Lincoln Riley | Syracusefan.com

Lincoln Riley

I know but, offensive minded coaches make the best coaches too. Experience can only get you so far unless you are a proven commodity with experience. Some guys just have it and some don't regardless of the experience factor.

Personally speaking I think head coaching experience is a must right now. Can't go through another learn on the job coach
I agree completely. Need a guy that's got that HC experience. We can't afford to have a learn on the job coach IMO.

I know but, offensive minded coaches make the best coaches too. Experience can only get you so far unless you are a proven commodity with experience. Some guys just have it and some don't regardless of the experience factor.
Yeah but with a coach with experience you atleast have a head start with the curve. I can't take anymore stupid time outs and stupid clock management. Honestly did anyone not think yesterday that fsu scores after that time out.

I lost it yesterday before the stupid timeouts. When there were 2 pass interference plays that were not called, and our coach did not even get upset, I knew he was not the man for the job. Any coach would have been micro managing those stupid refs and getting on their case about the non calls. Temple pays their head coach basically the same as Syracuse. You always pay for what you get, just ask Ohio State and Bama... show me the money. These jobs are basically CEO of the football team, and when you need 85 guys, it's very important who the coach is.

Last edited:
If we go this route this year...gotta find a mid-major Head Coach. Love to get Rhule...but he'll be a hot commodity.

I think he'd be a homerun or a Gergian level failure. At this point I think we should take a risk. Gerg and Shafer were safe hires in their own way, and neither worked out.

Need HC experience. I would rather have Fordham HC than Riley

Don't care whether he has head coaching experience. There are trade offs. Less likely to get someone great if you need head coaching experience. I just want an offensive guy from a spread to run team

Last edited:
Don't care whether he has head coaching experience. There are trade offs. Less like to get someone great if you need head coaching experience.

I just want an offensive guy from a spread to run team
What do you think about Justin Fuente?

No, I don't want to see option football on offense.
I detest the chop blocks but he and Johnson both win consistently and rarely get blown out. Long term it's probably not realistic to think we can beat FSU, Clemson and Louisville at their own game offensively, given recruiting disparities that are unlikely to go away.

What do you think about Justin Fuente?

Out of all the "hot names" I think Fuente has the best chance to end up with a high end P5 program. Plus I really don't even think he'd leave Memphis for Syracuse.

I think our best move would be to get a guy like Barbers are Bowling Green, or Fleck at WMU.

Fleck is a little more season, has totally rebuilt WMU into a solid program, and has proven to be one of the best recruiters out there. He has consistently had WMU as one of the best programs in term of recruiting out of any of the G5 programs. Plus he is an offensive coach.

Barbers is in his 1st year at Bowling Green, but has already pulled off a couple nice wins, and is from the Briles coaching tree. Can't beat that.

Neither of those coaches are going to be coveted by South Carolina, Miami, USC's of the world. There next step would be to a program like Syracuse. I can only hope Coyle zeros in on 1 of these guys.

Some reports has Fuente headed to South Carolina. Another interesting name for South Carolina is Michagam State's coach. He is a South Carolina grad.

Out of all the "hot names" I think Fuente has the best chance to end up with a high end P5 program. Plus I really don't even think he'd leave Memphis for Syracuse.

I think our best move would be to get a guy like Barbers are Bowling Green, or Fleck at WMU.

Fleck is a little more season, has totally rebuilt WMU into a solid program, and has proven to be one of the best recruiters out there. He has consistently had WMU as one of the best programs in term of recruiting out of any of the G5 programs. Plus he is an offensive coach.

Barbers is in his 1st year at Bowling Green, but has already pulled off a couple nice wins, and is from the Briles coaching tree. Can't beat that.

Neither of those coaches are going to be coveted by South Carolina, Miami, USC's of the world. There next step would be to a program like Syracuse. I can only hope Coyle zeros in on 1 of these guys.
Barbers. You had me at Briles.

I'd also go with Lincoln Riley though.

Basically, if they've been behind a top college offense, I'm in.

I'd also go with Lincoln Riley though.

Basically, if they've been behind a top college offense, I'm in.

Riley from the Leach tree... I would take it but he is a clean cut Holgorsen, IMO. You need the HC experience to make sure the guy can handle the position. I would rather have Dino from Bowling Green, he's got more experience and still gets it done on offense.

Babers is my #1 guy.

Riley from the Leach tree... I would take it but he is a clean cut Holgorsen, IMO. You need the HC experience to make sure the guy can handle the position. I would rather have Dino from Bowling Green, he's got more experience and still gets it done on offense.

Babers is my #1 guy.
Like, for me, if we go a different way I'll be thrilled with one of any of some 7 or 8 guys. Babers, Riley, Campbell, Hardin, Frost, Fuentes, Wylder... I mean, just go with offense and sell the Dome like crazy on the recruiting trail.

Some reports has Fuente headed to South Carolina. Another interesting name for South Carolina is Michagam State's coach. He is a South Carolina grad.

South Carolina should hire Chad Morris. It would make things more fun, keep the spice in the in state rivalry.

Miami should hire back Butch Davis, and talk him into giving the OC job to Cristobal. Since Butch is days from turning 64, they could make Cristobal the coach in waiting now. Talent would no longer get away from Miami. The rest will work itself out.

Penn State should work a deal with Maryland, give them Franklin for a 2nd round pick, and then bring Rhule home.

I'm going to need some puppet strings soon.

As for us, offensive minded head coach, with the budget to hire an experienced DC at $750k or so per year. Competitive salaries for the rest of the staff.

My big issue with Babers is he's old as dirt, and he's mostly winning still with Clawson's players.

South Carolina should hire Chad Morris. It would make things more fun, keep the spice in the in state rivalry.

Miami should hire back Butch Davis, and talk him into giving the OC job to Cristobal. Since Butch is days from turning 64, they could make Cristobal the coach in waiting now. Talent would no longer get away from Miami. The rest will work itself out.

Penn State should work a deal with Maryland, give them Franklin for a 2nd round pick, and then bring Rhule home.

I'm going to need some puppet strings soon.

As for us, offensive minded head coach, with the budget to hire an experienced DC at $750k or so per year. Competitive salaries for the rest of the staff.

No one will go within 10 feet of Butch with all the UNC crap.