Looks like Mark Coyle has quite the mess at Minnesota | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Mark Coyle has quite the mess at Minnesota

Good for him. I have 2 daughters - enough of this bullsht.

Clearly you want to avoid a Duke lax situation, but I see nothing wrong in suspending a kid until the facts are out. Not one.

This isn't innocent until proven guilty. These are kids not playing for a team until they figure it out.
This x 1000

I get it, he left our school unexpectedly. Something nobody was happy about.

BUT

By all accounts, he was a great guy. Took the time to individually address personal emails. Just a really decent guy.

Although it does seem like a little bit of karma, I'd never wish this upon a guy like Coyle. Who by the way, sold his @$$ off to get us Dino Babers.

And in the end, we got Wildhack. Someone I think will prove to be a long-term home run.
Great guy. Yeah, I don't think one of the parents on the board would agree with that.

Seriously. Now I've had a couple of pops here, but the jackleg that said my kids name has been tarnished or something to the effect -- really? How about the girl who was digging assulted?

Listen. Did she put herself in a good situation? No. Did she deserve to get assulted in front of half the team? F No.

Clearly you want to avoid a Duke lax situation, but I see nothing wrong in suspending a kid until the facts are out. Not one.

This isn't innocent until proven guilty. These are kids not playing for a team until they figure it out.
These situations are so difficult where there are no charges. Because the DA believed but felt couldn't get a conviction? Or didn't believe?

Seriously. Now I've had a couple of pops here, but the jackleg that said my kids name has been tarnished or something to the effect -- really? How about the girl who was digging assulted?

Listen. Did she put herself in a good situation? No. Did she deserve to get assulted in front of half the team? F No.
I don't know all the facts but if none of the players help stop it then fu ch that team. They deserve it and more. If I were Coyle I would forfeit the game and not attend. Zero tolerance

Great guy. Yeah, I don't think one of the parents on the board would agree with that.
To each their own. I know that I spoke with him more than once, and he impressed me.

Doesn't mean he was without fault. Hated the way he handled the firing of the last staff, thought it was gutless.

My lasting impression will be decent guy, took an offer he deemed better.

** on a separate note, I net Wildhack at a social function, guy blew me away. One of those people, to me at least, that was ultra impressive.

To each their own. I know that I spoke with him more than once, and he impressed me.

Doesn't mean he was without fault. Hated the way he handled the firing of the last staff, thought it was gutless.

My lasting impression will be decent guy, took an offer he deemed better.
I recall it was the manner of firing which was the issue.

I can understand due process applying to one's enrollment in a public (i.e. state) school, but does one have a right to "due process" with regard to athletics and other extracurricular activities?

I can understand due process applying to one's enrollment in a public (i.e. state) school, but does one have a right to "due process" with regard to athletics and other extracurricular activities?
"Privilege".

Assuming truth to the allegations, I think Coyle matters here because his actions can set a precedent at Minn for how these actions are dealt with. Where other AD's and HC's have turned a blind eye, or even worse, discouraged victims from speaking; Mark Coyle and Minnesota can stand up and show that this criminal behavior is inexcusable and won't be tolerated.

Shut them down for the season. Remove all 10 from the University. They're not made of the fabric I'd want representing my University.

Sympathizing with the victim is expected from any decent human being, encouraging admin to make a stand in the face of adversity is leadership. Mr. Winfield can take his ball and play elsewhere.

Last edited:
him, he's a millionaire who phucked Syracuse.

We are better off, but him anyway.

I do not doubt that the outcome of this situation can have a great influence on how similar situations are handled in the future.
"Privilege".

I think Coyle matters here because his actions can set a precedent at Minn for how these actions are dealt with. Where other AD's and HC's have turned a blind eye, or even worse, discouraged victims from speaking; Mark Coyle and Minnesota can stand up and show that this criminal behavior is inexcusable and won't be tolerated.

Shut them down for the season. Remove all 10 from the University. They're not made of the fabric I'd want representing my University.

Sympathizing with the victim is expected from any decent human being, encouraging admin to make a stand in the face of adversity is leadership. Mr. Winfield can take his ball and play elsewhere.

Quite simply no, unless the penumbra of the 14th amendment now covers the right to play college football... if the story is true then not only should the players be suspended but booted from the school.

I think it's working out nicely for SU with Wildhack.
Coyle is dead to me
upload_2016-12-15_23-15-4.jpeg

Coyle gave us Dino so IMO he did more for SU football than any AD in recent memory. From there we upgraded with an ESPN guy who bleeds orange and will do a better job marketing and getting us on TV.

As far as I'm concerned it was a win / win for us. I have no ill will towards Coyle anymore.

And honestly good for him to throw the book at a bunch of ahole guys abusing a young woman. Too many of these guys get away with that BS and it's disgusting already.

Due process? Did the young woman get due process ? I have no time for that nonsense.

Coyle gave us Dino so IMO he did more for SU football than any AD in recent memory. From there we upgraded with an ESPN guy who bleeds orange and will do a better job marketing and getting us on TV.

As far as I'm concerned it was a win / win for us. I have no ill will towards Coyle anymore.

And honestly good for him to throw the book at a bunch of ahole guys abusing a young woman. Too many of these guys get away with that BS and it's disgusting already.

Due process? Did the young woman get due process ? I have no time for that nonsense.

Agree 100%. Say what you want about Coyle and I agree the way he left was hirseshiite.. I hope he sticks to his guns and shuts it down for the year as well. I commend him for the way he has handled this.

10 players suspended. 5 for alllegedly s e xually attacking a drunk co-ed. 5 for cheering them on. And now players are protesting and calling for Coyle to resign because he suspended the non participants without what they claim was "due process" .

No idea who's right or wrong, but Coyle deserves the stress for bailing here.
there is some saying I have heard about karma being a b

10 players suspended. 5 for alllegedly s e xually attacking a drunk co-ed. 5 for cheering them on. And now players are protesting and calling for Coyle to resign because he suspended the non participants without what they claim was "due process" .

No idea who's right or wrong, but Coyle deserves the stress for bailing here.

I didn't remember the original suspensions, so here's an article for everyone with more of the backstory.

Gophers football players face expulsion, 1-year suspension over sexual assault allegation

Had to use a shortened link because of the title of the article, but it redirects to a local newspaper site.

I have two daughters as well, one of which will be going away to college in 2.5 years. These stories make me sick, but your post made me cheer. Loudly.

A few things:

Good for Coyle for putting his foot down. Until I read the detailed article I previously posted above, I knew nothing about the back story. There was a line of guys outside of a bedroom "waiting for their turn" with a girl who had drank a third of a bottle of vodka. They can rot for all I care.

The players claim there was an 'unjust title IX investigation without due process'. Nearly every article I have read says there was a thorough investigation that was performed. Their playing of the victim really makes my blood boil.

The statement they read was completely ridiculous. They wanted information from Coyle but only received misleading answers? (Players: "Hey AD, why are my teammates suspended?" AD: "They sexually assaulted a girl" -- what more do they need?) They think their constitutional rights are being violated? Speech, religion, press, and the right to play in the Holiday Bowl even when you show complete disregard for the well-being of others or your school's code of conduct.

I'm not sure what world Drew Wolitarsky is living in, but that's not a publicity stunt I'd want my name tied to for the rest of my life...

Last edited:
A few things:

Good for Coyle for putting his foot down. Until I read the detailed article I previously posted above, I knew nothing about the back story. There was a line of guys outside of a bedroom "waiting for their turn" with a girl who had drank a third of a bottle of vodka. They can rot for all I care.

The players claim there was an 'unjust title IX investigation without due process'. Nearly every article I have read says there was a thorough investigation that was performed. Their playing of the victim really makes my blood boil.

The statement they read was completely ridiculous. They wanted information from Coyle but only received misleading answers? (Players: "Hey AD, why are my teammates suspended?" AD: "They s e xually assaulted a girl" -- what more do they need?) They think their constitutional rights are being violated? Speech, religion, press, and the right to play in the Holiday Bowl even when you show complete disregard for the well-being of others or your school's code of conduct.

I'm not sure what world Drew Wolitarsky is living in, but that's not a publicity stunt I'd want my name tied to for the rest of my life...

But, isn't that the rub? An investigation by the police department was done, evidence was presented, prosecutors saw it, not charges were pressed precisely due to the evidence. Now, all of a sudden they've been suspended?

Full disclosure, I have an 18-year old daughter. Fortunately for me, her final year of high school and her job are the most important things in her life right now. She has had one boyfriend and ended it quickly when she realized what he was about. She has no interest in men or sex at this point in her life, believe it or not. That said, some girls do and some girls enjoy it for various reasons. It's not out the realm of possibility that this girl knew what she was doing and enjoyed every bit of it. It seems that that police department and prosecutor's office has come to that conclusion.

I just read this Christensen article (probably linked above as well)... sounds like gang rape to me. I recall VP Biden making quite a clear statement at an awards show (as well as a national tour) making it clear that "if she can't say 'no' then it's rape". You'd think that people, including UMN's football players, would've heard that. After the Baylor and Vanderbilt incidents you'd also think that athletic departments would remind all of their student athletes of this... every year.

By dialing things up, the other team members are forcing Coyle & Co. to withdraw from the bowl game. They simply can't allow that gang of rapists to play on the field. :(

I just read this Christensen article (probably linked above as well)... sounds like gang rape to me. I recall VP Biden making quite a clear statement at an awards show (as well as a national tour) making it clear that "if she can't say 'no' then it's rape". You'd think that people, including UMN's football players, would've heard that. After the Baylor and Vanderbilt incidents you'd also think that athletic departments would remind all of their student athletes of this... every year.

By dialing things up, the other team members are forcing Coyle & Co. to withdraw from the bowl game. They simply can't allow that gang of rapists to play on the field. :(

Ok, I don't really want to argue this issue, but how is it we come to two totally different conclusions after reading that article? 3 separate videos supported it was consensual. Prosecutors determined it was consensual based on the evidence presented. The women dropped any further ability to sue. I'm interested in hearing how you believe it was rape. Maybe I'm missing something.

But, isn't that the rub? An investigation by the police department was done, evidence was presented, prosecutors saw it, not charges were pressed precisely due to the evidence. Now, all of a sudden they've been suspended?

Full disclosure, I have an 18-year old daughter. Fortunately for me, her final year of high school and her job are the most important things in her life right now. She has had one boyfriend and ended it quickly when she realized what he was about. She has no interest in men or s e x at this point in her life, believe it or not. That said, some girls do and some girls enjoy it for various reasons. It's not out the realm of possibility that this girl knew what she was doing and enjoyed every bit of it. It seems that that police department and prosecutor's office has come to that conclusion.

The vast majority of girls don't want to get gang banged by a football team while others cheer them on.

With your daughter going to school soon, i strongly recommend you read the book Missoula by Jon Krakauer. It opened my eyes to acquaintance rape and just the long term effects of sexual assault on victims.

Really hope Coyle calls the players' bluff. Reasonable doubt is such a high standard, fortunately universities aren't bound by it.