LOL at Casual Hoya | Syracusefan.com

LOL at Casual Hoya

shandeezy7

Living Legend
The clowns that run that site are back at it again (remember that whole Georgetown is a more relevant program than Syracuse thing?). Well now they are stating that Syracuse is the next Boston College, and our hoops program will be destroyed by our move to the ACC:

http://www.casualhoya.com/2012/12/1...orgetown-hoyas-syracuse-orange-boston-college

I seriously would love to know what these guys are smoking over there. It's like the real world doesn't exist, and some Narnia fantasy land is constantly playing in their heads.

The funny thing is that there are more people in that picture of the room in the post than there are Georgetown fans at their own games. I havent said this in a long time but...

F Georgetown.

They are mad because they can't recruit at a high level. Their future is mid major and they know it, all thanks to Syracuse the linchpin of the Big East. By leaving the Big East they left Georgetown in the dust.

Key difference is nobody cares about BC. Syracuse has so many fans in the North East it will actually help BC fill their home games.

BC went to because they fired Al Skinner and hired a guy that was used to recruiting under the radar smart guys at Cornell. Skinner had great connections around there and although he got outrecruited a lot, he still was able to land a couple good players here and there. Their fan support has always been suspect and that plays a role as well.

DiFillipo ran that program into the ground because he didn't know what he was doing. Honestly if I'm BC I hire a guy like Ed Cooley to turn that program around because Steve Donahue sure isn't going to work long term.

I'm just curious in what alternate reality they live, where Boston College was a model of consistency that made many deep NCAA tourney runs. In the universe I inhabit, they were a model of mediocrity that made one NCAA sweet 16 after 1985 -and that came after they'd already left the Big East for the ACC (2006). Plus they have a whopping zero Final Fours. And on their best day they are the fifth biggest sports story in Boston.

" For decades, Boston College was one of the most consistent winners in college basketball. A steady stream of overachieving stars - John Bagely, Michael Adams, Dana Barros, the Curley boys and Jared Dudley - routinely brought home 20 win seasons and long runs into the NCAA tournament."

Here are your long runs in the NCAA Tournament...
2009 - Lost 1st Round
2007 - Lost 2nd Round
2006 - Lost Sweet 16
2005 - Lost 2nd Round
2004 - Lost 2nd Round
2002 - Lost 1st Round
2001 - Lost 2nd Round
1997 - Lost 2nd Round
1996 - Lost 2nd Round
1994 - Lost Elite 8
1985 - Lost Sweet 16

" For decades, Boston College was one of the most consistent winners in college basketball. A steady stream of overachieving stars - John Bagely, Michael Adams, Dana Barros, the Curley boys and Jared Dudley - routinely brought home 20 win seasons and long runs into the NCAA tournament."

2009 - Lost 1st Round
2007 - Lost 2nd Round
2006 - Lost Sweet 16
2005 - Lost 2nd Round
2004 - Lost 2nd Round
2002 - Lost 1st Round
2001 - Lost 2nd Round
1997 - Lost 2nd Round
1996 - Lost 2nd Round
1994 - Lost Elite 8
1985 - Lost Sweet 16

I've had longer runs on the toilet.

BC went to because they fired Al Skinner and hired a guy that was used to recruiting under the radar smart guys at Cornell. Skinner had great connections around there and although he got outrecruited a lot, he still was able to land a couple good players here and there. Their fan support has always been suspect and that plays a role as well.

DiFillipo ran that program into the ground because he didn't know what he was doing. Honestly if I'm BC I hire a guy like Ed Cooley to turn that program around because Steve Donahue sure isn't going to work long term.

I'm very grateful to Gene D for ruining BC athletics. If we're being honest, it should be UConn in the ACC with us- UConn is a state school with an elite program in a revenue sport. BC belongs with the Catholics.

When the highlight of your basketball program is your hate for another program, you have reached irrelevancy.

2009 - Lost 1st Round
2007 - Lost 2nd Round
2006 - Lost Sweet 16
2005 - Lost 2nd Round
2004 - Lost 2nd Round
2002 - Lost 1st Round
2001 - Lost 2nd Round
1997 - Lost 2nd Round
1996 - Lost 2nd Round
1994 - Lost Elite 8
1985 - Lost Sweet 16

11 tourneys in 28 years = No bueno.

Model of consistency? BC? Say wha?

I havent said this in a long time but...

F Georgetown.

I think you'll find that the more you say it, the better you'll feel. Never fails to put a smile on my face when I'm feeling down.

11 tourneys in 28 years = No bueno.

Model of consistency? BC? Say wha?

That Georgetown education seems to be vastly overrated.

What's also forgotten is that BC's 1999 team was one of the worst in Big East history. That team was Constantine Popa bad.

The premise of the article and the notion that we're the "next BC" is absurd. That said, I do sort of wonder about the future of this program post-Big East. I think players/kids liked that conference and it's ties to NYC and the northeast. I'm sure we'll be fine but this is now a different program and will be looking for a new identity.

As long as JB is here, we're good. We're probably good far beyond that, but it will be interesting to see what changes the move to much more far-flung, random conference bring about.

And, as crazy as casual hoya fan is, it's hard not to see at least some parallels between us and BC -- private schools with good athletic programs hoping to see a huge bump in revenue and, presumably, performance on the field/court. Nothing is guaranteed.

What's also forgotten is that BC's 1999 team was one of the worst in Big East history. That team was Constantine Popa bad.

We beat them by 40 in the Big East tournament that season (and we weren't that good, either - had double-digit losses and were the first team to lose in the NCAAs). It was like one of our November cupcake games.

The premise of the article and the notion that we're the "next BC" is absurd. That said, I do sort of wonder about the future of this program post-Big East. I think players/kids liked that conference and it's ties to NYC and the northeast. I'm sure we'll be fine but this is now a different program and will be looking for a new identity.

As long as JB is here, we're good. We're probably good far beyond that, but it will be interesting to see what changes the move to much more far-flung, random conference bring about.

And, as crazy as casual hoya fan is, it's hard not to see at least some parallels between us and BC -- private schools with good athletic programs hoping to see a huge bump in revenue and, presumably, performance on the field/court. Nothing is guaranteed.

BC's problems are self inflicted. Two ACCCG appearances and they fire Jagz for having the audacity to interview for the Jets job. Fire Skinner after a few mediocre years when he previously had the program at a high level. Turn down Cooley and his New England recruiting ties for Donahue.

Nothing is guaranteed, but our basketball program has fan support that all but a handful of schools dream about. We're like an SEC football factory in that regard. We also recruit at a higher level than BC ever has. Look at what we have coming in the next two years with Ennis and McCullough along with the other solid 4 year guys that are committed.

Also, there's a pretty big Big East flavor in the ACC. Louisville, Pitt, Notre Dame and Syracuse are going to shake up the perception of that conference. Kids are going to be falling over themselves to play in the ACC with those schools plus Duke, Carolina and NC State. This could rival the depth we've seen in the BE since Louisville joined.

BC's problems are self inflicted. Two ACCCG appearances and they fire Jagz for having the audacity to interview for the Jets job. Fire Skinner after a few mediocre years when he previously had the program at a high level. Turn down Cooley and his New England recruiting ties for Donahue.

Nothing is guaranteed, but our basketball program has fan support that all but a handful of schools dream about. We're like an SEC football factory in that regard. We also recruit at a higher level than BC ever has. Look at what we have coming in the next two years with Ennis and McCullough along with the other solid 4 year guys that are committed.

Also, there's a pretty big Big East flavor in the ACC. Louisville, Pitt, Notre Dame and Syracuse are going to shake up the perception of that conference. Kids are going to be falling over themselves to play in the ACC with those schools plus Duke, Carolina and NC State. This could rival the depth we've seen in the BE since Louisville joined.

I don't disagree with any of that, except perhaps the idea that there's much truly "big east" about the ACC. Pitt, Cuse and BC help but there's hefty dose of southern schools. I think the UMD loss hurts, though that's being selfish b/c it's the closest to me geographically.

But while everything you say is true, I still view BC as something of a cautionary tale. I mean, there are many here who flipped out when they left and we were left behind and not only are we -- despite financial disadvantages -- waaaaayyyy ahead of where BC is in hoops and football, we're much better positioned going forward.

So my point is more that, while it's great to have more money rolling in, I'm not sure we're that much better off than we were a couple years ago. I suppose I"m a natural skeptic, I still get concerned when you leave a truly proven commodity (BE basketball, even in it's expanded, somewhat unwieldy form) for a conference that is trying to figure out what it is. It's just unsettling somehow.

WOW! a constantine popa reference...my week is now complete. love it

please tell me im not the only one who referred to him as Constipated Poopa. Childish as that may have been i did it.

I don't disagree with any of that, except perhaps the idea that there's much truly "big east" about the ACC. Pitt, Cuse and BC help but there's hefty dose of southern schools. I think the UMD loss hurts, though that's being selfish b/c it's the closest to me geographically.

But while everything you say is true, I still view BC as something of a cautionary tale. I mean, there are many here who flipped out when they left and we were left behind and not only are we -- despite financial disadvantages -- waaaaayyyy ahead of where BC is in hoops and football, we're much better positioned going forward.

So my point is more that, while it's great to have more money rolling in, I'm not sure we're that much better off than we were a couple years ago. I suppose I"m a natural skeptic, I still get concerned when you leave a truly proven commodity (BE basketball, even in it's expanded, somewhat unwieldy form) for a conference that is trying to figure out what it is. It's just unsettling somehow.

most confusing/talking in circles post i have read in weeks.

most confusing/talking in circles post i have read in weeks.

Ha! I have a tendency to do that. I just basically don't feel like we're headed to some promised land in the ACC. It's fine. We have to do it. But leaving the big east behind -- at least in hoops -- bums me out. I'm also not entirely sure if we're really in that much more stable a position.

I added a response to the Casual Hoya article:

"The Fox and the Grapes
Well, if departing the Big East for the ACC is the “Kiss of Death” for a school’s basketball program, then this information has got to be shared with the many Hoya fans that are suggesting that Georgetown ought to approach the ACC for membership. These people are obviously trying to drive the GU BB program off of a cliff.

One wonders what the authors motivation is for writing this piece. Is he or she really trying to signal to the “GU to the ACC” crowd to stop even suggesting that because its suicidal? Is it concern over the future of the poor Syracuse fans, who will have to suffer through this rather rapid descent into irrelevance?

It couldn’t be that this is a variation on “those grapes aren’t any good anyway” theme of the folk story? It couldn’t be that the author, in order to choke down the bitter pill of being left behind, has invented this spiteful logic path to help himself feel better?

What Syracuse or BC or Pitt do or don’t do in the ACC shouldn’t be any concern of the GU crowd. GU has bigger problems than what happens to Syracuse basketball.