LOL these guys just cant help themselves | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

LOL these guys just cant help themselves

If you have to cite a 2005 game against a Texas Tech team that went 15-17 to prove we play a tough nonconference schedule, then you're not doing well.

If you have to cite a 2005 game against a Texas Tech team that went 15-17 to prove we play a tough nonconference schedule, then you're not doing well.
So what was the criteria, 1 year 3 years 1 decade? I guess I'm not up to speed on what the criteria is for this argument. I know the media has had it out for our schedule pre 2005.

That's what our pre-season tournaments are for, although the last couple have been lesser opponents, IMO. Three OOC games against ranked opponents is more than all but 3 or 4 teams play against in the pre-season. And the teams that do load up, when they're from the SEC, they almost have to do it to be considered serious on the national stage, because Kentucky or Florida have less quality opposition during their regular season than the other power conferences do.

How many times have we played 3 OOC games against ranked opponents? Not trying to play gotcha, trying to remember. (I guess it also depends if you define them as ranked at the time, ever ranked, etc. UNC was ranked in 2009 but they turned out to not be any good).

The 2008 season I believe we did; certainly Kansas and Memphis were.

Like I said, I'm pretty much totally fine with the schedule this year. I wish Arkansas was a little better (than what I think they are, at least), but a schedule like this works for me.

How many times have we played 3 OOC games against ranked opponents? Not trying to play gotcha, trying to remember. (I guess it also depends if you define them as ranked at the time, ever ranked, etc. UNC was ranked in 2009 but they turned out to not be any good).

The 2008 season I believe we did; certainly Kansas and Memphis were.

Like I said, I'm pretty much totally fine with the schedule this year. I wish Arkansas was a little better (than what I think they are, at least), but a schedule like this works for me.

Yes, the last couple seasons, our pre-season tournament has been a little weak.

The last time we played at least 3 ranked teams OOC was probably 2010, when we actually played 4. Cal (who was ranked) and North Carolina at the Garden, Florida in the Big East - SEC challenge, and then Memphis in January.

Then add in pretty good mid-majors like Oakland and Cornell when they had Wittman, and that was a damn good OOC schedule. The Big East was great that year, too. We probably had a top 5 SOS by the end of the year.

The last time we played at least 3 ranked teams OOC was probably 2010, when we actually played 4. Cal (who was ranked) and North Carolina at the Garden, Florida in the Big East - SEC challenge, and then Memphis in January.

Yeah, like I said, UNC was ranked but it turns out they sucked. We all didn't realize that until after we played them though, so we definitely got credit for it in the media. Don't remember if Memphis was ranked, but they didn't even make the tournament that year. Florida finished 45th in the Pomeroy ratings and was a 10 seed. Cal was good though, 8 seed, but 15th in Pomeroy.

Can't find the RPI SOS, Pomeory had us 44th that year (all games, not conf only, 139th non conf). 2009 we were 2nd overall, non-conf 13.

Edit: you're talking about it from the scheduling standpoint though, i presume, now that I think about it. So that's a different story; not like anyone expected UNC and Memphis not to be good when the games were scheduled

So what was the criteria, 1 year 3 years 1 decade? I guess I'm not up to speed on what the criteria is for this argument. I know the media has had it out for our schedule pre 2005.

OH GOOD POINT 15-17 TEAM SUPER TUFF.

Why should we play road games OOC and make less money? Our basketball team is our athletic departments meal ticket until the ACC checks start rolling in.

Even if we played @ Duke that would be 5k+ less people in Cameron than we will draw at the Dome vs Wagner.

the closest thing to a road game we'll see Syracuse play until traveling to Arkansas for the SEC/Big East Challenge.

The Orange are flying 3000 miles to play SDSU in San Diego. How much closer to a road game does it have to get before we don't have to suffer snarky comments about it not being a road game?

Yeah, like I said, UNC was ranked but it turns out they sucked. We all didn't realize that until after we played them though, so we definitely got credit for it in the media. Don't remember if Memphis was ranked, but they didn't even make the tournament that year. Florida finished 45th in the Pomeroy ratings and was a 10 seed. Cal was good though, 8 seed, but 15th in Pomeroy.

Can't find the RPI SOS, Pomeory had us 44th that year (all games, not conf only, 139th non conf). 2009 we were 2nd overall, non-conf 13.

Edit: you're talking about it from the scheduling standpoint though, i presume, now that I think about it. So that's a different story; not like anyone expected UNC and Memphis not to be good when the games were scheduled

Exactly. Going into the season, you can't ask for a much better schedule than that. There's no telling how teams turn out, but you never expect Carolina to be "bad".

the closest thing to a road game we'll see Syracuse play until traveling to Arkansas for the SEC/Big East Challenge.

The Orange are flying 3000 miles to play SDSU in San Diego. How much closer to a road game does it have to get before we don't have to suffer snarky comments about it not being a road game?

Ask poppy

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Ask poppy

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Like, say, perhaps actually possibly playing in another team's gym?

Look, it's a great game and a great opponent. But nobody needs to fool themselves and think this is a real road game.

It's not in SDSU's gym, I get it. That's as pedantic as it is significant when it comes to the ridiculous notion that "Syracuse never leaves the State of NY." I believe this thread was created mocking the notion that Syracuse just won't be travelling this year, when the article in question clearly points out trips to San Diego and Arkansas in the first month of the season. Pundits who harp on this tired notion like to have it both ways: A trip to San Diego is only "close" to a road game for the Orange (despite of the obvious travel burdens) while any game played on the Eastern Seaboard is deemed a virtual home game for Syracuse (due to, what I can only guess, is a lack of geographical knowledge).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom