Little summer preview | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Little summer preview

USA East Coast
9 minutes ago
USA ROLLS AGAINST TALLINNA KALEV
August 4, 2014
For Immediate Release
Tallinn, Estonia - USA East Coast made the most of their five practices leading up to today's game against Estonia's Tallinna Kalev. The American All Stars fired on all ...cylinders as they cruised to a 103-59 victory. The overall team effort had 7 of the 10 players in double figures. Syracuse's Tyler Roberson led the way with a double double of 13 points and 14 rebounds in just under 19 minutes. Every player on the roster had exceptional moments in the contest and the effort level was maintained throughout. South Carolina Coach Frank Martin expressed his happiness following the game, "I was extremely excited about how together our guys played on both ends. We limited them to 33% from the field and had 25 assists. A 59-30 rebounding advantage showed the effort our guys played with. ". Iowa's Adam Woodbury dominated the paint while his Hawkeye teammate Mike Gesell posted 10 points, 7 assists, and 2 steals. The South Carolina tandem of Tyrone Johnson and Sindarius Thornwell combined for 25 points, 11 assists, 10 rebounds, and 4 steals. Roberson's Syracuse teammate BJ Johnson joined in with 16 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 steals. Arkansas' Dusty Hannahs filled it up inside and out with 16 points and Kansas' Hunter Mickelson impressed with 12 points, 6 rebounds, and a game leading 3 blocked shots. Baruch's Granville Gittens finished with 6 rebounds and Lycoming's John Monkam rounded out the effort with 2 steals and 2 points.

Things will get tougher tomorrow night as the Austrian National team upset the host Estonian National team in the second game of the Tallinn Cup. USA East Coast will face the National Team of Austria at 8:00PM (1:00PM EST), the outcome will leave just 1 team unbeaten in the 4 team event.

USA TEAM STATS
Mike Gesell - 10 pts, 7ast, 2stl, 19:45min
Tyrone Johnson - 12pts, 6ast, 4reb, 20:15min
Dusty Hannahs - 16pts, 3reb, 2ast, 18:48min
Sindarius Thornwell - 13pts, 6reb, 5ast, 4stl, 21:13min
John Monkam - 2pts, 2stl, 1reb, 18:53min
BJ Johnson - 16pts, 7reb, 2ast, 2stl, 22:10min
Granville Gittens - 2pts, 6reb, 2blk, 1stl, 20:32min
Tyler Roberson - 13pts, 14reb, 3ast, 1blk, 18:50min
Hunter Mickelson - 12pts, 6reb, 3blk, 19:29min
Adam Woodbury - 7pts, 11reb, 3stl, 20:06min

Excellent news, BJ with a tied team high in points and both of the sons rebounded well. Love that two big men passed the ball! Win tomorrow and all but lock it up.
From PS
Btw, I said it somewhere else, but how about that distribution of playing time! Good stuff, it's a good will tournament, they get to see a new place and everyone contributes. Russ Smith's the only one who didn't get the memo last year. :)

Excellent news, BJ with a tied team high in points and both of the sons rebounded well. Love that two big men passed the ball! Win tomorrow and all but lock it up.
From PS
Btw, I said it somewhere else, but how about that distribution of playing time! Good stuff, it's a good will tournament, they get to see a new place and everyone contributes. Russ Smith's the only one who didn't get the memo last year. :)
;)

USA East Coast
9 minutes ago
USA ROLLS AGAINST TALLINNA KALEV

USA TEAM STATS
Mike Gesell - 10 pts, 7ast, 2stl, 19:45min
Tyrone Johnson - 12pts, 6ast, 4reb, 20:15min
Dusty Hannahs - 16pts, 3reb, 2ast, 18:48min
Sindarius Thornwell - 13pts, 6reb, 5ast, 4stl, 21:13min
John Monkam - 2pts, 2stl, 1reb, 18:53min
BJ Johnson - 16pts, 7reb, 2ast, 2stl, 22:10min
Granville Gittens - 2pts, 6reb, 2blk, 1stl, 20:32min
Tyler Roberson - 13pts, 14reb, 3ast, 1blk, 18:50min
Hunter Mickelson - 12pts, 6reb, 3blk, 19:29min
Adam Woodbury - 7pts, 11reb, 3stl, 20:06min

Glad to see the two play well. Even with the even distribution it still good to see that BJ got the most minutes and be the leading scorer. Roberson must have had a monster game with 14 boards in just under 19 minutes. That's huge at any level.

Glad to see the two play well. Even with the even distribution it still good to see that BJ got the most minutes and be the leading scorer. Roberson must have had a monster game with 14 boards in just under 19 minutes. That's huge at any level.
Agree throughout.

Also, these international teams (if any like years prior) beat teams with Triche and and Baye. They are decent wins for most high major schools. Something about the skill level that BJ and Roberson bring to the table that could be the answer to what we've lacked recently. I heard some really good things about BJ in practice leading up to these games. And Roberson's rebounding in 18-19 minutes? Just a matter of time.

Agree throughout.

Also, these international teams (if any like years prior) beat teams with Triche and and Baye. They are decent wins for most high major schools. Something about the skill level that BJ and Roberson bring to the table that could be the answer to what we've lacked recently. I heard some really good things about BJ in practice leading up to these games. And Roberson's rebounding in 18-19 minutes? Just a matter of time.
;)

cliftonparksufan said:
I swear to god Roberson has Velcro on his hands. He won't be here long enough but I think he is Dc-esque on the boards

tee1222 said:
Agree throughout. Also, these international teams (if any like years prior) beat teams with Triche and and Baye. They are decent wins for most high major schools. Something about the skill level that BJ and Roberson bring to the table that could be the answer to what we've lacked recently. I heard some really good things about BJ in practice leading up to these games. And Roberson's rebounding in 18-19 minutes? Just a matter of time.

Don't be hating on Brandon. :)

He led that team in scoring including 25 in the final game that would have won the tournament if they'd won.

I am really excited to see our forwards play this year. I love the fact that although Tyler and BJ didn't get a lot of playing time last year they were clearly talented guys with some skills already in place. They have a whole year under their belts in the program working with the staff. Add in ChrisM and I think those three could really be a great forward rotation each bringing something a bit different. It may take a little while for this years squad to settle in but this group of forwards is going to surprise quite a few fans IMO especially those that are more cautious in their season outlooks.

From FB
BJ and the Beast
10552431_902715323089672_7745848802162516225_n.jpg

Dang Tyler has some looooong arms. He'll play like he's 6-9 with those things.

BJ looking like the weight he has added is all lean muscle.

I am really excited to see our forwards play this year. I love the fact that although Tyler and BJ didn't get a lot of playing time last year they were clearly talented guys with some skills already in place. They have a whole year under their belts in the program working with the staff. Add in ChrisM and I think those three could really be a great forward rotation each bringing something a bit different. It may take a little while for this years squad to settle in but this group of forwards is going to surprise quite a few fans IMO especially those that are more cautious in their season outlooks.

It's encouraging to see BJ playing so well. BJ and TR are probably going to have more camaraderie after this summer trip. I just hope Chris Mac can blend into the teams chemistry. PT is always a source of contention. What makes a great coach in my opinion is the level of participation he gets out of his players. Many have to work hard each and every day on the hope that they will some day get to shine in the spotlight.

I sure hope BJ makes a bigger impact this year that G did last year. I think after being spoiled by Wes Johnson's extra year off I thought G would come in and make a bigger impact than he did since he was recruited by Duke.

It's encouraging to see BJ playing so well. BJ and TR are probably going to have more camaraderie after this summer trip. I just hope Chris Mac can blend into the teams chemistry. PT is always a source of contention. What makes a great coach in my opinion is the level of participation he gets out of his players. Many have to work hard each and every day on the hope that they will some day get to shine in the spotlight.

I sure hope BJ makes a bigger impact this year that G did last year. I think after being spoiled by Wes Johnson's extra year off I thought G would come in and make a bigger impact than he did since he was recruited by Duke.

MikeG played sparingly as a freshman at Duke. Wes was on one of the ALL Big12 teams as a Sophmore at Iowa St before transferring. So there is a huge difference right there. We will probably never see another transfer @ SU make the type of immediate impact that Wes did and hey you aren't lonely being in the camp that thought MikeG was going to play a much bigger role last season. I was right there with you.

Agreed that this trip should help with chemistry between BJ and Tyler. As far as Chris I expect he will start and play at least 25min a game probably more like 30. I think we may actually have the right guys in place (MikeG, BJ) to have 3 man Guard and 3man forward rotations where the 3rd guy off the bench is getting really good minutes and the starters are right around 30. Then if DC2 isn't healthy you have Chino playing whatever minutes Rak doesn't. Whether it goes down this way or not is another thing all together.

MikeG played sparingly as a freshman at Duke. Wes was on one of the ALL Big12 teams as a Sophmore at Iowa St before transferring. So there is a huge difference right there. We will probably never see another transfer @ SU make the type of immediate impact that Wes did and hey you aren't lonely being in the camp that thought MikeG was going to play a much bigger role last season. I was right there with you.

Agreed that this trip should help with chemistry between BJ and Tyler. As far as Chris I expect he will start and play at least 25min a game probably more like 30. I think we may actually have the right guys in place (MikeG, BJ) to have 3 man Guard and 3man forward rotations where the 3rd guy off the bench is getting really good minutes and the starters are right around 30. Then if DC2 isn't healthy you have Chino playing whatever minutes Rak doesn't. Whether it goes down this way or not is another thing all together.

I agree with you for the part. I'm not sure we are going to see BJ playing the 2 spot. He seems too tall for that. I was thinking he would be at the 3 spot along with G and TR. Chris Mac, Rak, and Obokoh would be playing the 4 and 5 spots (assuming Coleman red-shirts this season).

Last year's zone was just okay. But two years ago with Triche and MCW at the top of the zone was just amazing defense! It seemed like no matter where teams would try to make a pass someone would step in and steal the ball! This usually lead to a run out and a fast break basket. I miss the old days!

From FB
BJ and the Beast
10552431_902715323089672_7745848802162516225_n.jpg

BJ is starting to look the part. BJ has some serious muscle definition.

TR needs to straighten up his back and be more angry. He should look like he's about the punch the lights out of the ball with a monster block. In this pic he looks like a happy kid on a class trip (which is okay). But anytime he's in a picture with a basketball I think he should put on his game face!

I agree with you for the part. I'm not sure we are going to see BJ playing the 2 spot. He seems too tall for that.!

Its still a grey area though. It depends on the needs and whats best for the team, and ultimately coach B always does what he feels is best, he isn't the waivering type.

Suppose we didn't have Cooney last year and had Wes Johnson, or a Senior Kris Joseph instead.What if Mike G grew another inch last year, and Cooney grew 31/2? They still would have been our 2nd/3rd guards. We love to run sets for forwards to come out to the three point line on the offense end, and have no problem with forwards bringing the ball up some. Playing the 2 in our system is more a defensive thing, especially with the good caliber pg's we get.

Last edited:
BJ led team with 20pts 8rebs, Tyler Roberson 14/10 unofficially. Way to go boys!!! One more to win the Chip!! 90-83
Nice to hear and thanks again OG. This was supposed to be their toughest test as Austria already took care of the home squad.
Box score here
Translated, it's still tough but it looks like BJ was 2/3 from deep, Tyler 2/4 from deep but otherwise, Roberson didn't shoot the ball well. BJ was 6/8 inside the arch and 8/11 overall. Very nice!

Also deciphered ( :) ) looks like Roberson had 1 block, 2 assists while BJ had 1 block and an assist. Once my code cracking team has finished, I will...well, I'm not sure what I'll do. After all, it's all Estonian to me.
:eek:

I agree with you for the part. I'm not sure we are going to see BJ playing the 2 spot. He seems too tall for that. I was thinking he would be at the 3 spot along with G and TR. Chris Mac, Rak, and Obokoh would be playing the 4 and 5 spots (assuming Coleman red-shirts this season).

Last year's zone was just okay. But two years ago with Triche and MCW at the top of the zone was just amazing defense! It seemed like no matter where teams would try to make a pass someone would step in and steal the ball! This usually lead to a run out and a fast break basket. I miss the old days!

I was thinking BJ as a 3 mostly this season as well. MikeG as the backup guard.

Triche and MCW were great up top. Dion and Scoop were good at jumping passing lanes and Andy was also an excellent defender.

So great to see both players--who I figure to both be very important cogs this upcoming season--performing at a high level on this Estonia tour. Comparatively speaking, and I'm not saying this to put down Silent G, but Gbinije didn't put up a lot of points when he participated last year, and then came into the season as a fairly limited scorer.

I think these two sons are going to provide a much-needed infusion of offense, versatility, and outside shooting next year. Book it.

Last edited: