Looking on the bright side | Syracusefan.com

Looking on the bright side

Flacusian

All Conference
For myself this seasons start has been surprising in many ways. I went back and looked at some of the Iggy predictions that everyone made and it would seem to indicate that it's surprising for quite a few fans here.

Although we've won every game but one people have expressed a lot of concern and doubt as to how far this team will go. Certainly... there are problems. But at the same time there is much to be optimistic about. Here's what gives me some solace with respect to the problems, and what I see as being things to look forward to.

1. Shooting
The shooting, specifically from 3 has been horrific. I don't think anyone saw the 3 pt. shooting rising to this level of inefficiency. Some point to the fact that if we can't hit the 3 against the likes of the teams we've played so far, what will happen when we play against bigger, better athletes? When you go 0 for whatever, it simply can't get any worse. I believe that the 3 point shooting will come around and improve and in the meantime if we emphasize scoring down low and getting inside, that is where the teams real strength lies anyway. But when you aren't hitting ANY,things can only improve. Cooney will not miss every shot for the rest of the year.

2. KJ
It's apparent that he is not as ready for prime time as Ennis was but he brings other things to the table that Tyler did not. By all accounts he is a hard worker and is very coachable and he will improve steadilly. The ability to do the things we need him to do and to take care of the ball will get better as the game slows down for him and he becomes more comfortable.

3. Rak
Anyone who has watched the games to this point will have noticed that we are seeing the blossoming of Christmas as an offensive force. His game has improved dramatically from last year and he provides an answer for a team who's outside shots aren't falling. Rakeem, as the season progresses should be able to find a way to eliminate some of the calls. His ability to score is a huge improvement from him.

4. Chris McCullough
While he is wearing Orange he is one of the best talents in all of college basketball and so far he has shown us that he could be the type of player to carry the team. He plays with such ease that it often surprises me when I hear how many points he has during the game. Defensively he has shown that he tends to lapse from time to time but I believe that will change as we move forward.

5. Defense
While much has been made about the shooting woes of the team not enough has been said of the progress and potential that the defense has shown. It takes time for players to learn the subtle nuances JB's 2-3 one and all things considered they are making significant progress. While JB has experimented with different players in and out of the games there have been periods where the other teams have gone long stretches without being able to score. Some of that is due to inferior competition and some is due to the zone being effective. Last year we had a team which was scoring challenged and defense won many games for us. This year will be no different in that regard.

6. Youth
With so many new and young guys on the team is should be expected that we are going to have some bumps along the road this season. The upside of this is that we have some players who have the ability to show some dramatic progress both individually and as a team as we move forward. I've found that it's easier to enjoy the games when I don't bring the expectations I've had the past few seasons and instead focus on the prospect of this being a team that will be playing it's best basketball at the end of the season when it counts the most rather than early on with the attendant high ranking nationally.

LGO!!

Last edited:
Great post. I've noticed the same thing about McCullough. Totally different players but he kind of reminds me of Lawrence Moten in how you look at the stat sheet at the end of the game and see how many points he had and are like "How the heck did that happen?"

Good points. I also like the energy BJ brings. Does he continue to start when Roberson comes back. I hope so.

Good points. I also like the energy BJ brings. Does he continue to start when Roberson comes back. I hope so.

I like what BJ is doing also. Not shooting as well anybody had hoped but doing a good job hustling and great job on the boards.

For myself this seasons start has been surprising in many ways. I went back and looked at some of the Iggy predictions that everyone made and it would seem to indicate that it's surprising for quite a few fans here.

Although we've won every game but one people have expressed a lot of concern and doubt as to how far this team will go. Certainly... there are problems. But at the same time there is much to be optimistic about.

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...
...always look on the bright side
of life...
(Whistle)

Always look on the light side
of life...
(Whistle)

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle
- that's the thing.
And...always look on the bright
side of life...
(Whistle)

Come on.
Always look on the right side
of life...
(Whistle)

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain
with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the
audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance
anyhow.
So always look on the bright side
of death...
(Whistle)

a-Just before you draw your terminal breath...
(Whistle)

Life's a piece of , when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, keep 'em laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you
And...
Always look on the bright side
of life...
(Whistle)

of life...
C'mon Brian, cheer up
of life...
of life...
Worse things happen at sea you know.
I mean - what have you got to lose?
You know, you come from nothing
- you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing.
(I mean) of life...
what have you got to lose?
You know, you come from nothing
- you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost?
Always (Nothing.) look on the right side of life...
Nothing will come from nothing ya know what they say?
Cheer up ya old bugga c'mon give us a grin!
There ya go, see!
Always look on the right side of life...
(Cheer up ya old bugga c'mon give us a grin! At same time)
There ya go, see!

Last edited:
For myself, I'm kind of psyched about watching this team this season. Was at MSG or their only loss, and that hurt, but I've seen many reasons to believe this team develops into NCAA threat. Rak has jumped a bunch as an offensive player. I don't expect him to average 18 a game against the ACC, but he's a real threat to do so now. CMac is a force, and will only get better. He's the real deal. The need to focus on him will help Rak keep his production up. A long time since SU has had this kind of down low power. Yes, the outside shooting has sucked, but I can't believe it will continue to suck this much most of the time. The team will hit at least 30% from the three before long. Not impressive, but may be enough to win several close games. Joseph will calm down and adjust to the college game. He is a legitimate talent, and this will show as the season moves on. He lacks the Ennis poise at this point, but he will push the ball as Ennis seldom did, and as this team clearly needs. Watching this team develop may not be comfortable, but I think it will be fun. And after the Jets, Giants, SU football seasons, the bar is pretty low for the basketball season. Throw in the current status of the Knicks and Nets as low bar challenge.

I think we are in for a long season. I doubt we can beat any good team. Teams like Duke, the Ville, will toast us. If we are 10-3 ooc I won't be disappointed. I love Syracuse basketball and look forward to every season like a child looks forward to X-mas. But this will be a season like we haven't seen in a long time. WE don't shoot well. That won't change. Oh, we'll hit some 3's. Maybe have a real good game here and there. But shooting will b a problem all year. Our pt guard will have problems most of the year. He isn't ready. Not his fault. He should be a back up this year. But it is what it is. To put it simply, we are the team Syracuse has been beating all these years.

For myself, I'm kind of psyched about watching this team this season. Was at MSG or their only loss, and that hurt, but I've seen many reasons to believe this team develops into NCAA threat. Rak has jumped a bunch as an offensive player. I don't expect him to average 18 a game against the ACC, but he's a real threat to do so now. CMac is a force, and will only get better. He's the real deal. The need to focus on him will help Rak keep his production up. A long time since SU has had this kind of down low power. Yes, the outside shooting has sucked, but I can't believe it will continue to suck this much most of the time. The team will hit at least 30% from the three before long. Not impressive, but may be enough to win several close games. Joseph will calm down and adjust to the college game. He is a legitimate talent, and this will show as the season moves on. He lacks the Ennis poise at this point, but he will push the ball as Ennis seldom did, and as this team clearly needs. Watching this team develop may not be comfortable, but I think it will be fun. And after the Jets, Giants, SU football seasons, the bar is pretty low for the basketball season. Throw in the current status of the Knicks and Nets as low bar challenge.
Rak is getting better with each game. He will continue to chew it up during ACC competition. He will be bigger, stronger, quicker and more aggressivde than most of the other ACC centers. First round pick for sure.