol'd.

Yeah, this is my thought as well. I only post on a couple other forums, and this one is unlike those in that neither has the "Like" feature. I think it adds a lot as far as humor goes, pics, off-topic stuff, etc...but if you don't like that stuff - you probably hate the likes. I like the likes because it becomes more likely that we get funny stuff - I liken it to dangling a carrot in front of posters to get them to try harder.

You can always game the system, just post in the Youtube music threads, etc...and never, ever, ever post in gameday threads!!! :)

I belong to a couple other forums that don't have the "like" option. I think it has plus' and minus'.
So, if someone makes a good post about a bad news topic, does it get a plus or a minus? Same question with likes or not?

I also think the like inflation has a lot to do with the Facebook interpretation of Like = "I read it.

So, if someone makes a good post about a bad news topic, does it get a plus or a minus? Same question with likes or not?

I also think the like inflation has a lot to do with the Facebook interpretation of Like = "I read it.

Lol...I didn't mean "plus and minus" that way, although I see how you could read it that way. I meant that the system of "likes" itself has its plus' and minus' or its positives and negatives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom