Link for Cavaliers Game @ 7:00 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Link for Cavaliers Game @ 7:00

I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying. Are you trying to say that you think it's ridiculous to think Beal could possibly be better than Waiters because of the first game of the season? I assume that's not what you're trying to say, but I don't really get it.

I think he was referring to his earlier post, where he said "his man" as in Dion's man he was guarding. You interpreted that to mean "your man," as if it was implying that you were a Beal supporter.

Why are you so hyped up over this -- literally everyone else who watched the game felt Dion played well. What's your issue?

Did I even say he didn't necessarily play well? I said he scored 17 points without even looking that impressive I believe. I pointed out that he did some things well and also pointed out that he did a lot of things poorly. I think he was easily the 3rd best player on the floor for this game behind Varejao and Irving. Is any of this unfair to say?

Regardless, it's just one game into the season. Waiters will improve as the season goes on.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it's a good thing that he put up 17 while not even looking impressive.

Really has to finish around the rim though. Went 6/14 almost solely on layups and dunks. Not good.

And he and Irving both are way too lazy on the defensive end whenever a screen comes their way.

Cavs are gonna struggle this year, but man, Irving looks like an all-star.
comeonson.png

Really? Getting to the rim isn't a strength? Only 2 players on the Cavaliers entire roster can get to the rim at will - that's why they drafted him 4th - to let Irving play off the ball at times and take pressure off him.

Ok, I thought "getting to the rim" was implied in "finishing around the rim". My apologies. Yes, he's good at both getting to the rim and finishing around the rim.

I think he was referring to his earlier post, where he said "his man" as in Dion's man he was guarding. You interpreted that to mean "your man," as if it was implying that you were a Beal supporter.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Yeah, my bad. I thought he was saying "his man" because I said I think Beal has a better chance of winning ROTY than Waiters earlier.

I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying. Are you trying to say that you think it's ridiculous to think Beal could possibly be better than Waiters because of the first game of the season? I assume that's not what you're trying to say, but I don't really get it.

No I saying if you think Dion didn't have a good game then what did you see from Beal to list him as ROTY? By your standards he had a horrible game!

Did I even say he didn't necessarily play well? I said he scored 17 points without even looking that impressive I believe. I pointed out that he did some things well and also pointed out that he did a lot of things poorly. I think he was easily the 3rd best player on the floor for this game behind Varejao and Irving. Is any of this unfair to say?

Regardless, it's just one game into the season. Waiters will improve as the season goes on.
I'm not hating on you for expressing an opinion. I just think you're expectations for his first game are over the top. Relax. He'll be a good player. If his D was imperfect, he'll be a perfect fit for the NBA.

I'm not hating on you for expressing an opinion. I just think you're expectations for his first game are over the top. Relax. He'll be a good player. If his D wasn't perfect, he'll be at the end of a long line in the NBA.

Oh yeah, I completely agree that it's only one game and I do think he'll be a successful NBA player. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a good 6th man on a contender or a fringe starter for a contender. I think he'll end up getting there. I just don't think he'll ever develop into a top 2 player on a winning team like basically everyone around this campus thinks.

Edit: And for what it's worth, the only player I think the Cavs probably should have taken over Waiters was Barnes. I think he was probably the next best available for that team. Possibly Drummond, but he definitely wouldn't be able to make an impact for them early on the way Waiters can.

And I REALLY REALLY would have rather my team (the Bucks) end up with Waiters rather than who we ended up with (Henson).

And as a Bucks fan, I think Monta Ellis would be better used as a 6th man on a contending team as well, and I happen to think he's one of the top 5-7 SGs in the NBA, so I think that actually speaks pretty highly of Waiters to say he could be a good 6th man on a contending team some day.

I don't really have a "man". I think Beal will be closer to ROTY this year, but I think it will most likely be Unibrow, Barnes, Valanciunas, Beal, or Motiejunas (but Valanciunas or Motiejunas could both fall flat on their faces too; depends on how much playing time they get).

How many times have you watched Beal play? From what I've seen of him, some of your criticisms of Waiters apply more to Beal. He looks like a sleepwalker to me.

How many times have you watched Beal play? From what I've seen of him, some of your criticisms of Waiters apply more to Beal. He looks like a sleepwalker to me.

I've definitely seen more of Waiters since I'm a Syracuse student and I've gone to every game, but I've seen a lot of Beal as well between the games that he was on TV and scouting videos. And I think Beal has a lot of the same issues as well. But I think he's slightly better at this point and will be in a better position to succeed this year.

For me, the most horrifying part of this thread is the sudden realization that if Melancer is an SU student, he wasn't even alive when the movie that contained the sound bite I just posted was released.

I'm only 31 and I suddenly feel insanely old. I remember having all of the toys from that movie, for god's sake.

For me, the most horrifying part of this thread is the sudden realization that if Melancer is an SU student, he wasn't even alive when the movie that contained the sound bite I just posted was released.

I'm only 31 and I suddenly feel insanely old. I remember having all of the toys from that movie, for god's sake.

Lol, sorry man. Turn 21 in 2 months! :D

between Rodney Stuckey and James Harden is not his ceiling one game into his rookie year. If you put the word in predict I wouldn't mind the thought, otherwise that is hating.

between Rodney Stuckey and James Harden is his ceiling one game into his rookie year. If you put the word in predict I wouldn't mind the thought, otherwise that is hating.

I said that based on how he played in college. I think Harden is his ceiling and Stuckey is his floor. Look him up on DraftExpress; I think they said something along those lines as well.

Edit: And at the same time, all the people saying he's the next DWade aren't just being homerish? It goes both ways. People have differing opinions on how players will pan out.

between Rodney Stuckey and James Harden is not his ceiling one game into his rookie year. If you put the word in predict I wouldn't mind the thought, otherwise that is hating.

I don't agree with all of his evaluations of Waiters' game, but I fail to see how that is "hating". Stuckey is above average, and Harden is very good. Falling somewhere between that would be a good, solid player. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah but Dion could be a NBA Allstar and team leader someday. He has the potential.

Yeah but Dion could be a NBA Allstar and team leader someday. He has the potential.

Yeah. Harden was an all star caliber player last year. I don't know if he made it, but he played well enough to and looks to have some all star appearances in his future. If Waiters reaches his level, that's a good thing.

What do you think his ceiling is? Dwayne Wade? Kobe?

Not a bad start..but, goodness...he looks like Carmelo out there, calling SWITCH on every pick. This is the NBA son...fight through it.. :)

Agree Harden was a great player. 16 ppg and 3 assists per game I think.
I could see Dion having the potential to put up 24 ppg and 3-4 assists per game maybe someday.
And if he can reach that then he could probably even get it alittle higher with enough greenlight.
He looked to get to the rim at will and has pretty nice shooting form.

Not a bad start..but, goodness...he looks like Carmelo out there, calling SWITCH on every pick. This is the NBA son...fight through it.. :)

That's the defense the 1, 2, and 3 switch all picks 99% of teams play it that way

I really don't care about the argument/discussion of this thread, but I do find it funny that the term "defense" is being used in an NBA discussion. With the exception of a player or two on each team the lack of defense being talked about in this thread applies to most NBA players. As our boy whose name always escapes me would say there is more defense played during the midday YMCA pick up games than most NBA games.

I really don't care about the argument/discussion of this thread, but I do find it funny that the term "defense" is being used in an NBA discussion. With the exception of a player or two on each team the lack of defense being talked about in this thread applies to most NBA players. As our boy whose name always escapes me would say there is more defense played during the midday YMCA pick up games than most NBA games.

That's not really true. Not on the good teams and certainly not in the playoffs. A couple of guys max on good teams can't defend. Byron Scott dosn't tolerate slacking on D so Dion will most certainly ride the pine if he has lapses often.

BERNIEFINEFEVERCUSE locks dudes up on D at the Y