Looks like no billy e Saturday | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like no billy e Saturday

I guess he gets a pass as does everyone on that 2002-03 team because they brought us a national championship, but if it wasn't for that i'm sure this response wouldn't be the same. He had 1 really good year, and then held the team hostage the next season as he let his skills diminish due to various reasons. I loved Billy E as a player as much as anybody, but he let down the basketball program, and more importantly himself. Hopefully he is doing better now.

Anybody know what McNeil is up to these days anyhow?

I guess he gets a pass as does everyone on that 2002-03 team because they brought us a national championship, but if it wasn't for that i'm sure this response wouldn't be the same. He had 1 really good year, and then held the team hostage the next season as he let his skills diminish due to various reasons. I loved Billy E as a player as much as anybody, but he let down the basketball program, and more importantly himself. Hopefully he is doing better now.

There are bigger things than basketball in life that can seriously impact people and the decisions they make.

He seems to be doing well: http://www.searchingforbillyedelin.com/2011/10/10/2463060/finding-billy-edelin

The guy was having serious problems; cut him some slack. Following your logic, a player who contracted cancer or someone who blew out a knee let down the team. Basketball is just a game, anomander; there are many more important things in life than 10 guys in short pants and wife beaters running around a wooden floor trying to put a leather ball into a modern peach basket. It's called entertainment. Besides, if there were no Edelen in 2003, there probably would not have been any NC. I hope we are better fans than those who would kill our wounded.

Edelin played a huge role in the National Championship and no real Syracuse fan will ever forget that. If you have anything negative to say about him on the eve of that team being honored you're not a true SU basketball fan tomorrow is not just about Carmelo its about the greatest season in our history and winning a National Championship. Its great to hear that he is doing well and still local, and he really deserves to be in the building and get a warm ovation. This thread is a good representation of how the fanbase feels about a player who had his issues but took us to the promised land I really hope he shows up. The national championship team was very raw and all the players were works in progress to certain extents, no chance in hell they win without Billy the Kid playing his best when it mattered, none.

Bids for my Free Billy T-Shirt?

Ronneil Herron has been living in North Carolina for the past six years and working for an electric power company, Duke Energy. Ronneil is an Engineer II- in the Asset Management/Distribution Planning area. Locally he played some softball at Hopkins Road Park. He's was a left handed hitter, he glided around the bases as quickly & smoothly as anyone, played shortstop and outfield. Very, very good player an excellent athlete and great kid.

On that Syracuse national championship he and Josh Pace were the fastest in the running drills. (I hardly missed a practice that year)

Ronneil was an excellent free throw shooter who's hard work on that skill earned him his moment in the Dome.

We were playing Michigan State and Josh Pace got injured on a hard foul. As Jim Boeheim paced up & down the bench looking for someone to take the shots, I told everyone within earshot that it would be Ronneil.

Sure enough JB signaled to Herron and his biggest moment as a walkon was about to become history.

In a close game he strode to the line looking a little bit tight. The first shot bounced on the rim....and went in. I can only imagine the adrenalin surging through his body at that moment.

Time for the second free throw....nothing but the bottom of the net. JB would immediately take him out.

Syracuse would make 559 free throws that season, Ronneil can be proud that his only two makes were on that list.

In high school his baseball talent was noticed by the Minnesota Twins. He opted to pursue a degree in engineering at SU instead. His sister was a poster on our board, I forget her board name.

Hopefully, Ronneil can be a part of this big day.

This is a total guess and I have no inside knowledge but I bet it's a case of Melo and Billy being good friends at Oak Hill, SU, etc. Then Melo gets rich, Billy runs into trouble. I'm guessing Melo and Billy grew out of touch from that point on and Billy feels kind of slighted since they were good friends before Melo got big. Sure there is other stuff too.
I just remember the rumblings about Edelin and GMac not really getting along, and Melo siding with Edelin for the reasons you stated. Obviously if they had any issues on the court it didn't matter in '03.

I just remember the rumblings about Edelin and GMac not really getting along, and Melo siding with Edelin for the reasons you stated. Obviously if they had any issues on the court it didn't matter in '03.

There was never a problem between Edelin and GMac.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I can't imagine any SU fan who thinks back to the "disappointment" of the 2004 and 2005 seasons and it overshadows the championship. Really, who cares? 2003 is all that matters from that era, and I couldn't care less about anything else. Anyone who contributed to the 2003 title is an SU legend, period.

The guy who was carrying our offense when the 3's dried up and Melo was banged up in the 2nd half of the national title game? He gets more than a "pass".

There was never a problem between Edelin and GMac.

Sent using my Commodore 64
Ok thanks. This was back when I still went to syracuse.com (eek).

He still lives here and he gives back to the community by coaching our kids. He's redeemed himself. And we don't win in 2003 without him. He would be embraced by that crowd today.

I can't imagine any SU fan who thinks back to the "disappointment" of the 2004 and 2005 seasons and it overshadows the championship. Really, who cares? 2003 is all that matters from that era, and I couldn't care less about anything else. Anyone who contributed to the 2003 title is an SU legend, period.

The guy who was carrying our offense when the 3's dried up and Melo was banged up in the 2nd half of the national title game? He gets more than a "pass".

ya and that's exactly my point. for the most part nobody would care if it was your average person who played 1 year for SU basketball. It's because he helped win the nat'l title everyone else would welcome him back. i specifically stated i hope he is doing well, and not just because he helped in 03.

ya and that's exactly my point. for the most part nobody would care if it was your average person who played 1 year for SU basketball. It's because he helped win the nat'l title everyone else would welcome him back. i specifically stated i hope he is doing well, and not just because he helped in 03.

I don't know, one of my favorite players to watch play - so even if we never win the title I'd be happy to have him back.

It's no different than someone like Michael Lloyd (he was referenced recently in a different thread) - I loved watching that kid play, seemed like a nice kid, so even though he did only play one year, and then left because of academic issues I'd still give that dude an ovation too if he came back for some random reason.

I wouldn't give Mike Jones an ovation. :)

I don't know, one of my favorite players to watch play - so even if we never win the title I'd be happy to have him back.

It's no different than someone like Michael Lloyd (he was referenced recently in a different thread) - I loved watching that kid play, seemed like a nice kid, so even though he did only play one year, and then left because of academic issues I'd still give that dude an ovation too if he came back for some random reason.

Plus Lloyd left allowing Laz to take over and lead us to the championship game.

Anyone know Winfred Walton's location?

Either one of them. ;)