Liverpool CC Golf going the way of the DoDo bird? | Syracusefan.com

Liverpool CC Golf going the way of the DoDo bird?

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
It sure looks that way.

This calendar year alone the CNY area has already seen three golf courses close.

It started this spring when Lafayette Hills failed to open. (formerly known as Lafayette CC)

In April the grass was over a foot tall, I can't imagine what it looks like today.

When Mike Morocco bought the place from Jeff Sluman & Dudley Hart there were rumors that the new owner was going to develop it into real estate.

There are folks who claim to have paid for this season who were left holding the bag.

The next shoe to drop was Riverside golf course in Brewerton. They were on this years WSYR Golf Card. I went there in September only to see a huge sign that showed an asking price of $950,000. From what I understand a developer purchased the course.

In September another course closed, this one in Sauquoit NY called Sulphur Springs. It too was on the Channel 9 golf card. The owners of Barker Brook golf course in Oriskany Falls had leased it for three years and said they couldn't make any money on it. They couldn't get a hold of the owner so they sent a registered letter to his address in India.

Just the other day the nurse who administered my flu shot said that her husband & son were saddened to hear that Liverpool CC was being sold to developers. They went to pay their 2014 memberships but were told by one of the owners that the course was going away. The owners are getting up in age and tried selling the course as a golf course, they got no takers. Several years ago they tried to sell the adjacent land they own to Walmart, the town of Salina turned down that effort. They recently tried to sell it to a company who was going to make it into a truck stop. That too was nixed by the town.

Liverpool CC is the only local golf course that is open year round, weather provided. They have done a super job with irrigation so that even after a torrential down pour the course is quickly playable. IMHO, as a public golf course, their greens are the best in CNY. Some folks have complained about the owners and that they are greedy. It is true that they jacked the rates a bit during the winter but I never minded paying a little extra for the convenience of playing minutes from my home.

I hate to see another green space and a place where many of us have had great times go the way of the Do Do bird.

Once it's gone, it's gone for good.

Last edited:
It sure looks that way.

This calendar year alone the CNY area has already seen three golf courses close.

It started this spring when Lafayette Hills failed to open. (formerly known as Lafayette CC)

In April the grass was over a foot tall, I can't imagine what it looks like today.

When Mike Morocco bought the place from Jeff Sluman & Dudley Hart there were rumors that the new owner was going to develop into real estate.

There are folks who claim to have paid for this season who were left holding the bag.

The next shoe to drop was Riverside golf course in Brewerton. They were on this years WSYR Golf Card. I went there in September only to see a huge sign that showed an asking price of $950,000. From what I understand a developer purchased the course.

In September another course closed, this one in Sauquoit NY called Sulphur Springs. It too was on the Channel 9 golf card. The owners of Barker Brook golf course in Oriskany Falls had leased it for three years and said they couldn't make any money on it. They couldn't get a hold of the owner so they sent a registered letter to his address in India.

Just the other day the nurse who administered my flu shot said that her husband & son were saddened to heat that Liverpool CC was being sold to developers. They went to pay their 2014 memberships but were told by one of the owners that the course was going away. The owners are getting up in age and tried selling the course as a golf course, they got no takers. Several years ago they tried to sell the adjacent land they own to Walmart, the town of Salina turned down that effort. They recently tried to sell it to a company who was going to make it into a truck stop. That too was nixed by the town.

Liverpool CC is the only local golf course that is open year round, weather provided. They have done a super job with irrigation so that even after a torrential down pour the course is quickly playable. IMHO, as a public golf course, their greens are the best in CNY. Some folks have complained about the owners and that they are greedy. It is true that they jacked the rates a bit during the winter but I never minded paying a little extra for the convenience of playing minutes from my home.

I hate to see another green space and a place where many of us have had great times go the way of the Do Do bird.

Once it's gone, it's gone for good.
http://youtu.be/tvtJPs8IDgU

Good starter course. They just never took care of the grounds at Liverpool like they should have. Some of their problems were due to lack of drainage and building it on a swamp. Almost every course in CNY is hurting for members.

Just like the Chiefs attendance there are a few short term solutions but a lack of viable long term solutions without a better economy.

I will miss driving by and seeing it snow but golfers out there hacking up the course. It was vintage Syracuse.

I was in a group that was flicked off by one of the owners. They were playing with a sevensome and we were in a tournament behind them. One of the guys I was playing with asked what gives and the told us to shove it and gave us the bird. I was suprised to find out it was an owner.

Liverpool always opened when no one else was and the course took a beating because of it. They didn't take care of the course even allowing carts when no other course would dare. Too bad , the location was great for access though. I bet with the small course on Rte 31 and the development of Timber Bank, Liverpool's usage probably really dropped.

The best greens we ever played on was at a small 9 hole course in Cato, NY. We went a few times with some golf pros who suggested this course specifically because of the greens. The course itself had a few holes that had poor fairway drainage when it was rainy and conversely could be very dry when rain was lacking. Since I've had cervical issues, we haven't played there in about 10 years. Back then it was owned by an elderly couple who probably aren't around anymore.

Similar thing happened to
Liverpool always opened when no one else was and the course took a beating because of it. They didn't take care of the course even allowing carts when no other course would dare. Too bad , the location was great for access though. I bet with the small course on Rte 31 and the development of Timber Bank, Liverpool's usage probably really dropped.

The best greens we ever played on was at a small 9 hole course in Cato, NY. We went a few times with some golf pros who suggested this course specifically because of the greens. The course itself had a few holes that had poor fairway drainage when it was rainy and conversely could be very dry when rain was lacking. Since I've had cervical issues, we haven't played there in about 10 years. Back then it was owned by an elderly couple who probably aren't around anymore.
What really killed Liverpool was Foxfire's $20 w/cart everyday senior special. Noble's forced many CNY courses to lower rates. Conversely the owner of Lafayette Hills drove reciprocal prices up by getting all courses to charge a flat $20 rate rather than the normal cart rate which varied from $12-16. He's out of business and Foxfire is still thriving.

Many of the problems you cited about the fairways at Liverpool getting ruined by using them in bad weather are now non-existant because of the great drainage they put in. When we have severe weather they don't allow carts. If Liverpool does indeed go bye, bye then Canadians are going to have longer trips to find open courses.

Have played Cato a number of times when we had several hours between softball games at CIMARF. Those greens were like putting on glass. The son of the owner got his experience taking care of greens in Florida. He took extraordinary care and made sure they were watered at 4AM everyday there was no rain.

Liverpool was a good course. It was not that difficult, but it was a fun play The conditions were not nearly as bad as some have made it out to be in this thread Amazed that is will be gone. Thats kind of sad actually, i grew up on that course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom