Looks like no billy e Saturday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like no billy e Saturday

Billy, whatever his issues with SU or Melo, owes it to himself to come back to the Dome and let the fans show him how they feel.

Some folks may forget his role in that championship game and some of the games leading up to it.

Billy gave us some very strong minutes in the second half scoring 8 of his 12 points in the last 12 minutes. During that time Carmelo was held scoreless.

Edelin and Josh Pace kept attacking the basket.

Billy's floater was the last field goal Syracuse scored making it 80-77.

The final score was 81-78.

Billy......come back and let the fans show you the love that you deserve.

Which game was it where we made our big comeback in the tourney, Oklahoma St.? I remember him blocking 2 or 3 in a row when they broke our press. After that they stopped trying to even score against the press and just dribbled around to set up their halfcourt offense. One of my favorite memories of that run.

Ah, yes, I remember it well. I saw the first half in a bar in Georgetown waiting for my wife's conference to end. The team was being pulverized and the future looked bleak when I had to get in the car and drive home. Got the game briefly on the car radio, but it fuzzed out around Quantico. I lived in depressed ignorance until I found out the Orange pulled it out thanks to Jeremy. He's been one of my all-time favorites ever since. When I saw him so sad after the NC, I just wanted to give him a man-hug. When we're busy giving thanks for Melo, GMAC and Hak, don't ever forget Jeremy.-VBOF

McNeil was a beast protecting the basket when we would press. Don't think we've had anyone since that played that particular role any better

He had a higher vertical leap than Hakim.

We were down 17. Our "role players" carried us that game.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=234000041

McNeil 32 mins 4 points 7 boards 4 blocks
Pace 27 mins 6 points 8 boards 3 assists
Edelin 30 mins 20 points (8-12 shooting) 4 boards 2 assists

Forth only played 5 mins and Duany only played 7.

It was indeed 17. I had to watch that game by myself once the score got desperate; I didn't want negativity. Jeremy and that press was a thing of beauty. What a triumph that was!

That was the game that someone bloodied GMac and it was dripping down his face. That picture was everywhere, and I'll never forget it.

He lost his mother long before he came to SU. He was raised by his grandmother. He lost his grandmother around Thanksgiving of his senior year. He literally had no family to "walk" with him on Senior Night. So the entire team walked with him. It was a very touching moment.

According to Jeremy (on the Orange Odyssey), it was certainly his mother who died in autumn 2002.

Anyway, too bad about Billy. One of our Dome neighbors works with him; we encouraged her to implore him to show up, assured him that he'd get as loud an ovation as anyone. She said that she'd do her best, but thought it'd be a long shot.

According to Jeremy (on the Orange Odyssey), it was certainly his mother who died in autumn 2002.

Anyway, too bad about Billy. One of our Dome neighbors works with him; we encouraged her to implore him to show up, assured him that he'd get as loud an ovation as anyone. She said that she'd do her best, but thought it'd be a long shot.
I have a friend who's grandson is taking a series of basketball lessons with Billy. He has one thios afternoon. His mom is going to encourage Billy to attend. Question is could he get in?

I think he lost his mom during his time at SU, actually. I think maybe shortly before our championship season? I just remember when we won the title, some people commented on how he looked unhappy during the celebration, and it came to light that he was thinking about his mom and wishing she could have been there to see it, if I recall correctly.

Jeremy was one of the first people I met as a freshman at SU. Nice guy.

This is it.

And he was a nice, funny kid. Had an unusual affinity for remote-controlled cars. Super that he's coming back; he'll get a great reception.

I have a friend who's grandson is taking a series of basketball lessons with Billy. His mom is going to encourage Billy to attend. Question is could he get in?

Somebody must make that happen, right? Those folks don't use regular game tickets.

Billy is one of my all-time favorites. He gets a bad rap. The periodic quitting wasn't good, but he had a rough go of it. And it's water under the bridge, anyway.

Really hope someone comes through with that at the last minute. He deserves an ovation.

Which game was it where we made our big comeback in the tourney, Oklahoma St.? I remember him blocking 2 or 3 in a row when they broke our press. After that they stopped trying to even score against the press and just dribbled around to set up their halfcourt offense. One of my favorite memories of that run.

Jeremy had trouble in the half-court set where players might be coming at him from multiple directions. But in the back of the press, if there was a break-away, they'd have to come right at him and he'd eat them up.

Melo will be in the house, right?

2003 was his junior year. Kueth was the only senior on the team that year.

Billy was supposed to part of the 2001-2002 team but got suspended from school and then suspended from playing to begin the 2002-2003 year. He was an important part of our championship run and played very well in 2003-04. He played poorly in 2004-05 and never came back for what would have been his senior year, 2005-06. he should have been the perfect compliment to GMAC, allowing Gerry to assume his natural position of shooting guard but it never worked out.

so my memory is foggy on the 03-04 and 04-05 seasons... quickly looking at Billy's stats from those two seasons, it looks like he didn't finish out either of them...
I remember his early-on issues in 01-02 and then the start of the champ. season but what about his last two seasons?

so my memory is foggy on the 03-04 and 04-05 seasons... quickly looking at Billy's stats from those two seasons, it looks like he didn't finish out either of them...
I remember his early-on issues in 01-02 and then the start of the champ. season but what about his last two seasons?

He skipped a practice or two late in '03-'04 (right after the Providence loss, I think?) after playing quite well for the first part of the year. Missed a game, lost his starting job, then left after coming off the bench for a game.

Because this put him behind academically, he missed the first semester the next season in order to regain his eligibility and get his credits back up. Came back and was a completely different player. No-showed for the St. John's game in late February and that was that.

Though he stayed on the bench for much of the rest of the season (you can see him on the court during the celebration when we beat West Virginia in the Garden), he didn't play again and didn't return for his senior year.

He skipped a practice or two late in '03-'04 (right after the Providence loss, I think?) after playing quite well for the first part of the year. Missed a game, lost his starting job, then left after coming off the bench for a game.

Because this put him behind academically, he missed the first semester the next season in order to regain his eligibility and get his credits back up. Came back and was a completely different player. No-showed for the St. John's game in late February and that was that.

Though he stayed on the bench for much of the rest of the season (you can see him on the court during the celebration when we beat West Virginia in the Garden), he didn't play again and didn't return for his senior year.
thx

Also what this story said too...mother died 6 months before national championship, followed by his grandmother the next year...the entire team going with him during his senior day was an incredible moment, as CTO said.

http://dailyorange.com/2004/04/deal...remained-a-true-friend-to-those-who-knew-him/

I, too, was hoping someone could shed more light on this...
This is a total guess and I have no inside knowledge but I bet it's a case of Melo and Billy being good friends at Oak Hill, SU, etc. Then Melo gets rich, Billy runs into trouble. I'm guessing Melo and Billy grew out of touch from that point on and Billy feels kind of slighted since they were good friends before Melo got big. Sure there is other stuff too.

It would be nice if Billy was there but I really doubt he will be.

Sent using my Commodore 64

My favorite walk-on that year was Tyrone Albright. It would be great to see him, and Billy E of course.

It strikes me as odd that neither of them will be there since both live here locally. I always stop to chat with Billy whenever I see him. He's a great guy.