LOI's IN and Still to go | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LOI's IN and Still to go

We had room for 3 more.
Do you think it is by design that we keep a couple of schollies dry, just in case a big name pops up after LOI day or for transfers? Just wondering. Why else wouldn't we fill up?

Do you think it is by design that we keep a couple of schollies dry, just in case a big name pops up after LOI day or for transfers? Just wondering. Why else wouldn't we fill up?

Fill up with who?

Presumably, all of the kids we were actively recruiting have signed somewhere. Unless there is a really unusual situation [Jay Bromley], I'm not in favor of expending the scholarships just to get warm bodies.

Fill up with who?

Presumably, all of the kids we were actively recruiting have signed somewhere. Unless there is a really unusual situation [Jay Bromley], I'm not in favor of expending the scholarships just to get warm bodies.

The angst is that we turned away guys interested a month ago because we were full. You are never full.

LOI In
A Broyld
M Davis
B Barrett
J Emerich
K Knapp
M Coleman
M Hilliard
J Manley
G Morris
J Parris
A Cornelius
D Ford
J Washington
O Palmer
B Lewis
D McFarlane
R Norton
J Whigham
R Thompson
W Morgan
Z Jones
MPB

Done
Has Whitehurst ditched us as suspected? I think "Thompson is listed above Morgan so thats positive.

What is the overall take on the class?
I think the class is above average but can improve next an subsequent years. more 4s and a five or two to impact on day 1. Fill us in on Jerry please Jerry. I still believe a bad mistake on Doug's part. Considerong the offense I think I am correct in that assessment.:(

Jerry, is your son Trey? If so, how is he doing?

Yes, he is..most on here are most likely tired of hearing about him but I will summarize for you. He was all conference, all region and all american (2 different teams) and has had a BLESTO scout (representing the Lions) contact the school and he will be coming to see him at spring ball. Therefore if he stays healthy things are good. Thank you for asking.

We still love the Orange !

I think the class is above average but can improve next an subsequent years. more 4s and a five or two to impact on day 1. Fill us in on Jerry please Jerry. I still believe a bad mistake on Doug's part. Considerong the offense I think I am correct in that assessment.:(

Cali, miss you buddy !! As you can read above Trey is doing well. Had solid receiving and return stats.

The angst is that we turned away guys interested a month ago because we were full. You are never full.

That's not a position I am arguing against.

The only logical reason for hanging onto scholies is to balance classes. Otherwise, I'm at a loss to see why you'd intentionally leave them open.

But this should be a cautionary tale about why numbers are never quite as they seem. This incoming class alone has a couple of guys who count against last year's numbers, a guy who is a non-qualifier situation [Barnwell] due to academics / going the prep school route, a commitment vanish who will never qualify [Smallwood], another player [Garrick] who was likely told that there isn't room at the inn, despite the fact that we've got open scholarships to play with, and three decommits who ended up elsewhere [Brantley Owens, Whitehurst].

Stuff like this happens every year. The number of open scholarships isn't just the number of openings you have--precisely because of the above. The coaches could and should have secured commitments from 3-4 extra players that they had graded highly, and then just let the numbers work themselves out. And on the rare occasions that you have a scholarship pinch or two, then grayshirting becomes an option, as well as intentional placement in prep school.

Yes, he is..most on here are most likely tired of hearing about him but I will summarize for you. He was all conference, all region and all american (2 different teams) and has had a BLESTO scout (representing the Lions) contact the school and he will be coming to see him at spring ball. Therefore if he stays healthy things are good. Thank you for asking.

We still love the Orange !

Congrats to Trey, Jerry. Really wish we could have had your son out there these past few years--there's no doubt in my mind he would have made an impact at WR for the Orange.

Orange Fizz is reporting Garrick didn't sign because SU doctors are looking at an ACL injury suffered in his last game

I wonder if we save these schollies for next year or if the staff has their eye on some late additions?

Cali, Marrone had nothing to do with Trey leaving SU. Jerry has already confirmed that.

Bees, this is exactly why I was upset because we turned away some 3 star recruits who were interested in us. I was blasted by some on here for not trusting in Marrone and for my affection for stars. I would rather have some warm bodies in here than leave 3 seats open. Ugh!

The only logical reason for hanging onto scholies is to balance classes. Otherwise, I'm at a loss to see why you'd intentionally leave them open.

But this should be a cautionary tale about why numbers are never quite as they seem. This incoming class alone has a couple of guys who count against last year's numbers, a guy who is a non-qualifier situation [Barnwell] due to academics / going the prep school route, a commitment vanish who will never qualify [Smallwood], another player [Garrick] who was likely told that there isn't room at the inn, despite the fact that we've got open scholarships to play with, and three decommits who ended up elsewhere [Brantley Owens, Whitehurst].

Stuff like this happens every year. The number of open scholarships isn't just the number of openings you have--precisely because of the above. The coaches could and should have secured commitments from 3-4 extra players that they had graded highly, and then just let the numbers work themselves out. And on the rare occasions that you have a scholarship pinch or two, then grayshirting becomes an option, as well as intentional placement in prep school.

BINGO RF! That is why you oversign and let the numbers work themselves out. Hence my disappointment we let some recruits go to other schools. Shame. Bad planning by the staff.

The problem as I can possibly see it is management and analysis of the spaces available. If there is a "screw up it can cost you big.Obviously there was an error in anticipated openings compounded by the kids kicked off the program. But that kind of issue has to be factored into the big picture. Sometims the facts are that the people involved aren't always going to be "rocket surgeons".:crazy:

Better day than expected, but no real surprise. I think they keep the slots that they have left, fill them with Garrick if he checks out injury wise, and maybe one of the holdouts. There are alwyas those players released from scholarship from the big universities last minute too. Otherwise you hold them to next year. Is Sales still holding a scholarship? This would be his 5th year if he returns, no?

We decommitted from a Virginia linebacker Darius Parsons. At the time we told him that we were over committed. At the same time there were some concerns with his grades. He has a teammate, class of 2014 Da' Shawn Hand who we had targeted. I believe we backed off of Tyronne Neal & Lakeith Walls because we were filled. I think there were others as well.

My guess is we fill prior to fall. Only two or three and they will pick up a kid here and there. I actually dont mind holding one back for the Bromleys of the world. three is a little much

I doubt that Doug and his coaches make the same mistake of mismanaging their offers again. At least I hope not. It appears that even with "grade concerns" we have a number that require prep school work before arriving. I just hope they recommit to us. Is there anyone better than John Garcia on the old site for providing information on theprograms?:)

We decommitted from a Virginia linebacker Darius Parsons. At the time we told him that we were over committed. At the same time there were some concerns with his grades. He has a teammate, class of 2014 Da' Shawn Hand who we had targeted. I believe we backed off of Tyronne Neal & Lakeith Walls because we were filled. I think there were others as well.

Hindsight is 20/20, but with Garrick and Bryan Johnson still out there, that would bring us back to 1 scholarship left. It's hard to turn away good players, and I agree that we could have "oversigned" and hoped for the best... not sure that's the best plan because of the difficulties that it brings when you get to the fall and don't have room for everyone (see http://oversigning.com/testing/).

On the other side of the argument, this does play into whether we have a full complement of 85 scholarship players in the Fall. Even with 3 more recruits getting us to 85, that full list of 85 includes Marcus Sales, Johnny Miller, and Terrell Hunt. I'm not sure if any or all will be back from suspension (I think Keon Lynn is already done with his suspension). I would guess that Hunt will be back, but the other 2 are a toss up.

Normal attrition (academic, injuries, trouble :bang: , etc) will probably take a few more players out before the Fall, so I'm guessing that when camp starts up for the season, the numbers will be around 80 able bodies...

Wasn't 2013 supposed to be the big year, recruiting wise? Maybe there are some 2013 commitments that the staff know about that can come in Spring semester and those would fit into this class. The fact is unless there is s0meone here that has knowledge of the workings of the war room, we have no idea.

As someone else pointed out the numbers work themselves out. And who knows if any of the walk ons earned themselves a scholarship. Who knows if we cooled on recruits because of grades or lack of progress in their senior year. There are lots of unknowns as to why we backed of the recruits that we did. I have to have faith in Doug and his staff. If there is no faith in them, why keep them around aside from the salary we are paying them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom