look at that class | Syracusefan.com

look at that class

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
Syracuse: Cory Brooks, 6-1, 180, LB, Manalapan (N.J.); Tim Carignan, 6-4, 294, DT, Bishop Brady; (Concord, N.H.); Kadar Drame, 6-5, 280, OL/DL, Wilbur Cross (New Haven, Conn.); Xzavier Gaines, 6-4, 185, QB, Westfield (Houston); Jason Greene, 6-4, 255, OT, Somerville (N.J.); Stephen Gregory, 5-11, 163, DB, Curtis (Staten Island, N.Y.); Tommy Harris, 6-2, 220, DE, Atlantic (Delray Beach, Fla.); Cecil Howard, 6-3, 195, QB, McKeesport (Pa.); Ryan LaCasse, 6-3, 230. DE, Stoughton (Mass.); Larry McClain, 5-10, 185, DB, Forestville (Md.); Jared Pierce, 6-6, 275, OT, St. Joseph School (Trumbull, Conn.); Kellen Pruitt, 6-4, 215, LB, Gwynn Park (Brandywine, Md.); Alex Shor, 6-7, 225, TE, Arnold (Panama City, Fla); Justin Sujansky, 5-10, 210, PK, Valley Forge (Pa.) Military Academy; James Wyche, 6-5, 217, DE, Roosevelt (N.Y.); Keith Belton, 6-0, 217, FB, Northeast Mississippi CC; Jose Harris, 6-4, 225, LB, New Mexico Military Institute (Roswell, N.M.); Julian Pollard, 6-5, 250, DE, Bloomfield (Conn.); Billy Wilson, 6-4, 240, LB, Cegep Vanier College (Montreal, Quebec).

to me that was 100% hit or miss -- no middle ground

Yeah, the University of Buffalo wasn't very good that year...wait...these guys went to Syracuse?

Steve Gregory and James Wyche at least made it to the league. Kellen Pruitt wasn't bad either.

Everybody else...

Steve Gregory and James Wyche at least made it to the league. Kellen Pruitt wasn't bad either.

Everybody else...
didn't LaCasse spend a few minutes in the league as well?

Syracuse: Cory Brooks, 6-1, 180, LB, Manalapan (N.J.); Tim Carignan, 6-4, 294, DT, Bishop Brady; (Concord, N.H.); Kadar Drame, 6-5, 280, OL/DL, Wilbur Cross (New Haven, Conn.); Xzavier Gaines, 6-4, 185, QB, Westfield (Houston); Jason Greene, 6-4, 255, OT, Somerville (N.J.); Stephen Gregory, 5-11, 163, DB, Curtis (Staten Island, N.Y.); Tommy Harris, 6-2, 220, DE, Atlantic (Delray Beach, Fla.); Cecil Howard, 6-3, 195, QB, McKeesport (Pa.); Ryan LaCasse, 6-3, 230. DE, Stoughton (Mass.); Larry McClain, 5-10, 185, DB, Forestville (Md.); Jared Pierce, 6-6, 275, OT, St. Joseph School (Trumbull, Conn.); Kellen Pruitt, 6-4, 215, LB, Gwynn Park (Brandywine, Md.); Alex Shor, 6-7, 225, TE, Arnold (Panama City, Fla); Justin Sujansky, 5-10, 210, PK, Valley Forge (Pa.) Military Academy; James Wyche, 6-5, 217, DE, Roosevelt (N.Y.); Keith Belton, 6-0, 217, FB, Northeast Mississippi CC; Jose Harris, 6-4, 225, LB, New Mexico Military Institute (Roswell, N.M.); Julian Pollard, 6-5, 250, DE, Bloomfield (Conn.); Billy Wilson, 6-4, 240, LB, Cegep Vanier College (Montreal, Quebec).

I would say about 85% miss

I would say about 85% miss

So your definition of a miss is not making it to the NFL?

And if that's the case you've still overshot the mark.

Whatever happened to Xzavier Gaines? I don't remember. Larry McClain probably would have been the best player in that class had he made it. Thump was one of my favorites. Bad class overall though.

kader drame had a cup of coffee in the league

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

First of all, a little hyperbole never hurt anyone did it?

Second, let's go player-for-player (disclaimer -- one person's opinion on players value over four years):

Cory Brooks, 6-1, 180, LB, Manalapan (N.J.) - Moved positions multiple times, career special teamer. BUST
Tim Carignan, 6-4, 294, DT, Bishop Brady; (Concord, N.H.) - Changed from DT to OL - Never played. BUST
Kadar Drame, 6-5, 280, OL/DL, Wilbur Cross (New Haven, Conn.) - Earned 3 letters; Wasn't great but wasn't completely awful. AVERAGE
Xzavier Gaines, 6-4, 185, QB, Westfield (Houston); Basketball walk-on, ended up transferring. BUST
Jason Greene, 6-4, 255, OT, Somerville (N.J.); Played a lot over course of his career, started entire senior season. ABOVE AVERAGE
Stephen Gregory, 5-11, 163, DB, Curtis (Staten Island, N.Y.); Obviously a guy still in NFL gets BOOM status, but a bit of a disappointment while at SU in my opinion. Switched positions.
Tommy Harris, 6-2, 220, DE, Atlantic (Delray Beach, Fla.);Mostly special teamer until senior year. BUST to AVERAGE
Cecil Howard, 6-3, 195, QB, McKeesport (Pa.);BUST BUST BUST
Ryan LaCasse, 6-3, 230. DE, Stoughton (Mass.); BOOM - All-BE player
Larry McClain, 5-10, 185, DB, Forestville (Md.);Never made it despite a lot of potential. BUST
Jared Pierce, 6-6, 275, OT, St. Joseph School (Trumbull, Conn.); What happened to him? BUST
Kellen Pruitt, 6-4, 215, LB, Gwynn Park (Brandywine, Md.); ABOVE AVERAGE
Alex Shor, 6-7, 225, TE, Arnold (Panama City, Fla); AVERAGE to BUST -- didn't really play until junior and senior year, had size but not much else.
Justin Sujansky, 5-10, 210, PK, Valley Forge (Pa.) Military Academy; forced into action but got hurt, never to be heard from again. BUST
James Wyche, 6-5, 217, DE, Roosevelt (N.Y.); BOOM - All-BE player, very good DE.
Keith Belton, 6-0, 217, FB, Northeast Mississippi CC; ABOVE AVERAGE to BOOM, but he was a JUCO so only two years of production.
Jose Harris, 6-4, 225, LB, New Mexico Military Institute (Roswell, N.M.); JUCO transfer did next to nothing BUST
Julian Pollard, 6-5, 250, DE, Bloomfield (Conn.); AVERAGE - Played all four years, didn't really have an impact for the most part - career backup.
Billy Wilson, 6-4, 240, LB, Cegep Vanier College (Montreal, Quebec) - Who? BUST

So we have 3 boom players in my opinion -- Gregory, Wyche and La Casse. Belton is close, but he was a JUCO and a FB unless you're Rob Konrad doesn't get a boom vote IMO. (4 Players above average and All-BE quality).

Then you have Kellen Pruitt, Jason Greene, Kadar Drame, Julian Pollard and maybe Tommy Harris and Alex Shor. All nice players, good depth guys but not guys IMO you would prefer to have starting. (6 Players around average).

And finally you have NINE guys who either never played, played sparingly, played for one year, or never even made it on campus. Nine of your 19 recruits were D-1AA caliber. Yikes.

Go, come on. Really? Did you look at that group?

Then you have Kellen Pruitt, Jason Greene, Kadar Drame, Julian Pollard and maybe Tommy Harris and Alex Shor. All nice players, good depth guys but not guys IMO you would prefer to have starting. (6 Players around average).

And finally you have NINE guys who either never played, played sparingly, played for one year, or never even made it on campus. Nine of your 19 recruits were D-1AA caliber. Yikes.

This is the thing people forget when they rag on recruiting -- Numbers matter. If we're getting a lot of decent, solid athletes it will be a big step up from the end of the P era when a huge number of players either never made it or stayed for a year or so and left. (I'm not knocking P -- at least I don't want to debate it. I understand he had many challenges.)

this class is a perfect example of this. And I'd suggest that you're actually being kind -- Pollard, Shor and Harris were extremely marginal players. I'm not knocking the kids, but they just didn't do much at all. We're really looking at LaCasse, Wyche and Gregory as really good players, Drame as a solid one and Belton as a good player, but one that made little impact. That's just not going to win you many games.

And just think, that was a class that was in high school when McNabb was at SU and we were winning big games and making BCS bowls.

Today's recruits have literally never known SU as anything but mediocre at best, shitty at worst.

Kellen Pruitt, 6-4, 215, LB, Gwynn Park (Brandywine, Md.); ABOVE AVERAGE

You are being generous. Pruitt stunk. Was one of the worst OLBs we have had in last 25 years.

And what was the story with Cecil Howard - was he a headcase or just someone who was grossly overrated by recruiting services? I believe he was ranked nationally as a top-25 recruit.

You are being generous. Pruitt stunk. Was one of the worst OLBs we have had in last 25 years.

Furthering my point. I gave a lot of leeway on a few of those guys. Outside of the DLinemen and Gregory, and Belton, none would play on any legit BCS team.