Listen I love Jerry Palm's bracketlogy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Listen I love Jerry Palm's bracketlogy

I understand everyone's view on being placed in the East Region, I'm simply saying this team should have the mentaility of saying it, we'll play anyone.

I don't think WSU deserves a #1 seed. Yes, I know that even with an easy schedule, it's hard to go undefeated (see us vs BC), but I think there would be more undefeated teams if the top teams played their schedule. I know it is tough for them to schedule, but at some point, they'll have to suck it up and play some tough teams on the road. Until they do that, I'll give them a #2 seed.

Its principle. We cant start handing out overall #1 seeds to teams in mid majors. Thats ridiculous. When everyone makes mention of your ONE big win all year when defending your resume, you know you dont deserve it.

Regions do matter. I was in Albany in 2003 and it was a home game for Syracuse vs Oklahoma. 90-10 at least.

Oklahoma couldnt beat that zone that year if the game was played on the moon.

it all comes down to matchups.

If Syracuse gets Buffalo/MSG then home court advantage comes into play. We beat a #13 seed and #12 seed in San Jose last year, but getting the sweet 16 in Washington D.C. helped in the Sweet 16/Elite 8.

If we get the chance to stay in NY till Dallas we can get to Dallas and play for all the marbles. This team just needs to find a second wind and play with more energy in March as since conference play outside of the Duke game we have played like a snail.

I hate to disagree for a 2nd time... but i think it should be pointed out that Indiana had more fans than us in DC.

If they go undefeated, it is impressive (with a large asterisk). They will have beaten up on the likes of Evansville (twice), Loyola (IL - twice), Bradley, Drake, Southern Illinois, etc.

Give me a break. I'd like to see them play Duke twice, UNC, Pitt twice, Nova, etc.

They would have 4-5 losses if they played in the ACC or B1G.

If they go undefeated, it is impressive (with a large asterisk). They will have beaten up on the likes of Evansville (twice), Loyola (IL - twice), Bradley, Drake, Southern Illinois, etc.

Give me a break. I'd like to see them play Duke twice, UNC, Pitt twice, Nova, etc.

They would have 4-5 losses if they played in the ACC or B1G.

true but its going to become a reality if they win out so you better prepare yourself for it

Giving Wichita State a 1 seed if they go undefeated while I wouldn't do it I can understand it because teams 5 thru 8 have a lot of losses. However, a superior resume team from Gonzaga last year had 2 losses, but beat Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma, won All Spice in Orlando, BYU 2 times, St. Mary's 3 times was the 4th 1 seed. I don't care that Wichita State is a 1 seed they can not be the number 1 overall seed as the committee would be saying Wichita State's regular season resume was the best in the entire country and that would be insane.

The whole "They made it to the final four last year" argument is a joke. What a team did last year should have no bearing on seeding this year.
Except that "reputation" always enters into committee members' minds. It's human nature.

Do you wait for posts I make that you disagree with and just make condescending things about them because it matters who the number 1 overall seed. I would rather be the number 1 overall seed if possible because it would most likely put Florida on the other side of the bracket. In 1996, we wouldn't have likely played in the NC game if the committee did seeded the 1 seeds 1 thru 4 as UMass and Kentucky were the top teams and were on the same half of the brackets and met in the National Semi-Finals.

Also, Wichita State's RESUME is a freaking joke. Their best win is @St. Louis and that is their only game on their schedule that will be against a top 25 team the ENTIRE SEASON. Last year's NCAA Tournament run is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT or else let's bump Syracuse up because we made the Final Four as well.
Games vs. RPI top 50
Kansas 10-6
Arizona 8-2
Florida 5-2
Syracuse 8-0
Michigan St 6-4
Creighton 6-2
Duke 4-4
Wichita St. 2-0

# Games vs. RPI Top 100
Kansas 14-6
Arizona 14-2
Florida 11-2
Syracuse 12-0
Mich St. 7-5
Creighton 11-4
Duke 8-5
Wichita St. 5-0

Wichita St. 23 of 28 games outside the top 100. It's an accomplishment to go undefeated no matter the league. But they have played a far easier schedule than the other top teams. IMO it doesn't make sense to award them the top overall #1.

I think going through the regular season undefeated might be enough for a #1, regardless of MVC tourney success.

Yes. AP and Coaches polls. Not the tournament seeding. Change "today" to Monday in my post. Thanks.

If we beat Duke I think we have a shot of staying #1

I'm fine with an undefeated WSU being a 1, but there is no way there deserve the top overall seed. I get it, it's not a huge deal, but if they're gonna identify a top overall seed, it can't be a team who's resume is essentially 1 game.

Last edited:
Who cares about your thoughts on condescension? ;)

These are the kinds of posts we'd like to keep out of a thread. This is the kind of post that would have been better as a private message.

Games vs. RPI top 50
Kansas 10-6
Arizona 8-2
Florida 5-2
Syracuse 8-0
Michigan St 6-4
Creighton 6-2
Duke 4-4
Wichita St. 2-0

# Games vs. RPI Top 100
Kansas 14-6
Arizona 14-2
Florida 11-2
Syracuse 12-0
Mich St. 7-5
Creighton 11-4
Duke 8-5
Wichita St. 5-0

Wichita St. 23 of 28 games outside the top 100. It's an accomplishment to go undefeated no matter the league. But they have played a far easier schedule than the other top teams. IMO it doesn't make sense to award them the top overall #1.

Kansas playing 16 games against the RPI Top 50 is pretty impressive.

These are the kinds of posts we'd like to keep out of a thread. This is the kind of post that would have been better as a private message.
Not sure if you are serious. I was clearly joking. Hence the winky-face. Maybe the emoticon didn't show up when you read it.

somebody needs to be the 1st #1 to get beat by a 16.

cant imagine anyone finer than the nations lil darling...the shockers, earning that stigma.

well maybe gonzaga, but by now everyone has come to grips with the fact that they royally suck.

the mids. stay out of my tournament.

I don't understand why you would want the mid majors out of the tournament. They have performed better than power teams on seed line 5-12 for a while now. 5 have made the final 4 since 2006. How many power teams from line 5-12 have made the final 4 over that time?

If you don't think the shockers are a #1 seed that is fine. But banished?

They are hard to seed no doubt, especially in pod seeds, but this is no reason to exclude them from the tournament. It's the mystery of these teams, good or bad, that adds to the allure of the tourney.

Those top 50 numbers tell me that it's increasingly unlikely Duke has any chance of a one seed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom