Looks like we are not recruiting Lynch anymore | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we are not recruiting Lynch anymore

I believe that most people on here agree that they would take the higher rated recruit -- even if ranked by Scout/Rivals. Get a clue.
Not I, I will take the kids that the coaches rate higher. You know, the guys that take more that 30 seconds evaluating these kids.

I believe that most people on here agree that they would take the higher rated recruit -- even if ranked by Scout/Rivals. Get a clue.
Most people on here can agree, but they would be wrong in some cases.

I have a clue. I trust a coach that watches and evaluates players over an idiot like Bob Litchenfels. We take the higher recruits as evaluated by our coaches. Thanks for your input though. The people on the board are much smarter than you give them credit for.

P.S. - How did taking the recruits ranked highly by Scout/Rivals work out for Miami 2-3 years ago?

I have a clue. I trust a coach that watches and evaluates players over an idiot like Bob Litchenfels. We take the higher recruits as evaluated by our coaches. Thanks for your input though. The people on the board are much smarter than you give them credit for.

P.S. - How did taking the recruits ranked highly by Scout/Rivals work out for Miami 2-3 years ago?

If we had those Miami recruits on Syracuse's present team, we would be sitting better than 5 wins right now.
Recruiting services aren't right about each prospect but as a whole they are usually spot on. If you look at the past national champions and compare the number of stars on their team versus inferior teams like ours, you will see a vast difference. You can't deny this. I trust Marrone's judgment, but cringe when I hear about a highly regarded recruit being told "no room." It's hard enough to get their attention much less tell them "no we aren't intersted in you."

I appreciate you paying so much attention to me recently.

If we had those Miami recruits on Syracuse's present team, we would be sitting better than 5 wins right now.
Recruiting services aren't right about each prospect but as a whole they are usually spot on. If you look at the past national champions and compare the number of stars on their team versus inferior teams like ours, you will see a vast difference. You can't deny this. I trust Marrone's judgment, but cringe when I hear about a highly regarded recruit being told "no room." It's hard enough to get their attention much less tell them "no we aren't intersted in you."

I appreciate you paying so much attention to me recently.

You realize those were the worst Miami teams because their coaches stopped evaluating and just went after the kids with the most stars, right? None of those teams were ranked, so no, stars didn't correlate. I

Obviously it sucks to see a guy with the offers like Neal get turned down, but you don't know if Parson graded higher on our staff's scale.

Also, confused as to why you have to act like a child. I'm giving you the reason we stopped recruiting this player.

Recruiting services aren't right about each prospect but as a whole they are usually spot on.

Huh? I'm OK with acknowledging that stars aren't entirely meaningless, but these services are usually spot on? I think any recruiting coordinator in teh country -- if speaking candidly -- would acknowledge that recruiting in general is, at best, an inexact science and that the services, while a valuable resource, are a LONG way from gospel on any level.

If you look at the past national champions and compare the number of stars on their team versus inferior teams like ours, you will see a vast difference. You can't deny this.

But this gets into a chicken-egg argument. I follow ND, they are ALWAYS ranked highly yet their overall talent level has varied significantly since the early 90s. SU's best ranked classes ever (that I remember) came at the end of the McNabb era when we were ranked on the edge of the top 25 (I believe the class with Mo Jackson, Mo Minter and another receiver I'm blanking on, was considered basically top 25). we all know how that played out.

I just think if you're a recruiting service, it's easy to identify the can't-miss types and it's easy to say, "Hey oregon and usc did well. texas did well. Oklahama did well, ND, FSU ..." but I'm not entirely sold they do a particularly good job predicting which teams are on the rise. I'm 99% certain, for example, that they didn't see Boise or TCU becoming BCS regulars or UConn producing five first-day picks in one year a couple years ago.

Stars matter, but turning down a 3-star and signing a 2-star is hardly cause for consternation, IMO.

Act like a child? You said that some people on here have no clue (meaning me). You expect me to read that and move on quietly?

I don't know if I am following your argument about Miami. Even if you are right about Miami, how about Alabama, Auburn, Florida and the other past national championship teams?

Huh? I'm OK with acknowledging that stars aren't entirely meaningless, but these services are usually spot on? I think any recruiting coordinator in teh country -- if speaking candidly -- would acknowledge that recruiting in general is, at best, an inexact science and that the services, while a valuable resource, are a LONG way from gospel on any level.

But this gets into a chicken-egg argument. I follow ND, they are ALWAYS ranked highly yet their overall talent level has varied significantly since the early 90s. SU's best ranked classes ever (that I remember) came at the end of the McNabb era when we were ranked on the edge of the top 25 (I believe the class with Mo Jackson, Mo Minter and another receiver I'm blanking on, was considered basically top 25). we all know how that played out.

I just think if you're a recruiting service, it's easy to identify the can't-miss types and it's easy to say, "Hey oregon and usc did well. texas did well. Oklahama did well, ND, FSU ..." but I'm not entirely sold they do a particularly good job predicting which teams are on the rise. I'm 99% certain, for example, that they didn't see Boise or TCU becoming BCS regulars or UConn producing five first-day picks in one year a couple years ago.

Stars matter, but turning down a 3-star and signing a 2-star is hardly cause for consternation, IMO.

I understand your point and think this conversation has turned into a debate with no clear answer.

Act like a child? You said that some people on here have no clue (meaning me). You expect me to read that and move on quietly?

I don't know if I am following your argument about Miami. Even if you are right about Miami, how about Alabama, Auburn, Florida and the other past national championship teams?

Auburn, Florida, Alabama all had coaches go out and scout. Miami just used the scout/rivals rankings to scout. That is the argument.

I trust Marrone's scouting over Bob L, or Farrell or any of those guys. If they have Parson rated higher than Neal than turn down Neal. He should have committed earlier if we were his number 1.

According to TOS, this must mean Morris has verbaled would be my guess, maybe close with Perkins as well. Yu gotta believe the class filled out real well if we aren't pursuing lynch, or just ran out of spots.
If Morris has committed here or elsewhere it's a secret so far from us all includingTOS and newspaper and John Garcia who I know would love to bust this story out to the Scout subscribers.:rolleyes:

You realize those were the worst Miami teams because their coaches stopped evaluating and just went after the kids with the most stars, right? None of those teams were ranked, so no, stars didn't correlate. I

Obviously it sucks to see a guy with the offers like Neal get turned down, but you don't know if Parson graded higher on our staff's scale.

Also, confused as to why you have to act like a child. I'm giving you the reason we stopped recruiting this player.
"No more room" is a fact of NCAA life. Its not personal I don't think taking an offer away from a kid is the right thing to do. Bashing dreams on the rocks of reality is not the job of recruiters even though kids can do that to fans by flipping at LOI time. Get over it We can only recruit Florida so much. Miami as well as the other two big time football schools get to fish in those waters at will.We must coach up the quality we get and work harder to get better players willing to come here. Thats the way its always been and probably will be.

I have no inside information but reading between the lines I would say we have another running back commitment that hasnt been announced yet. The most likely option seems to be Morris. If that is true Morris played against much higher competition in Georgia on a team that had a good record. If Morris or someone of his caliber gave a verbal before Lynch you have to take them. Lynch played BC and SU doesnt have time to sit back and wait to see what he does now. If SU brings back TPG, Jerome Smith, AAM, Rene and brings in McFarlane and another RB there is no room for Lynch no matter how many stars he has.

What the heck happened to Gulley in that weightlifting accident, jeez it's taking awhile for that info to come out.

Yeah ask Aaron Rodgers how that whole prospect ranking thing worked out ... sorry but relying on a service to truly evaluate your class is not going to get you very far. What you fail to realize is that some of these "rankings" are skewed simply by who offers ... doesn't sound to me like it is as truly objective as you would like to believe that it is.

I have no inside information but reading between the lines I would say we have another running back commitment that hasnt been announced yet. The most likely option seems to be Morris. If that is true Morris played against much higher competition in Georgia on a team that had a good record. If Morris or someone of his caliber gave a verbal before Lynch you have to take them. Lynch played BCz and SU doesnt have time to sit back and wait to see what he does now. If SU brings back TPG, Jerome Smith, AAM, Rene and brings in McFarlane and another RB there is no room for Lynch no matter how many stars he has.
The more likely scenario is we have two running backs, Morris and Perkins, that we think we can land, and whoever commits first gets the spot. Marrone stating the class is done is probably more of "we have evaluated everyone, are still recruiting these few targets, and whoever commits gets those spots".

We aren't getting Lynch. He didn't "play" us at all, he was never really interested.

The more likely scenario is we have two running backs, Morris and Perkins, that we think we can land, and whoever commits first gets the spot. Marrone stating the class is done is probably more of "we have evaluated everyone, are still recruiting these few targets, and whoever commits gets those spots".

We aren't getting Lynch. He didn't "play" us at all, he was never really interested.
I said he played BC

To say the recruiting services are spot on for 2 & 3 star ranked recruits is a reach at best. I'd be interested in seeing a statistical analysis of 2 & 3 star recruits and their ultimate success rate.

Even for the 4's and 5's, I'd be willing to be the accuracy ratio is in the 65% - 75% range.

Yeah ask Aaron Rodgers how that whole prospect ranking thing worked out ... sorry but relying on a service to truly evaluate your class is not going to get you very far. What you fail to realize is that some of these "rankings" are skewed simply by who offers ... doesn't sound to me like it is as truly objective as you would like to believe that it is.

Without doubt recruiting services aren't without their flaws. This was not the debate but thanks for adding.

Without doubt recruiting services aren't without their flaws. This was not the debate but thanks for adding.

We were debating the validity of recruiting service rankings and how good they are at evaluating talent ... this most certainly applies ... but whatever it seems you are dismissing it because it goes against your argument ... recruiting sites miss often on players and their are teams like Miami that rate very high that never live up to their billing like bnoro said ... and then there are teams that do ... not even sure at this point what you are trying to accomplish with your argument. Once you get below 4/5 stars there is a lot of room for error ... even with 4 and 5 stars there is quite a bit of leeway ...